Can this trailer be launched by ramp?

May 7, 2019
Hunter 29.5 Lake City MN
Looking for advice on a boat we are getting. Hunter 29.5, It includes this trailer. Is it possible to launch this type of trailer by a ramp? Or do I have to pay the marina $$$ every time I want to move it via travelift?

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Having only experience with bunk trailers with wakeboard boats, I would think if you had a steep enough ramp you could with help but how would you load it and get it back up the ramp?

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Does the trailer have a telescopic tongue? If not you need to acquire an extender.. An extender attaches to the trailer and should allow vertical movement but NOT horizontal. It then is attached to the tow vehicle.

Having the above in place, you can launch.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
LAUNCH....with an extender .... maybe. But you are going to need a long ramp that is also steep. However, I think you will have to pay the marina to lift it out and set it on the trailer. I could be wrong and you might figure out a way to pull it out and keep everything aligned but you won't be able to do the "hunter bump" to align the boat in the bow stop with a boat on pads.

Twille

Oct 8, 2012
Hunter 38 Henderson, nc
You can both launch and pick up with that trailer. First you need a long deep ramp. Second on you will need a long extension to get the trailer in far enough depending on how steep and deep. 3rd you will wind up swimming to pick the boat up, you will need to get the boat centered over the cross bars and sitting on the keel and then adjust the trailer pads to keep it straight. Tie a line around the keel to the front of the trailer to keep the boat from floating back on the trailer while you are pulling it out. (Or just have the yard do it, it’s safer)

Twille

Oct 8, 2012
Hunter 38 Henderson, nc
Ps loved our 29.5 - the admiral loves the 38 more (we know who lost that one)

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
If you have a good enough ramp, you can ramp launch that trailer. It may involve the use of an extender &/or a long strap/rope. If you launch a painted trailer in salt water, the trailer will most likely not be long for this world.

Few ramps in my area are suitable for launching a keel that deep.

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
That trailer appears to be a transport trailer and looks like it is missing the bow support pad. A ramp launch trailer needs rollers to be able to launch and retrieve the boat. That boat I believe it's weight is too much to safely launch by a trailer.
The pads cradle the hull at different levels and can't be lowered or the boat would become unstable. The pads are placed at strategic points to support the boats bulkheads. Plus how to you instead to step the rig? The rig has a lot of waight and needs to be craned on to the boat.

If I recall that boat has a draft of approximately 4' and sitting on a trailer looks like you would require at least 5-1/2 feet to float off.

Mar 13, 2011
Islander Freeport 41 Longmont
This trailer should work fine. Forget the extender. You'll never get one long enough. Learn to launch it with a strap. You will need to add a wheel at the tongue to support the tongue. You can arrange to have the spare serve that purpose. Look back on the threads in this forum for how we use straps to launch boats up to 30' easily on almost any ramp.

Send me a private IM if you can't find details on how to start launch this boat and I cam give detail. We do this eatery year at our club with no,problems.

Victor

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
They trailer launch bigger sailboats than that at Perry where we bought our Hunter.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
First off, let me welcome you to the forums. You have a beautiful boat. Pay attention to these guys. That are awesome, friendly, welcoming, helpful and highly knowledgeable. You have chosen wisely.

My gut feeling for that trailer and that boat is that Capt Robbie is exactly right. It will take being able to completely submerge that trailer to float the boat off and on. Not only will you have a hard time finding a ramp that will make that possible, you will need a tractor to haul it back up the ramp after loading when everything is wet and slippery and as heavy as it gets.
The simple answer is no.
As someone who is engineer minded, of course it can be done. :D

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 8, 2015
MacGregor 26S, Goman Express 30 Kerr Reservoir
Yes, it can be done. Here is a pic of me pulling out a 30' boat with 4.5' of draft.
Notice how nice and level the boat is in the first pic.
Coming out.jpg

I was somewhat surprised when we did get the boat up the ramp.
Finally on the trailer.jpg
Take Twille's note of caution seriously. "Tie a line around the keel to the front of the trailer to keep the boat from floating back on the trailer while you are pulling it out." Don't ask me how I know this, I would really rather not relive that experience.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
The boat could easily be launched from that trailer. The problem you are going to experience when loading it on the trailer is that there is no keel guide to hold the boat square from side to side. You also need some form of keel stop, to accommodate the true pivot point on the boat is in relation to the trailer and the angle of the ramp.
A simple strap winch is sufficient to hold the boat in place from the bow, but far from adequate to take the weight of the boat.
You do not need rollers or any devices or strategies to change the position of the boat once it is on the trailer. Our keel is probably very close to the weight of this keel, and I'll tell you that without a crane, you are not moving that boat on the trailer without one.
There is a fairly detailed bunch of pages on the topic at https://meriachee.wordpress.com
dsc00437-copy (1).jpg

Dec 29, 2012
Hunter 37 Jacksonville
I think this trailer is set up for yard work. When they moved my 37 from the yard to the travel lift they used a trailer like this. There is no way to secure the boat onto this trailer. As pointed out on a previous post the bow has no secure point.
Don't think depth is the biggest concern. We used to launch our 25 fin keel. But frankly I'd NEVER do that again. We used aircraft cable, chocked the wheels unhooked the trailer, hooked cable onto hitch, unchocked, and did a crazy wild ride backwards down the ramp so there was enough momentum to get the boat to float.
A full size Pickup will tow the weight, but I think traction would be your biggest issue to get it up a ramp.

May 7, 2019
Hunter 29.5 Lake City MN
Thanks guys, if I could at least launch it myself, that would save me $200 on the travelift. I agree without some modifications to the trailer I wont be able to load the boat back on.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
We ramp launched and retrieved the J/24 (4 foot draft, fin keel) many times and have ramp launched and retrieved the Beneteau First 310 (4-3 draft) when required. Have done both with an extender (with wheels) and with tow straps. Takes a decent length ramp that you won't run off the end while you drop the boat deep enough to float it or drop the trailer deep enough to clear the floating boat on retrieval. Retrieval generally required getting in the water to some degree but can be avoided with proper planning regards tie down/guidance lines and keel line. Have to be careful that there is enough tongue weight when the trailer comes off the tow vehicle so that it doesn't tip backwards as you are preparing things and rolling it into the water. Others have also given some good guidance regarding tying the boat/keel to the trailer before you attempt to pull out and the need for a good operable front wheel on the trailer or wheels on the extender. The 310 weighs about 7,500 plus the trailer and when I pulled it, I had a buddy strap his diesel pickup to the front of my Suburban in order to pull it out, weight coming up the ramp was bit too much for the Suburban by itself. The launching is easy! ;-)

My J/24 trailer for many years did not have a ladder/bunk at the bow but I added one after 25 years! The 310 trailer does not have one either. Only issue with retrieving without one is that since you don't have anything to guide the forward position of the boat, you have to know where the boat sits on the trailer fore and aft so you can get it in the right spot before you pull out.

I would not have any concern with launching and retrieving with your trailer. But, the first time or two you retrieve, it will be an ordeal. After that, you'll be an old hand at it and you will wonder what all the fuss was about. And, plenty of helpers to run guide lines, etc. helps.

Last edited: