cant lift my Tohatsu 9.8 hp

Apr 18, 2009
Newport MKIi 30' Channel Is. CA
Just bought a 1975 C27 knowing the motor couldnt be raised fully. Not sure on the best course of action. I dont have a trailer so doing maintinance out of the water is not possible. Options that come to mind are closing off the well and adding a lift bracket. Or trying to fit the lift into tbe well.
I dont think there's room to enlarge the well opening.
Thanks Buzz
20191013_142727.jpg

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Try removing the cowling. That's the way I've been managing my 9.9 2 stroke for the past 19 years. It tucks under the lazarette hatch, but you'll have to remove the hinges. I cover it with a canvas outboard cover leaving the cowling in the hatch. I did this as a temporary solution all that time ago, thinking I needed to modify the opening so I could kick it up when sailing. What I found is that leaving it down when sailing gives you the convenience of an inboard with very little, if any performance loss, thus I kept moving the modification back down my priority list. I have picture on my other computer if you're needing some visual reinforcement.

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
Just sold a 1975 C27 this summer we owned for 12 years. We also had an outboard on the transom - Yamaha 9.9 from 2002. The PO built a teak doghouse on the aft lazarette hatch that accommodated the tilted motor. Always felt the un-reinforced transom was a little underbuilt for a 100 lb 4-stroke outboard. Nevertheless, really glad we could tilt the motor out between sailing as it really gunked up if left in the water, as we did on some occasions. Plus that means you may not be freshwater flushing it if in salt water. That's really important, and will eventually lead to a motor replacement in a relatively few years when it corrodes from the inside. I concur that the underway drag penalty for leaving it down is well worth it so you don't have to mess with it while underway. Different equation if you're racing though. We replaced an old Yamaha 9.9 early on in ownership and quickly realized very few 4 stroke 9+ HP outboards would fit the cutout in the transom - pretty much just the Yamaha. In fact, I don't think new Yammies will fit. And you're right, not a lot of room to enlarge the opening. I do see more than a few who completely dodge the problem by closing off the transom and adding a spring lift bracket on the stern.

Good luck with the boat. I found her a joy to sail and explored much of the central and northern Chesapeake bay with her.

Apr 18, 2009
Try removing the cowling. That's the way I've been managing my 9.9 2 stroke for the past 19 years. It tucks under the lazarette hatch, but you'll have to remove the hinges. I cover it with a canvas outboard cover leaving the cowling in the hatch. I did this as a temporary solution all that time ago, thinking I needed to modify the opening so I could kick it up when sailing. What I found is that leaving it down when sailing gives you the convenience of an inboard with very little, if any performance loss, thus I kept moving the modification back down my priority list. I have picture on my other computer if you're needing some visual reinforcement.
Please and thank you !

Apr 18, 2009
what do you do about lower unit maintinance. Are you on a trailer. unfortunatly mine lives in the water.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
How much does it come up, and, can the transom be modified to allow the cowling to clear the bottom of the upper well? I know this is not an option, but a smaller motor maybe? Is this motor the recommend motor by the manufacture?

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
How much does it come up, and, can the transom be modified to allow the cowling to clear the bottom of the upper well? I know this is not an option, but a smaller motor maybe? Is this motor the recommend motor by the manufacture?
Brian that boat was designed and built in the heyday of 2-stroke motors, so the much larger head on the modern 4-stroke motors don't readily fit into the well so they can be tilted out. The typical motor on those older C27s is usually an 8-9.9hp high thrust outboard (unless its the old Atomic 4 inboard). To accommodate the larger 4-stroke motors over the years owners of those old boats have had to modify the stern in some way.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Should you be considering a modification to the opening, consider this. The best way to go is "UP". If you lower the mount level by a few inches, the shaft may interfere with the swept back rudder. As it is, my long shaft tohatsu will not go exactly vertical because of that which can cause a "squatting" action if you're powering hard.
My neighbor's C27 has a nifty conversion with a 9.9 Yamaha that has power trim... which means he can raise and lower the motor with the touch of a button. He notched down enough so that he could keep the lazarette hatch in place.... but now admits that was a mistake and wished he had done all the expansion on the top edge and then figured a way to mod the hatch.... (there are a couple of ways to go with that). There is plenty of room at the top.... you can go all the way to the rub rail.... if you have split backstays there is no issue with strength... but with a single backstay I'd recommend a horizontal "tang" to spread the load.

I've had my eye on a 9.9 or 15 Hp Tohatsu…. but I want all the bells and whistles... including power trim... it'll be somewhere in the $4k range...plus I'll want to tackle the modification. sigh.... maybe next year.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
what do you do about lower unit maintinance. Are you on a trailer. unfortunatly mine lives in the water.
You back the boat up to a dock and simply lift the motor off. You can do your maintenance there or, as I do, take it to your trusted mechanic. I have the mechanic service the motor yearly... about $175.