Capri 22 vs. J-22

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Brett Hamm

I'm looking for a first boat & want something performance-oriented that is a good racer but can also accomodate a family with toddlers on a day sail. The Capri 22 looks like a good fit, and easily available. I'm interested to hear from anyone with thoughts on how this boat compares to the J-22. Many thanks, Brett

S

Sam Sharpe

Capri 25 better for family

Brett, get a Capri 25, much better boat for Daysailing with the family. Much more room, big cockpit, very fun to sail.

G

George

Capri 22

I can't comment on the J-22, but we have a toddler and a Capri 22. While there are times that I would like a larger boat such as a Catalina 25, I still have to say that we are delighted with our Capri 22. It works fine for us, and has enough performance to outrun a lot of what is on our lake, not withstanding that I've only been sailing a couple of years. We did add safety netting, and use a tether to keep our daughter from jumping overboard. While the cabin is not as big as it would be on a C-25, it has enough room for her, and is designed such that the seats/berths are at a good height for her to stand in between on the floor and play with things, or to climb up and fool around on the berths if she wants. The forward hatch is also at a great height for her to stand on the v-berth and look out. If I were shopping for a Capri 22 again, I would definately go for the racing package, simply because I think it makes a lot of sailing more convenient than without it. I would struggle over whether to get the fin keel or the wing keel, noting that we have the fin keel now, and love the extra stability it gives the boat. I understand the wing keel can make the boat a bit "tippier", and hence would stay away from the tall rig if I got the wing keel. On the other hand with the fin keel, we need to have the boat lifted in and out of the water, rather than launching from a trailer on a ramp, which is a down side. All in all though, given the fact that we have very little problem with shallow water where we are, I would probably opt for the fin keel again. One other option I would get, is the optional galley that is now available. The primary reason that I think about going up to a C-25 or C-27 is for the extra room when cruising. As a day sailer the Capri 22 is hard to beat. Good luck on the choice. George

J

Jamie Downing

J is faster

The J/22 is faster, hands down. The J also has a nicer spar, rigging, etc. and is VERY well built. But the J/22 has a small uncomfortable cockpit and can be a bit crouded with more the 3 people. The Capri has bigger interior and more "usable" space. It's a trade off speed vs. comfort. For the money, you can get a nicer Capri 22 (AND never seen a race course!)

A

Andy Jones

I race in a one design fleet of Capri 22, wing keel standard rig boats. In the PHRF fleet we have some J22s. The Js are faster, however they do not have lifelines, they do have a fin keel and are built for racing. A fin keel and the tall rig would probably make the Capri 22 much more competative with the J. The Capri 22 can acomodate 4 adults while racing and possibly more if cruising. The wing keel draws 2.5 feet and works quite well as long as you keep the boat up to speed. Once you slow down the keel starts to loose effectivnes and more leeway is the result. The standard rig is fairly powerful and the helm is very responsive. I would recomend the Capri over the J for multi pupose use and the J over the Capri for racing only.

Status
Not open for further replies.