Canoe stern and following seas

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Don't recall ever being seriously pooped. However, last summer I learned the gaskets on my hatches were shot when we punched through a wave and I watched water poor through the dogged down hatches.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Double enders ware popular for the kind of seas they were designed and expected to sail iin, primarily te Baltic and North Sea. Short steep seas running DDW. Not like ocean seas.
Unless you plan to keep your stern directly into the seas you are adding a bit of boat that big seas will slap as they go buy forcing you into a broach.
They have less buoyancy astern so they are more easily pooped.
And you loose that nice lazarette..
A good read; Once is Enough

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
"Once is Enough":plus:... great read.

Waves... Never pooped (yet). Avoid sailing is big, breaking wave conditions.

I have taken water over the bow a few times.

At 13, I was standing at the rail, near the bow on the second deck of a Channel Ferry as we crossed the English Channel. I chose a spot just behind a frame member that blocked most of the wind yet still gave me a view of the excitement. The Channel was angry, the passengers were puking, and one of the younger officers arrived at my side to see if I was ok. Just then, I shouted hold on, as we headed into a trough and the top of the oncoming wave was above the bow. The ferry took green water over the bow and we both got soaked. It was recommended that I return inside the boat by the officer. Not as much fun as standing out watching the fury of the Channel.

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
There are plenty of comments that come to mind. “Why would ya?” Or “The Feather” by Henry Gibson (
)

On a serious note, the Bow rudder as seen in the photo has been discussed among boat designers (Bow Rudder Possible?) and tested like front and rear steering on cars or canard winglets on planes with varied success. These innovations often generate discovery that a ‘good idea’ requires other changes to make it work. Sometimes making the fixes negates the perceived benefits.

I say, “have at it”, on your boat.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
"Being a double ended boat there is perfect balance when heeled. In other words, unlike a transom stern boat on which the heeled centerline shifts to leeward at the stern, with a double ended boat the centerline stays on center when heeled. On a transom stern boat, when rolling the shift of the CL astern (but not at the bow) induces yaw, which results in difficult steering control. By contrast, the inherent balance provided by a double ended hull shape does not induce any added yaw, therefore providing greater steering stability, and much less weather helm under sail."
33' FREYJA - A Pelagic Sailing Yacht

There is some interesting information on double enders in the site linked above.

-Will (Dragonfly)

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
nice design Will. like the drawings.
i don't understand what these others are talking about. must be some riddle that's too advanced for me.
some sorta code that makes no sense. not nautical terms.

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
Oh come now Jon. Haven’t you wished your could slip that yacht into the prime minimal space left between a couple of yachties on the pier in front of the restaurant. Just come up parallel, rotate Rudder and slide in between the tie up hogs.

oh. 411. Slang for “what are the facts, just the facts. “

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
On a serious note, the Bow rudder as seen in the photo has been discussed among boat designers (Bow Rudder Possible?) and tested like front and rear steering on cars or canard winglets on planes with varied success.
@jssailem
I don't think that is a bow rudder. YOu can see the prop is just before the rudder. I think that is a boom sprit for a yawl or ketch rigged boat protruding off the back and not a bow sprit.

May 25, 2012
never heard 411 slang on a boat. must be a landlubbar thing.
how old do you think the OP is Will? all slang used. sorta code for something. sails a laser, maybe, could be the OP's parents laser.

this puzzle ain't much fun so far. does it get better?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
never heard 411 slang on a boat. must be a landlubbar thing.
WAIT! I'm calling a senior moment here.

When we were younger you would dial 411 to get the operator and she would answer "Information". And then you would ask for someone's phone number. That is old-school Ma'Bell stuff there.

411 is now street slang for "information only".

:thumbup:

May 25, 2012
"street slang" "land line" this is terra firma talk. have not used '811' yet, prolly coming as a next clue.
all greek to me.
for information back in the day, the party line would work.
yepper, i'm old. 'high milage' lots of senior moments with me.
it's helpful that you translate this youngin's clues.

i did notice on will's post that a shapely woman is in the galley while the male captain is commanding his vessel. that's an old school style. must be another clue. the canoe stern vessel is about beauty, style, ........ and many call their sailboats "she". could be on to something.

this riddle is still unsolved

May 25, 2012
the dockmate for my father's US one design was a wooden Tahiti ketch. quite a contrast in designs. the fastest boat next to the slowest boat at the club, back in the sixties. looked at that pointy stern many times. that stern was wide, prolly had lots of floatation. has me wondering about this puzzel.

May 25, 2012
so, i always understood that a canoe stern was designed for blue water sailing and that the canoe stern, sailing down wind, was less likely to be grabbed by a breaking wave and thrown into a broach. broaching a 1,000 miles from nowhere could be bad. it was in contrast, to say my CCA era boat, where my long overhang could be more susceptible to be grabbed by a breaking wave and spun as the bow was digging into the wave ahead.
never broached aeolus in 46 seasons. yeeeh haaaw

Last edited:
  • Wow