Cape May NJ to Lewis DE

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
Just dreaming of summer and thinking of possible destination. I was wondering if anyone has sailed from Cape May to Lewis. If so I was wondering how bad the crossing is on the Deleware Bay. I'm sure the current gets ripping. I've had plenty of experience on the Del Bay in a power boat but not with my sailboat.

I was also wondering if anyone has any knowledge of marinas in Lewis that would offer transient slips.

Thanks and Happy New Year to all.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
To Lewes across the mouth of the Bay? Done it by ferry. I would think that in a sailboat the drift due to outgoing or incoming current would be significant. It is a 16nm distance that if done in a straight course would take around 4 hours but with the drift I would budget at least 6+ hrs. I would not attempt it on an outgoing tide as any miscalculation may put you out in the Atlantic. It may require a period of favorable winds combined with an incoming current during daylight hours. We cross the Gulf Stream in a zig-zag pattern as not to fight the current at its strongest point while minimizing drift. Hope someone who has done chimes in with some first hand experience advise.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Check for slack tides at both ends, and at both tides. Pick a favorable day if you have a choice.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Typically the current is less on the sides and rips in the middle. The Delaware at the mouth is both a river and a tidal bay. The crossing is a good test of your trip planning, pick a course and time that allows you to ride a flood tide and ebb tide and includes weather planning. I have sailed the Delaware making 5 kts through the water and 2 knots across the bottom. Plan wrong and that kind of thing can put you way off your float plan.

There is a public dock and some slips in Lewes but I never stop there. I Stay anchored behind breakwater at Cape Henelopen on transits in and out of Delaware Bay. Very protected, you just need a dink to get ashore.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Just dreaming of summer and thinking of possible destination. I was wondering if anyone has sailed from Cape May to Lewis. If so I was wondering how bad the crossing is on the Deleware Bay. I'm sure the current gets ripping. I've had plenty of experience on the Del Bay in a power boat but not with my sailboat.

I was also wondering if anyone has any knowledge of marinas in Lewis that would offer transient slips.

Thanks and Happy New Year to all.
Folks have sail smaller boats around the Delmarva. I sail my beach cat across and back once. It's just a matter of watching the weather. There's no reason you can't coast hop considerable distances.
http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2009/09/trip-report-2009-delmarva.html

Dec 27, 2012
Thanks for the quick responses.

We would sail from Ocean City Nj to Cape May (28 miles). Spend the night in Cape May and then make the 16 mile crossing to Lewis.

Sep 6, 2015
Unknown snipe delaware bay
Just for the record, it is Lewes. Public dockage is 1 dock at the drawbridge in town. The canal can be treacherous at low tide, as well as the inlet. The bay also sees a lot of commercial traffic. Tanker and cargo, so do not take the shipping lanes lightly.
Eric

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I would go out the Canal which will put you in the protected waters of Delaware Bay. I would sail up the Bay on a South westerly course before turning to cross the channel. Watch out for heavy, large and encumbered traffic in the channel. As previously indicated the current will be at its strongest in the center so keep your eye on the speed over bottom and turn to go with the flow and once out on the other side then hug the coast to Lewes. Besides the current there is a need to minimize your time spent on the shipping channel. Look for a weather window where the wind does not oppose the current as the bay is known as "the home of the square wave". The Bay is shallow but you should not have a problem with draft in the 240.

May 27, 2015
Beneteau Oceanis 41 Havre de Grace MD
Be very cautious when crossing the channel as the commercial guys are generally coming down on a falling tide and taking the pilot boat along side to remove the bay pilot. they are moving fast and may not see you. And watch out for the Bay Ferry those guys are crazy. :biggrin:

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
While we are on the subject of Commercial traffic...whether they can see you or not, it is your responsibility to avoid Commercial traffic. We see problems with this ALL THE TIME on the Ches. Bay as boaters wander in to their path and make a nuisance and danger of themselves. If you see Commercial traffic and believe you may be crossing their path get on VHF Ch. 13 and hail the bridge pilot. ID the ship and general location. (Here is a great use for AIS). ID yourself and vessel type.
Ask if they see you, and if you have a proper course to avoid them. Pilots REALLY like this kind of courtesy and you will help make all of us look like the competent boaters we are supposed to be. No need to fear Commercial traffic if you show proper respect, navigation skill, and boater competency.

May 27, 2015
Beneteau Oceanis 41 Havre de Grace MD
What Gunni said.. I talk to these guys all the time when I am underway and I have an AIS transponder on board.
For them it is nice to know what the other guy's intentions are. One less thing to worry about.
Take it from me. (Retired USN OOD)

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Is Lewes worth the destination? I'd think it would be a nice trip. Why would it be desirable to take the inner route (from canal to the bayshore) rather than an outer route, which would save distance and time?

Dec 27, 2012
I would take the outer route. It's approximately 16 miles from the Cape May inlet to Lewis. It's about the same distance from the canal but I don't think I would take that route.

I know the commercial traffic can be heavy and would be a concern.

Hoping for a quickly passing winter.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
In my experience, commercial traffic is predictable, visible long before they arrive, and easy enough to avoid. Don't let these convince it's like playing in the street. You just need to pay attention and monitor 16. You want to avoid following the exact course the ferries take, obviously.

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ
I would take the outer route. It's approximately 16 miles from the Cape May inlet to Lewis. It's about the same distance from the canal but I don't think I would take that route.

I know the commercial traffic can be heavy and would be a concern.

Hoping for a quickly passing winter.
Let me know when you're taking that trip. Will meet you at Cape May and tag along.

Traffic can be somewhat heavy but nothing that can't be managed with an attentive watch and a plan. Have done Philly to AC, C&D to AC and vice versa numerous times and have not had any issues at all. The bay is nasty during heavy weather but I've had some of the nicest sails on the bay too. Moved from AC to Cape May at the end of last summer so I will probably be spending more time out there and taking more destination trips to mix things up a little.

Dec 27, 2012
Jack, that sounds great. I will get in touch with you when the trip comes together.

We would probably spend the first night at Utches marina in Cape May. Unless you suggest a better location.

Jun 1, 2007
O'Day 322 Mt.Sinai
I've sailed southbound on the Delaware Bay from the C&D Canal to Cape May 3 times; on a friends 310, once on my O'Day 322, and once on a friends 38 Yawl. I've learned what "square waves" are.. Pick your day, the south end of the Delaware Bay can be brutal.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
OP, is Lewes your final destination? There is nice Sunset Marina in Ocean City- presently buried in snow.

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ
[QUOTE="We would probably spend the first night at Utches marina in Cape May. Unless you suggest a better location.[/QUOTE]

Utsch's is a fine place. We considered there when we made the move last summer because it is at the inlet but we have a 13 year old who is starting to venture out so we figured it would be more fun for him to be able to walk to the beach or boardwalk.