CapCut video editing

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
@TomY nice! I‘m hoping to sail up to Maine this summer.
(That rock in the water at the beginning looks a little too close for comfort :oops: )

Jun 14, 2010
I started to download CapCut but decided I don’t like their "privacy" policy. As I interpret it, and maybe I’m wrong, there is nothing private about it and they can potentially use all your data on your device as they please. Then it begs the question of how this “free” software is financed? Bytedance PTE is owned by Beijing-based parent company ByteDance. So is TikTok.
Not trying to be political, but as an IT guy with security training I advise caution - avoid this.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
as an IT guy with security training I advise caution - avoid this.
Is there additional data they could pull besides the videos you are working on ? They don't ask for any additional info when you download the program.

The reason I ask is that I've been using it for the last 6 months. If they're looking for anything of interest, they'll die of boredom first.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Is there additional data they could pull besides the videos you are working on ? They don't ask for any additional info when you download the program.

The reason I ask is that I've been using it for the last 6 months. If they're looking for anything of interest, they'll die of boredom first.
6 months, great to hear, Ralph. You are my canary in the coal mine.

I plan to settle with a pay-for-app but for the time being, this one is teaching me a lot. It's already fitting into my plan: Pre-edit some or most of my work on the boat.

My biggest problem with my intro to video is storage. Even shooting HD, or 1080P, the footage will eat up memory fast. My iPhone 14 can shoot in 4k which takes massive storage(I'm not likely to use that much unless cropping it).

Instead of waiting to get home to download a load of video, I hope to transfer (card reader) from my DSLR SD right into my iPhone on the boat.

From there, I can chop off unwanted footage in the phones photo app. I may even go farther and import into an editing app. You can keep several 'projects' in the apps like a filing system. Unlike some, I work pretty well on a small screen.

• Helpful
Jun 14, 2010

:thumbup: When you're happy with your situation boring is good.
Would you knowingly install a computer virus? Software updates are released not only to add features, but in the case of legitimate software are primarily to fix bugs and stop security vulnerabilities.
If you don't trust the publisher, an app is risky. Both the FBI and the Federal Communications Commission have warned that ByteDance could share user data with China's government.
Even if it "plays nicely", the potential for malware (malicious software) is just one update away. There are cases where apps from legitimate publishers have been compromised because a hacker was able to insert one element of code that provided a vector for other malware to be silently downloaded. When you install an app and give it access to your devices system resources it can access what you give it. If you allow access to camera, microphone, photos, etc then it can record you and gather data about you and your contacts from the data and the metadata, including dates, times and locations of events. If you also give it access to location services it can be used to track you in real-time. If it has access to networks it can learn about the networks you connect to and what else is connected to those networks. "Big Data" analysis can extrapolate even more information from the overall info than any of the parts would reveal by themselves.
If the app is "legitimate" it will behave by the rules and only access those things for the intended use of the user. If it's not, it can potentially be weaponized as a hacker spy tool to escalate its privileges and gather information from your work network and emails, record device screens, and potentially steal trade/government secrets and passwords (or private information that can subject people to compromise, and hacking of related information).
Having malware on your device is like carrying a little spy balloon gathering information that can potentially be weaponized later.
This is why many in government are concerned about TikTok, and why the app is banned from many government computers. There are many other apps under scrutiny that aren't making mainstream news.
It's why I don't use kaspersky antivirus or install DJI apps, either.
(PS - I have a DJI drone but installed the software on a $50 android phone that's dedicated to drone use, has no account information and is never connected to my private home or business network. )

• Helpful
Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
When you install an app and give it access to your devices system resources it can access what you give it.
Thanks @Captain Larry-DH . Something else to keep me awake at nights :yikes: .

I like your idea of of the cheap Android (for your drone) which is never connected to your network. If one were to download the CapCut program to a "cheap desktop" and then completely disconnect that computer from the outside world, would that render the program harmless ? I there any chance a processed video could do harm once it got onto another computer which IS connected to your network ?

• Helpful
Jun 14, 2010
Thanks @Captain Larry-DH . Something else to keep me awake at nights :yikes: .

I like your idea of of the cheap Android (for your drone) which is never connected to your network. If one were to download the CapCut program to a "cheap desktop" and then completely disconnect that computer from the outside world, would that render the program harmless ? I there any chance a processed video could do harm once it got onto another computer which IS connected to your network ?
It's unlikely a processed video could harm someone else, but it's not impossible. If still you want to use it, I advise isolating it from your other stuff and only giving that device a public internet connection (not your internal network) and don't log into your email or other private accounts from that device. Treat it as if it's listening, copying data and recording screens and keystrokes (even if it's not).
I'm not saying it is doing those things. I'm saying every program is potentially doing those things and it's a question of trust. I choose not to trust ByteDance.

Last edited: