Capri 22 110 Jib?

Feb 16, 2017
Could you please take a picture of the cabin top next to the teak trim showing the window to the companionway sliding hatch.
I think you are missing a set tracks.
Also could you please tell me if this is a Tall or Short Rig?IMG_5079.JPG

Oct 3, 2006
Hunter 23 Philadelphia
Looks fine to me - a deck sweeper gets you a little more sail area down low, where there isn't much wind anyway. The trade-off is visibility to lee!

That said, there should be some kind of fairlead before the winch.

Jul 31, 2010
Catalina Capri 22 39 Seneca, SC
Hey @odj22sailor, it's a standard rig. I got the answer from Ullman, who sells a 100% jib designed for cabin top sheeting, where clearly mine is not. I suppose it is often called a blade on this boat (or a deck sweeper per Brian). I tried a barberhauler to sheet the existing sail down and in, kind of like yours, but the lower shroud interferes with the sail and I can't get a decent sail shape anyway.

With a different sail and sheeting position at the cabin top I do not know what kind of results to expect in upwind performance. The boat should point closer but what would the effect be on boat speed?

Feb 16, 2017
I assume you most likely talked to Brian Dair at the Long Beach loft is that correct? If so I have known Brian for 30+ years he is a good guy!
Yes, that is what I discovered sailing the Capri with a Jib (blade), the shrouds get in the way of the sheet, that is why I installed tracks in front of the sliding hatch.
I currently sail boat for boat with J 24's, S2 7.9's and we are faster downwind in flat water. Remember I have a tall rig mast and a bowsprit.
A blade is very fast for a Capri 22 if it is designed correctly. Most sailmakers are making the sails too round and the sails are being over trimmed.
If you would like to know more send me a PM so we can talk over the phone. I sell sails and I am a rigger for over 30 years myself I am glad to help or consult.

Feb 7, 2010
Catalina Capri 22 MKII 1097 Grove, OK
I returned a 110 because it came with a high clew. Wanted the sail so I could use my cabin top tracks and point the best possible. The loft sent me a low clew designed for cabin top tracks. I'm very pleased with it. Otherwise your 110 is just a large storm sail.

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 http://www.chelseayacht.org
Looks like you do not have the "Race Package" which includes cabin top tracks and blocks. Coming back directly to the winch ??? When sheeted in, the sheet should point directly up the sail to 1/2 way up the luff.

Feb 7, 2010
Looks like you do not have the "Race Package" which includes cabin top tracks and blocks. Coming back directly to the winch ??? When sheeted in, the sheet should point directly up the sail to 1/2 way up the luff.
The first high clew 110 wouldn't pull down to the block on my cabin top and split the angle of the clew as it should. The second sail they sent me after I returned the first had a much lower clew and worked as it should. I think the first sail was designed for a furler as SRoberts picture. I was sick. All that money and I still couldn't use my close hauling Cabin Top tracks. Thanks for your input.

Jul 31, 2010
Catalina Capri 22 39 Seneca, SC
@Windy City - how does the "deck sweeper" perform? Are you able to hold a tight heading with it or does it tend to bear off?

@HERSH - the sheet-to-winch rig is well suited for sails posing for a photo.

Feb 7, 2010
@Windy City - how does the "deck sweeper" perform? Are you able to hold a tight heading with it or does it tend to bear off?

@HERSH - the sheet-to-winch rig is well suited for sails posing for a photo.
The 110% Deck sweeper as you call it is my best headsail. When Ullman replaced the first one They shipped me a "Race" version with Battens. It sails very solid and points the best. I just changed out my mast to a Tall Rig and have a new set of Ullmans on order including a 110 "Race" with battens just like the one I have for the Standard Mast.