Capri 22-- Location of Mainsheet Traveler

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rob

Has anyone repositioned the location of the mainsheet traveler so that it is not positioned right across the middle of the cockpit?

B

Bryan Sperling

Mainsheet traveler repositioning

I have wondered the same thing as I have a Capri 22 also. The only place I can see putting it is on the stern rail with a rig similar to the one used on the Catalina 22 boats. It would have to be a stronger version and you would lose alot of traveler scope, but that might work.

V

Vaughn Buck

Mainsheet traveler repositioning

The trouble with moving the travaler to the stern is that the boom stops way short of the stern. The mainsheet would cause the helmsman to duck a lot since it would be right in the way. It could be put just in front of the entrance to the cuddy. With the right hardware, the mainsheet could still be positioned near the helmsman. This is the location on some larger boats.

T

Tom Peckham

Mainsheet Traveler

I was looking into buying a used Capri 22 and wondered about the traveler as well. Have there been any responces? What is it like sailing the boat with the traveler in place were it exists now? I was somewaht undecided upon the Capri 22, Catalina 22 and maybe a S2. I liked the larger cockpit of the Capri over the Catalina. I have a mooring, but I want to be able to take the boat out if the weather gets really bad. How is the Capri 22 to sail? My conditions would range from little wind to strong wind and almost heavy sees.

B

Bob Berhow

mainsheet traveler

I moved my traveler forward next to the cabin bulkhead. Installed mid-boom sheeting. Much better sail control and not at all hard to reach. I installed a track that runs the width of the cockpit. This system has served well for over 3 years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.