Can someone tell me the make and model of this day sailer by picture?

Aug 20, 2024
catalina capri 14.2 Cortlandt Manor
Considering buying but would like more info and the owner says the do not know what make / model it is.

Attachments

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Check the transom for a number. Possibly located on either side of back of the transom near the top.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Is there an emblem or graphic on the sail? That would simplify things immensely. How long is the boat...

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Doubt it is a Lightning, it has a cut out for an outboard, Lightnings don't.
Good point, the afterdeck doesn't look quite right. But I've seen Lightnings with motor mounts bolted to them, similar to what's in these pics.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Lightnings were designed to be built out of wood. The bottoms and topsides are flat and they have a hard chine. Plus they're 19 feet long. This is no Lightning.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
There are fiberglass Lightnings. From wikipedia:

"The Lightning is a recreational sailboat, initially built with wooden plank construction and, since the early 1960s, of fiberglass with wood trim. "
Yes, there are fiberglass lightnings. However, the original design was built of wood and is hard chined, making it easy to build out of plywood, wood plank, or fiberglass. I've seen boats built of all three materials.

You're splitting hairs here, and that has nothing to do with the OP's question. Yes, it does share some resemeblence a Lightning, but it is not. It looks shorter than 19 feet. Knowing the length would help narrow the field of potential boats.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Yea, it was just my preliminary guess. :)
I though the same thing when I first saw it. When I see that "V" shaped dashboard, I think lightning. I wonder what other boats had that?

Looking back at the photos, that boat looks to be a hard chine with just a minimal radius to soften the chines.
@wfonger can you provide dimensions for the boat?