Can the centerboard/keel of a Hunter 260 be removed while on the water?

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I heard a rumor you can just give someone with a full keel a 6 pack and float your boat onto their trailer. Then you have plenty of clearance under the boat.
I asked @Crazy Dave Condon that very question. Other than the beer he was not a fan of the idea.

Feb 8, 2015
Hunter 260 N/A
I'm facing the same thing on my 2000 H260 this spring. The CB uphaul line topside is getting frayed so I have to assume the lower end may be doing the same and I want to replace it before it breaks.

Do you think the line can be replaced without removing the keel? By just swinging the keel down thereby getting access to the line where it's tied to the keel? My son & I are divers and, so long as the water is clear enough and we don't have to remove the keel, I'm willing to give it a go.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Because there is a one inch pin that goes thru the bracket holding the centerboard in place. As a dealer who sold quite a few I gave drawings of the first water ballast 23.5 to hunter and involved since then. You have no idea as to contributions to this industry asking nothing in return. Any other questions

Feb 8, 2015
Hunter 260 N/A
Because there is a one inch pin that goes thru the bracket holding the centerboard in place. As a dealer who sold quite a few I gave drawings of the first water ballast 23.5 to hunter and involved since then. You have no idea as to contributions to this industry asking nothing in return. Any other questions
Mr. Condon, we've corresponded before; years ago. I know of and respect your knowledge in this area. My reason for asking for clarification was so I could further understand the process of replacing the keel uphaul line.

I've read that all one needs to do in order to change the keel uphaul line was to drop the keel and the line was accessible. You're suggesting one has to entirely remove the keel in order to accomplish this?

My challenge is that the closest marina that offers sailboat rigging service (Holland, MI) is a 4 hour drive from where I live.When I contacted them about doing the work, the only thing they wanted to discuss was having me store my boat there for the winter so they "might" get around to looking at it. Maybe I spoke to the wrong person. I don't know but if there's any chance I can do this myself, I'd rather.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Go to Small Boats of Hunter small boats and repost there as you would get more advice. Explain your predicament stating you are not near any marina. Let me ponder on this but understand I err on the side of safety