Canadians Cruising in US

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Like @Hello Below I talked with the PT CBP officer. It is his regular duty to be available in PT. He did say after hours can be arranged a long as he gets approval or manages his schedule for comp time. While willing (if schedule permits) the 4-6 hour advance call can occur, it is not always going to happen. He said with 24 hour advance notice almost any thing is possible. He was willing to set an appointment 3 days out when I called.

That leads me into the reason I had to go to Port Angeles to check in last year. My forgetful friend Larry chose to try his wife’s passport as evidence of his US citizenship on our trip to Canada. While the Canadian’s were willing to let it slide, we could not get the agent in PT to be so accommodating while he was sailing “as a man without a country”. “I think you better visit the Point of Entry” was the recommendation of the PT agent. So we sailed from Victoria to Port Angeles. Tied up at the dock and waited about 30 minutes fo the CBP Officer to visit the boat. (Other duties at the Commercial docks, was the explained rational) The office on arrival asked for my passport and boat papers. The usual questions about booze, fruit, meats... Any crew?
  • Me: Why yes sir. That is why we are here.
  • CBP: And where is your passport?
  • Larry: Explanation...
  • CBP: What do you think we can do? This is not the Mexican border. You must have identification to enter the US.
  • Larry: Yes Sir... suitable humility showing...
  • CBP: What ID do you have?
  • Larry: Oregon Drivers License.
  • CBP: Looks over the license. “This is very unusual”. Do you vouch for him?
  • John: Yes sir. (Boy that could have gone either way...)
  • CBP: Ok. Don’t let this happen again. It is a serious issue.
We quickly boarded the boat and pushed out to sea before he could change his mind.