Can't convert your Honda outboard to

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike B.

remote controls if you have a BF9.9 "D" model. This is a newer model (mine is '01) and according to Honda (just talked to the Georgia HQ) was sold with either tiller or remote control PERIOD. I added a tiller link and was hoping to convert to remote control - but now I'm SOL. Anybody thinking of buying a motor packaged with the boat should think about whether they want to always face backwards when shifting/throttling before they plunk down their $2,700 USD for this thing. Lesson learned the hard way. BTW there is no "D" in the model number or serial number; that's just how they designate it.

C

Crazy Dave Condon

HOnda 9.9

I had purchased the Honda 9.9 for customer boats and converted them for use with wheel steering. However, the engine and cowling were changed for the year 2002. I had HOnda take back the two and give me two other older models for them to work with the pedestal steering. You can still get the remote seperate but will have difficutly running the cables to the Pedestal. Any luck from anyone please advise.

R

Robert P. Fliegel

Mike, Nothing Is Impossible!

I am going through the same problem myself. The first thing I did was to pick up a shop manual to see the difference between the tiller and remote units. Believe it or not, there is not much of a difference (I would say about 14 to 16 parts!). Second, I ordered the remote parts that I needed to convert my engine plus two cables and the remote shifter. Honda has a nice shift lever for $139.00 which is the unit I have ordered. Honda use to have a kit which they sold to convert from tiller to remote for their models through 2000. I hope this information helps. Regards, Bob

M

Mike B.

Bob, can you tell me

what year is your BF9.9 and what part numbers you are getting? It sounds like you are ordering individual parts and not a kit, correct? If that is the case, it should make for a very valuable addition to your website or the project forum here - if you wish to take on that job. Many thanks.

B

Bob Inkrot

Hey Dave- could this be why mine does not start?

I also have the newer model with cables to an Edison pedestal. Could this be why it take up to 20 hits to start? See a previous thread (12/11/03 titled Honda 9.9) regarding starting problems for the models with the automatic choke. Thanks for your assistance & welcome back.

C

Crazy Dave Condon

mechanic I aint

YOu probalby have the throttle and gear selection on the pedestal and your engine is 2000 model or older which I am assuming. I have found that engines when it takes a long time to start, the first is the carb is gummed up and that does not matter if is gas or gas/oil. Clean carb first and then you may see a difference. If you have a key switch, it may be deffective or something is preventing you to have the choke closed when starting a cold engine. It is hard to comment without seeing the motor but do clean the carb first and I use 2 plus 2 carb cleaner. It works wonderfully.

B

Bob Fliegel

Mike, Here Is The Parts List!

Mike, I took some photos (7) and am posting them in the photo forum. They include my parts list I sent to my Honda dealer, the parts list and picture he sent me, a picture of the shop manual showing how the remote controls work and two photos of the engine and, if you look carefully, you can see where the remote control arms bolt on to the engine frame. I will post photos after I receive the parts and complete the installation. Regards, Bob Fliegel

Attachments

M

Mike B.

Bob - U Da Man!

Thanks a million. I don't know why Honda doesn't put together a kit, as they did with the older engines. Hopefully the install goes smoothly. Nice choice on the control - I favor the top mount as well (and it's cheaper). Keep up the excellent work.

B

Bob I.

Thanks Dave

Thanks Dave, I'll give the carb cleaner a try. You are correct the controls are on the pedestal, but the engine is a 2002 model if that makes any difference. Have a great weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.