capri 22 sails

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

john

club racing yesterday with a 155 genoa and was overpowered. my 22 #152 came with a 110 jib and a 155 genoa. capri 25's have 90 jib and 130, 150 genoas. i have found 130 genoa for 22, any input. ty, john

E

Erik

Jib selection

I have a furling 135 on my Capri 18. I was interested in a bit better light air performance, so inquired about a 150 at Catalina Direct. They said that the 135 is a better all-around sail and that it would be more durable than the lighter (material-wise) 150. They suggested using a cruising spinnaker w/ the furling jib.

B

Bryan Sperling

Reefed main?

Sorry about the other notice, I hit enter instead of tab. Anyway, I sailed my capri22 #646 yesterday in about 15-20 knots of wind. Another capri owner advised reefing the main and flying the 155. I still had some weather helm but the boat handled very well. I have also tried using the 110 with full main but found that I was still overpowered upwind and underpowered downwind. This is the first time I have reefed the main since we sail in mainly light air here in TX. I was pleased with the results in using the 155 and reefed main.

D

Dave & Charity Monroe

Balancing power on Capri 22

We have raced #683 (wing keel) for 7 seasons including a 3rd finish in the 1993 Eastern Nationals. The 22 is pretty tender (especially the wing keel version) and sails better at lesser heel angles. If you are racing, it is more efficient to reduce headsail size first and then when you are down to the jib, to reef. Keep the boat on its feet to weather and choose spinnaker or poled-out jib for downwind based on how wild the conditions are. We have a large Capri 22 fleet racing one-design here with some very good sailors (Star Worlds competitors) and most boats have a 155%, 135%, factory jib, and 90% full-hoist jib. We have outsailed boats with full main & 155% in heavy winds to weather by using our 90% jib and reefed main. If you are rounding-up, you are overpowered and need to reduce headsail size. You also need to be VERY judicious in using the traveller to relieve helm pressure or carefully using the mainsheet. Dumping the main too frequently with the sheet is SLOW. Our e-mail is mdmonroe@home.com if you desire more comments.

P

Pat

Knocked over with 110

Re: Balancing of 22. Sailing yesterday was surprised with sudden winds of 35 mph up from 10 mph. Full main and 110 jib were up. Decided to reef main,and was hit by a gust that handheld meter registered 58mph. More like 40 plus I think. Boat went over and cocpit filled over ankles. Upon righting there was lake plants on winch. Took down jib and made decent headway in 25-30 mph with full main. Too rough to motor and no smaller head sail. Seems correct that boat sails better with reduced heel and I have found smaller jib is better than 155 in heavy weather. Where can I get a 90 jib that fits 22? Thanks, Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.