Canadian boating laws

Feb 18, 2011
Catalina 42 42 Windsor
(NOTE this is in Canada).....I read on line that the life of flares on vessels is now 4 years instead of 5.
Also, the rules that applied to 100 ton vessels with regards to Government approved charts and government approved lists of lights, ColRegs etc, now apply to all ! The rub is that if you are in familiar waters it is not necessary, but when traveling, you are on the hook. It sounds like they are leaving it to the Water Cops to decide. I can't find much out about this. Any other Canucks know anything on this??

Mar 2, 2008
Cal 25 mk II T-Bird Marina, West Vancouver
Always has been four years. Look it up in your CCG safe boating booklet that is available for free at all marine stores.

Sep 28, 2008
Canadian Sailcraft CS27 Victoria B.C.
I agree - 4 years after date of manufacture.

Not sure what you mean about charts etc. Canadian vessels have always been required to carry paper charts if not in familiar waters - regardless of size.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
It sounds like they are leaving it to the Water Cops to decide. I can't find much out about this. Any other Canucks know anything on this??
You realize, of course, that we have no Water Cops in Canada. Canadian Coast Guard mandate is serach and rescue ONLY. No enforcement. This is why we have so many deaths on the water and the nut cases rule the waters here on the west coast.

I know our neighbours to the south continuously bad mouth their Coast Guard and their endless regulations which they enforce. What a difference that would make up here. I wouldn't get whiplash from trying to see and avoid every drunken power boater out there.

Feb 18, 2011
Catalina 42 42 Windsor
Yeah, I was corrected on the flares today. Don't know were I got that. Maybe that is the limit in the States?? I read the safe boating book on line and saw in bright red letters NEW. It goes on to say that previously, only vessels over 100 tons had to have up to date Canadian charts and all the other publications for the areas travelled. From now on every vessel has to have them. They implied that it wasn't required in home or familiar waters. That seems to be at the discretion of the water cops. P.S. you may not have them in B.C. but we have them by the boat load here!

Jan 4, 2006
P.S. you may not have them in B.C. but we have them by the boat load here!
Send a few of them out this way. We need them in the worst way.

From what I see, in order to be a proper power boater you should:

- not have a pleasure craft license number on your bow (or anywhere else).
- not have a Pleasure Craft Operator Card (or ANY formal training).
- disregard all Colregs at all times when on the water.
- always put your kids on the bow of the boat (without lifejackets).
- not carry any safety gear.
- be drunk out of your mind at all times when on the water.
- be as obnoxious and annoying as possible to other boaters when on the water.

The scenery is beautiful here, the drunken power boaters are a scourge.

Attachments

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2011
Catalina 42 42 Windsor
The FUZZ

I dropped my O'day 30 in this morning at 9 and was underway up the Detroit river to East Windsor by 11. After turning out of the boat yard I was passed by the Lasalle Police. I moved into the main channel and was buzzed by US homeland security. At the Ambassador Bridge I was checked over by the Windsor Police. I was then shadowed by another homeland security boat and also saw two of their white SUV's on the Detroit side. Closing in on my Marina I was passed by a US coast Guard RIB with a 50 Cal machine gun tripod on the bow. You can have as many as you want. Careful what you wish for, a lot of locals who played by the rules have left boating due to the hassle.

Jan 4, 2006
After turning out of the boat yard I was passed by the Lasalle Police. At the Ambassador Bridge I was checked over by the Windsor Police.
I'm pleased to see that the Canadian constabulary is there to keep an eye on things. The US side is only interested in security.

I can safely say without exaggeration, if that was to take place in the Vancouver area, AT LEAST 25% of the boaters would be off the water immediately for impaired operation.

Sure, the cops are watching but I don't see a problem. Imagine what a large cruiser, full throttle, on autopilot, give way position, and everyone down below with martinis could do to you. Now THAT'S a problem :eek:.

Sep 28, 2008
I've seen a lot of impaired boaters, some of whom have been drinking.:)

Sep 28, 2008
Yeah, I was corrected on the flares today. Don't know were I got that. Maybe that is the limit in the States?? I read the safe boating book on line and saw in bright red letters NEW. It goes on to say that previously, only vessels over 100 tons had to have up to date Canadian charts and all the other publications for the areas travelled. From now on every vessel has to have them. They implied that it wasn't required in home or familiar waters. That seems to be at the discretion of the water cops. P.S. you may not have them in B.C. but we have them by the boat load here!
I have owned boats in BC since 1969 and I was told back then that paper charts had to be on board. I agree with it.

Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 33.5 Elbow, Saskatchwen, Can.
Nothing worst than an impaired jetski (lake lice) driver's/owner's usually after dark without lights on!

Feb 18, 2011
Catalina 42 42 Windsor
Charts and stuff

LAKE LICE...love that! We call boaters who never leave the Marina..' Dock Potatoes.' I can't find anything to indicate that the Charts and other publications were enforced prior to this notice. It seems very shady (How they are doing it.) As for the Water Cop'z the problem is that once the idiots are gone they still need to generate revenue. In a local bay they stopped a guy motoring his 2 HP dingy 50 feet to see a friend at noon time and charged him 300 dollars for no nav lights. He had all the required safety stuff but the flashlight was dead. This was in a protected bay. That is excessive and all to common around here. Like I said, be careful what you wish for.:naughty:

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Ralph, the best response is a rendezvous, and have enough dock taken up to prevent unmasted vessels access.

Here inland, they know the authorities as "fish cops" and they usually stand in the parking lot of the launch area and demand to see the boaters card. They tend to get a little, um, pissy when they get called on jurisdiction. You can't boat in the parking lot, that's our story and too bad if they don't like it.

It's too early in the season yet to have a ski boat take up residence in a houseboat. Soon enough.

Feb 18, 2011
Catalina 42 42 Windsor
circle the wagons

If you set up a rendezvous where the vessels create a circle here, you will be told to open it and allow access to emergency vessels. If you anchor for the night and BBQ with a few beers make sure no one hops in the water with it or floats on an air mattress tied up to the stern. Open alcohol in public. Forgot to row the dog in for it's bedtime wizz? That is public drunkenness if you are over the limit. Anchor drag in that front that blew through? Let the boat go on the rocks, you start it and your drunk driving. If this sounds nuts...it is, but it all happened down here.

Feb 6, 2013
Hunter 31 Deale, MD
Re: Flares: Can't we just go by the expiration date stamped on each cartridge?

(Found some on my boat that expired in 1999, courtesy previous owner...two owners ago actually.)

Jan 4, 2006
circle the wagons

If you anchor for the night and BBQ with a few beers make sure no one hops in the water with it or floats on an air mattress tied up to the stern. Open alcohol in public.
Good Lord ....................... they can charge you with impaired swimming :confused: :confused: :confused: ?

Is there no happy medium in this world anywhere ? I think I'm heading for the far north coast and staying there until the fall. You can go for days and not see another boat.

Sep 28, 2008
Re: Flares: Can't we just go by the expiration date stamped on each cartridge?

(Found some on my boat that expired in 1999, courtesy previous owner...two owners ago actually.)
In Canada flares aren't marked with the expiration date. They are marked with the date of manufacture and expire 4 years after that.