Can't Drain Hot Water Heater

Feb 27, 2004
Hunter 335 North East, MD
I have a Seward s 600 hot water heater with rear heat exchanger . Last year I installed a by pass valve so that I wouldn't have to put the "pink stuff" in my hot water heater and just drain it to winterize. This year when I went to drain the tank I only got out about a pint of water. It's a six gallon tank so I would assume that there is more in there than a pint. My process was to turn off the water pump, open the hot water faucets- attach hose to my hot water heater's drain valve , open the drain valve and use a drill pump to get the water out but other than the aforementioned pint nothing else came out. I removed the hose from the drain valve and still nothing came out. I tried some other combinations of closing the faucets , turning the pump on etc but nothing- I'm stumped any thoughts ? Thanks

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
I have a Seward s 600 hot water heater with rear heat exchanger . Last year I installed a by pass valve so that I wouldn't have to put the "pink stuff" in my hot water heater and just drain it to winterize. This year when I went to drain the tank I only got out about a pint of water. It's a six gallon tank so I would assume that there is more in there than a pint. My process was to turn off the water pump, open the hot water faucets- attach hose to my hot water heater's drain valve , open the drain valve and use a drill pump to get the water out but other than the aforementioned pint nothing else came out. I removed the hose from the drain valve and still nothing came out. I tried some other combinations of closing the faucets , turning the pump on etc but nothing- I'm stumped any thoughts ? Thanks
Try opening the pressure release valve on the tank....

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I usually open the drain valve, and the TP valve, and use an air compressor to blow air into the TP valve to force the water out faster. The drain on my WH is very small, and may have some junk in it. But the air pressure does push the water out.

I use a blowgun on the air hose, and wrapped a bunch of electrical tape around the tip so I can shove that into the TP valve to keep most of the air pressure in the tank. I would like to get a fitting to screw into the TP valve with a quick disconnect air fitting on it...then I would not have to hold the air hose in place (which is a pain in the rear).

Greg

Feb 27, 2004
Rick nailed it- I went over today and opened the pressure valve and voila water started flowing- I knew you folks would come up with a solution- Thanks ( and yes I feel a tad for not thinking about that :doh:

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
You can also leave the pump power off and before shutting the bypass open a hot water faucet. That will create a vent and you will get good flow. For good measure I do that...and also open the pressure valve.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2004
Thanks Claude I will remember that for next year- I write all this stuff down in a repair/maintenance log I keep as I am too old to remember stuff from year to year:cool: