Capri 18 battery

Oct 20, 2020
Catalina Capri 18 Tahoe
I have a 1989 Capri 18 and the next project is to upgrade the electrical. Owned her for a few years and never had a battery in it. Did some reading here and online, sounded like a Group 24 battery would fit, bought an Interstate 24M today and it was just a bit too wide, would not drop all the way in place. Measuring and reading more, I think a Group 22 would fit, but I'm giving away some amp hours going with that smaller battery. Group 22 options seem to be vary limited as well. Would be interested in a lithium chemistry battery.

Can any owners please advise exactly what size, and current brand and model fit in their boat?

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
How Much do you know about marine batteries? It’s kind of a big and complicated subject.
Ive done a fair amount of reading, and I’m certainly no expert. After much angst and debate, I went with a group 24 AGM.

Now after reading your post, I’m a little nervous. I don’t know if the battery compartment changed. My boat is a 1993, and the old group 24 battery fit. It was snug - I won’t know for sure until I pick it up from winter storage.

The lithium ion batteries seem promising. I would have gone that route, but the price tag turned me away. They may actually be cheaper when you factor in their life expectancy, but the up front cost is pretty shocking. You can also drain them down to nothing and recharge them without damaging them.

For reference. I trailer my boat (it lives in my driveway). I tend to go for a weekend, and then charge my battery when I get home. There isn’t much on a Capri 18 that drains the battery. I do run my radio a lot, VHF is always on when I’m sailing, cabin lights and running lights occasionally. I installed a USB charger. I figure that’s essentially free. Phones are measured in micro amps. I haven’t gone through the process of replacing everything with LED. Honestly I just don’t use the lights much.

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
Not all group 24 batteries are identical, they can vary in size a bit from brand to brand. They are nominally 10.25x6.81 inches, but for example a Duracell is 10.75x6.75, an X2power is 10.87x6.6, the LiTime LFP is 10.23x6.61.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
What are you using the battery for? Can you add up the amps that each device draws and how long you expect to use each of them?

Oct 20, 2020
Catalina Capri 18 Tahoe
Here's my work, I believe I calculated everything correctly at 12v? Worst case usage, USB assumes charging a phone and iPad once or twice a day. Replacing the front running lights with LED might not be easy, but I think I can replace the rear bulb pretty easily.

1711246257088.png

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Here's my work, I believe I calculated everything correctly at 12v? Worst case usage, USB assumes charging a phone and iPad once or twice a day. Replacing the front running lights with LED might not be easy, but I think I can replace the rear bulb pretty easily.

View attachment 223731
Group 24 batteries are usually around 70ah, you could easily run 2 days without recharging if you start with a fully recharged battery. For you purposes, an inexpensive LA battery would be fine. Going with LFP won't offer much except more expense.

The big issue with any battery is properly recharging it.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago

View attachment 223731
Your VHF will draw significantly less because it's transmitting maybe 1% of the time. It doesn't take much power when you're receiving. Product specs usually list the maximum draw for a few seconds, not the average. Think of how long batteries last in a portable radio.

A cheap way and easy way to upgrade navigation lights to LED lights is to open it up, see what bulb is in it, then go online and search for an LED version. It'll probably be labelled for automotive use

I'm a been a fan of small sealed lead acid batteries. they last longer than most people think they will.
Group 24 batteries are usually around 70ah, you could easily run 2 days without recharging if you start with a fully recharged battery
I went half a season on one charge with my first cabin cruiser! I ran the radio, nav lights, bilge pump and maybe one or two other items, mostly for day sails. That battery didn't last much longer after draining it to 10v
Group 24 Deep cycle AGM on sale for $73! (Don't know about shipping or core charges)

I think for the OP this would be just added expense and complications as AGM has different charging requirements

Attachments

Last edited:

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
He didn't say what his charger was. I wouldn't normally recommend AGM since they are generally more than expensive than LFP or FLA, but that one is a deal.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
He didn't say what his charger was. I wouldn't normally recommend AGM since they are generally more than expensive than LFP or FLA, but that one is a deal.
That it is! I actually took a couple of minutes to think about upgrading. In the end I think it would be more work and the cost would be higher as I would have to upgrade two batteries

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
A cheap way and easy way to upgrade navigation lights to LED lights is to open it up, see what bulb is in it, then go online and search for an LED version. It'll probably be labelled for automotive use
You have to be a little careful retrofitting bulbs like that. Replacement LEDs not designed for marine use could emit interference and impact VHF reception. Also the light might come from different point sources than traditional incandescent, reducing visibility especially when the boat is heeling.

Oct 20, 2020
Catalina Capri 18 Tahoe
Thanks for the responses so far. I'm just not going to mess around with trying another group 24 battery and not have it fit. I think I'm going with a 50Ah Renogy Li battery, good deal on one right now, under $200 delivered and smaller than the group 24 footprint, so fitment should not be an issue, and should have plenty of power for a day.

I'm going to install solar for power/charging, a 50w panel and Morningstar controller is the plan.

As for retrofitting bulbs, the issue mentioned above is one reason I was cautious about the front running lights, I have also read that the LED color can cause the green to turn blue as well. Still, would like to add that to my upgrade list.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
As for retrofitting bulbs, the issue mentioned above is one reason I was cautious about the front running lights, I have also read that the LED color can cause the green to turn blue as well. Still, would like to add that to my upgrade list.
They’re definitely a big improvement in power consumption, and they can be done right; just takes some care to make sure what you’re getting complies with all the right regs.