Can't Shift

SteveB

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Venice, FL
Coming into the marina yesterday, my H34 would not shift out of forward. Put my brother on the helm and shifted manually at the transmission itself. Today, looked in the binnacle and linkage at the transmission and could not locate the problem. I adjusted the two nuts on the linkage at the spring loaded assembly at the transmission (see photo) with no change.
The shifter at the pedestal level will shift into forward (pushing down on the cable essentially) but will not pull up to move into neutral or reverse. In fact, the lever pulls all the way back past 90 degrees on the pedestal (see photo).
Anyone else run into this problem and have an idea of the cause?
Linkage at transmission.jpg
Pedestal Shift Lever.jpg

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
Broken cable . It will move forward since it is pushing the broken part through the cable sleeve but when pulling back nothing. You can confirm this by having someone work the shifter while you watch the linkage. If you see the cable move forward but not back the cable is most likely broken.

Good luck

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Going to have to pull the compass and look at the cable end support in the pedestal. The tab may have broken off the support ring that the levers go through. I had to replace that whole support collar on mine when that happened.. Phil recently had some made so you can source one through the store if that is the problem. In the "downloads" section of boat info, I put the parts blow-ups from the old Merriman literature.
here is the part: http://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod.php?54883
As Victor says, it may be cable also, so check it out..

SteveB

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Venice, FL
Stu, Victor, Kloudie,

Thank you for the prompt and informative replies. Had my brother work the shift lever and got the reaction you described. Thanks, Kloudie for the sources. I have he compass out and will check that thoroughly this morning. Thanks for the part blow-ups. will be ordering cable and perhaps more from Phil today.