Can you sail with one of these?

Aug 11, 2011
catalina 22 Islamorada
I see these covers. Looks pretty cool. But you cant sail with it could you? and if not what purpose would it be? looks like a pain in the arse to setup if you cant sail with it.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
I see these covers. Looks pretty cool. But you cant sail with it could you? and if not what purpose would it be? looks like a pain in the arse to setup if you cant sail with it.
to be perfectly honest, we cant really answer either way.... is there supposed to be a photo posted with your thread?

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
No. You can't sail it with it on the trailer.

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Allan,
Yes, you can sail with the pop-top up and the cover installed, but you shouldn't, or at least I wouldn't sail with it up because it requires you to disconnect the boom vang. Motoring down the intercoastal, I would, and intend to motor when I get the new design boat finished. They are really a nice option to have, and they only take a couple minutes to install. Real nice if you're on the hook, or motoring down the intercoastal and it starts to rain. At night they gives you standing headroom in the cabin. Plus on the original and new design boats, it gives you some additional storage on top of the cabin at night. But...the pop-top covers for the original C-22 version and the new design C-22 are not interchangeable.

Here is my new design C-22 with the pop-top cover, and my MK-II C-22 with a custom pop-top cover made for us. They are not cheap, but are a very desirable item sought after by the cruisers.

On the North Gulf Coast Cruise earlier this year a storm came up the last night of the cruise. We were kept dry and comfortable in the cabin with the extra room the cover supplied.

Don

C-22 1988 610.jpg
C-22 MK-II POP-TOP COVER 009.JPG
C-22 MK-II POP-TOP COVER 004.JPG

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2011
catalina 22 Islamorada
ok just for giggles your first picture
It "looks" like you could move the bottom of the boom vang up to just above the canvas top.
It would be a very steep angle definitely not the "best" angle but I wonder if it would still work?
If you used something like one of those thumb screw stoppers for the mast track put an eye loop on it instead of the thumb screw.
Then just move your bottom boom vang up to it.
Again I don't have one just going by your photo but it kind of looks like it would work.
I mean the basic function of it is to pull down on the boom to keep it from rising down wind.

Wouldn't take 10 mins to try it. Or not was just lookin at it.

Thanks for the informative answer though Don.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Don's post says it all.
It's VERY easy to set up, but I'd not consider sailing with it on and pop-top up.
Motoring in calm conditions I think it would be great.
I can tell you from experience, that for use when anchored/moored it's brilliant, and I'd replace ours in a second if/when it wears out.
The door on ours reaches to the bottom of the hatch so you can leave the hatch-boards out.
We had ours up overnight in very strong winds and were as snug as a bug.
As Don mentioned, the cover is snapped along the edge of the cabin top, which leaves a very handy shelf space to put things.
In an older C22 you would have the added benefit of having standing headroom at the stove location.

It's nice to be able to put your pants on like a human on a rainy day.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I love love love our pop top tent, it's worth every penny and then some. Helps with bugs, helps with rain, helps with wind, helps with cold ... and the most amazing thing is, the cabin seems to get BIGGER when you put it on, not smaller or more confined like you'd think. And like Don said, it creates a great big wide shelf all the way around the hatch opening. AND more privacy. I swear it's like adding a foot or two to the boat, the difference is that dramatic.

But I would be pretty reluctant to sail under it. The vang is one reason, plus it would seriously impair your forward vision. Maybe in the middle of nowhere, in really light air, or under just a jib ... but I personally would rather remove and stow it each morning. It only takes five minutes or less.

Nov 18, 2023
Catalina 25 Marblehead
Allan,
Yes, you can sail with the pop-top up and the cover installed, but you shouldn't, or at least I wouldn't sail with it up because it requires you to disconnect the boom vang. Motoring down the intercoastal, I would, and intend to motor when I get the new design boat finished. They are really a nice option to have, and they only take a couple minutes to install. Real nice if you're on the hook, or motoring down the intercoastal and it starts to rain. At night they gives you standing headroom in the cabin. Plus on the original and new design boats, it gives you some additional storage on top of the cabin at night. But...the pop-top covers for the original C-22 version and the new design C-22 are not interchangeable.

Here is my new design C-22 with the pop-top cover, and my MK-II C-22 with a custom pop-top cover made for us. They are not cheap, but are a very desirable item sought after by the cruisers.

On the North Gulf Coast Cruise earlier this year a storm came up the last night of the cruise. We were kept dry and comfortable in the cabin with the extra room the cover supplied.

Don

View attachment 116232 View attachment 116233 View attachment 116234
May I ask who made your custom pop top cover? We have a Catalina 25 and have been looking for one for forever! Even to just make a pattern and no luck!

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
May I ask who made your custom pop top cover? We have a Catalina 25 and have been looking for one for forever! Even to just make a pattern and no luck!
CaptDon traded his C22 for a trawler and left this group several years ago, sadly.

• Sad
Nov 18, 2023
Catalina 25 Marblehead
CaptDon traded his C22 for a trawler and left this group several years ago, sadly.
Awww!!! He has so much experience and advice! What s loss! Thank you for responding. You might laugh at this, but we just bought a second c25 to rehab because it has s pop-top cover! The cover is s bit of disrepair but I can use it for a pattern and make one!

Sep 25, 2019
2002 Cat 22 MkII Lake Somerville
Just for clarification...the pop-top cover shown in the photos from CaptDon came as standard equipment on his Cat22 MKII model. I too have the same pop-top and agree it makes the cabin feel much larger when installed. Would not attempt to sail with it installed but guess it would be possible under the right conditions.

And yes...our forum is not the same without CaptDon adding his contributions. :(

Fair winds....
Zinger88
~~~ _/) ~~