Can you fix the stuffing box in the water?

Dec 11, 2019
Sail SailBoat Madang
Hi,
Can you fix the stuffing box in the water, in terms like add one or two extra layers if it is leaking while engine run?

Also with out having insurance paper yet...

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Assuming you are referring to a traditional flax packing stuffing box, it’s common practice here where boats can say in for a few years to re-pack in the water. Just cut the flax in advance to the right size, have the proper tool to remove the old stuff and keep a few rags handy to contain the water until your are done. Typically a few gallons flow into the bilge which is no problem.

If all you intend is to add another layer, that makes it a pretty dry operation.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It can be done.
Make sure you have a functioning bilge pump.

You can use rags or twine wrapped around the shaft to reduce the water flow.

Follow Don’s suggestion to precut the flax.

Use a piece of pipe that is the same size as your shaft to precut the flax. Cut the flax on a 45 degree angle. Orient the flax in the stuffing box so that the cuts are spaced evenly around the shaft.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi,
Can you fix the stuffing box in the water, in terms like add one or two extra layers if it is leaking while engine run?

Have you tried to hand tighten the stuffing box to slow the leak? May not be necessary to remove or add packing. How much is it leaking with the shaft turning? Or not turning?

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
Yes. I expect that it is usually done that way. Water will be coming in the whole time but not so much that a proper bilge pump cannot handle.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
As tricky as this reads to do it all properly, e.g. inspecting hose and shaft wear, cleaning out old flax, etc, I'd do it out of the water. Circumstances may not allow that.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Greeting @milens777 and welcome to the site.

All of the above is good info BUT the best procedure is to STOP the water ingress rather than getting you sox wet.

Fig. 5.jpg

If your gland is out in the open like this one, you've got all day to do the job.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
I just did it last summer. I only added one wrap of stuffing material and did not try to clean out the old. I plan to do that at the next haul out. Took less than 2 minutes after I took 6 months to work up the nerve.:biggrin:

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Hi,

You actually want the stuffing box to leak while the gearbox is engaged. A drop of water every ten or fifteen seconds is good. This indicates the stuffing box is properly lubricated and cooled. When the gear is in neutral, the leaking should stop. When adjusting the stuffing box, do so in small amounts, so that the stuffing is not packed too tight.

Dec 11, 2019
Sail SailBoat Madang
Many thanks for the valuable answers,
I bought and been working for 6 months on a Tartan 30 sailboat, everything is done and now ready to install the engine, which is out
the boat has been in the water for few years with no move, and i want to be prepared if something goes wrong as the box looks a bit old.
Now i am a bit more confident, if it leak will tie it more as there is space between.

Thank you again

Yacht.jpg

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Many thanks for the valuable answers,
I bought and been working for 6 months on a Tartan 30 sailboat, everything is done and now ready to install the engine, which is out
the boat has been in the water for few years with no move, and i want to be prepared if something goes wrong as the box looks a bit old.
Now i am a bit more confident, if it leak will tie it more as there is space between.

Thank you again

View attachment 188471
That's a very handsome boat.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
I did stuff additional packing on water. Rag around the stern tube really helps stem water coming in.

Ken Y

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
I did stuff additional packing on water. Rag around the stern tube really helps stem water coming in.

Ken Y
Maybe it varies from boat to boat, but on my last three boats I just let it leak while I changed out the packing. My bilge pumps easily kept up with the flow.

Maybe the first thing to do before anything else is simply to back the nut way off and see how the bilge pump does keeping up with it. Do it so that you area getting full flow but also can quickly screw the packing nut back on to stop/slow the flow before you actually start removing the old packing and what not. If you see that your pump can readily keep up with it, this will give you peace of mind to work at your leisure.

• Helpful