Can this trailer be launched by ramp?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Use to launch and retrieve I the 29.5 with a trailer as a dealer now retired. @Meriachee hit some things on the nailhead but you need support under the forward portion of boat. Even use to launch over bulkheads and bridges as well. Be glad to talk with you next week if you want to

Oct 30, 2011
Hunter Cherubini 27 Mason
Given enough time and money you can do anything. Easiest and simplest way is have a marina lift it off and set it in the water.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
There are many places with no lift nearby which I experienced so a trailer launch may be necessary as sometimes it takes a long time to get the boat to it’s destination or no lift on the lake

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I still consider it is best to watch than to be the ringmaster in a circus act. The trailer would need to be modified and realize you are taking the financial responsibility if anything goes South. How were you thinking of stepping the mast. They can usually quote you for the whole job. As long as there is a lift available in the vicinity, it is a no brainer.

Last edited:
May 7, 2019
Hunter 29.5 Lake City MN
We have a large manual crane I can use to step the mast myself, so that parts free. I'm just thinking if I want to take a long weekend trip to lake superior the cost would be $200 each time I pull out/put in. So that one trip would be 3 lifts = $600. Plus the start and end of each season I have to pay it again. Just adds up pretty quick.

Dec 31, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Charlottetown
We have a large manual crane I can use to step the mast myself, so that parts free. I'm just thinking if I want to take a long weekend trip to lake superior the cost would be $200 each time I pull out/put in. So that one trip would be 3 lifts = $600. Plus the start and end of each season I have to pay it again. Just adds up pretty quick.
Ahh, the joys and cost of owning a boat.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Two axles is minimal if they are 6k each. If you lose one bearing on the road, you’re going to over stress the next one.
An extra axle, proper brake controller, keel guide, keel stop, and at least two more pads. Then, carry on.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Mighty funny that the only way to launch and retrieve on Kerr Lake/bugs island big boats to include a Hunter 44 by Tritons Yachts and American Marine &Sail Supply
was to hire a crane to deal with the masts and to trailer launch on a known long ramp. That was the same lake where boats were launched over bulkheads and bridges when the water was low. Paul Wells and myself had to do it that way sometimes working together for example that 44 Hunter I sold

Feb 11, 2019
Hunter 29.5 Bristol, PA
I came across your post because I'm looking for a trailer for my 29.5. Did you just buy this boat last year? I saw the add for one with a Trailer in the mid west, but decided it was too far to go and purchased one on the Chesapeake.

At my club we ramp launch boats up to 31' on trailers. NOT EASY, but can be done. Here is what we do:

1) Our club owns a tow truck (1970's vintage). At high tide we use that to move the trailer to the ramp, block it and move the tow truck about 75 feet up the ramp.
2) We use huge straps (like the ones the boat lifts use) to reconnect the tow truck to the trailer
3) Then we unblock the trailer, let it go back till the boat can be floated onto the trailer
4) Pull the boats up the ramp.
5) Block, remove strap, hook tow truck to the trailer, and move to our lot for storage.

We do this with a handful of club members. It's a bit unnerving the first few you do, but we have done it for years without any serious issues or damage to a boat.

That said, I am in the market for a trailer, so if you are thinking you might be interested in selling yours, let's talk.

JR
SV Moxy
Bristol PA

Feb 10, 2017
Hunter 41 Progreso
i would not put that nice trailer in salty water, in the long run you will regret, from disk brake to everithing else will be destroyed, much cheaper in the long run not to do it.