Can someone please help figure out what I have for genoas?

Jun 24, 2019
Hunter 34 CFB Trenton
Welcome! My boat is a 1984 Hunter that I bought last summer, and I'm finally getting a chance to go through the sails before the season starts. The genoa that was on the boat has some damage and I was thinking of taking it in to a sail loft fore repairs, but before I did I wanted to also look at the spares that came with the boat and make sure I'm investing in the right piece of cloth. I'm new to ownership so I know little about the maintenance aspects of sails. The boat had two spares and I've included photos and measurements (luff x clew-to-tack).

The Quantum with the blue sun shade came mounted on the furler, but the stitching holding the shade on are shot, so at the minimum it needs to be re-stitched and the bolt rope has torn off at the top few inches. It is 44'5" x 15'10".

The Hild genoa is 35'8" x 21'8" but I'm unfamiliar with the material it is made of. It generally looks like it's in better condition than the Spectrum (but what do I know) except for one tear, shown in close up in the photos. Is this indicative of material that is generally worn out or could/should it be repaired? There's no sun shade, does this type of material not need it?

Finally a Johnson genoa that bears a sticker saying it's already been re-conditioned. It's 33'4" x 15'5" and again, to me the material looks like it's in better shape than the Spectrum. It has a white canvas where the Spectrum has blue, I assume this is the sun shade.

I'm confused to how the three sails vary so much in size and aspect ratio and I'm not sure which is actually the best one for my use, which is leisurely weekends family trips. Anyone have advice on which one I should be putting my money into and are the others really worth hanging on to?

Thanks,
Jason

Attachments

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
If you take all the sails to a local loft they can give you well found opinions on each sail. In terms of general guidance, the sail with the tear and gold fibers is a Kevlar laminate and it is probably good for making hand bags, it is shot. The Quantuum sail looks to be in decent shape. The UV panel needs to be replaced or restitched. This is a common repair.

The difference between the Johnson Sail and the Quantuum sail is probably sail cloth and a slightly different cut. I didn't do the math, the two larger sails (by area) are likely #1 Genoas aka 150% sails. The smaller sail is likely a #2 or 135% Genoa. The other difference can be in cloth weight. Lighter cloth for larger sails for lighter air and heavier cloth for smaller sails for heavier air.

Still, your best bet is to take them to a sail loft and have them take a look and advise you. Then pick the option you can afford. Try an independent loft, they may be less interested in selling you a new sail. Kingston Sail Loft would a good choice.

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
How did the 44'5" sail fit. Was it all way up and way down to deck. You can also look for used sails and just go with another used sail which is probably what previous owner did the reason all sails so many different sizes

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I concur that Kingston Sail Loft is a solid reputable company and would provide you with good advice on your sails. The advice from @dlochner is bang on.

I would also commend you on taking the time to sort through your new to you boat BEFORE you set out. ;)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome @Globe Pilot . :plus: On @dlochner’s advice.
Buying someone else's boat is always an adventure. Remember the sails are the engine for your boat. You would go to a mechanic to have the engine checked (unless you are a mechanic), only makes good sense to take the sails in to a loft and ask their opinion. I had the Genoa serviced and the sun-cover restitched. Advice was the sail would serve a couple more years. It held up for 5.

And when you get the sails up, take a picture and post it. We enjoy seeing boats sailing on the water.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I think a loft's advice is in order as well. If you aren't going to do racing, consider a sail with a higher cut clew so that you can easily see, especially if you sail in a higher traffic area.. A little overlap is fine to make up some for the high clew.. The 34 can be a little tender, so a 150% sail would not be used very much.. I would guess that a 125% would be fine.. Picture below is my high cut. You can see that the visibility is great.. Its luff is around 42 feet..
IMG_0050.JPG

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Globe pilot, congrats on your new to you boat purchase, great boat!
First pic looks to be a Kevlar sail normally used as a racing sail and most likely not a good fit for your use. can't coment on the other two photos, the sail with the uv cover appears to be the work horse of all of your inventory. The sail with the uv cover appears to be a 110 or 130 % and probably a good fit for your needs.
As others suggest bring them to sail loft and let them advise you. Two of my original sails have been re stitched and re cut for 30 years before they finally gave up the fight to Mother Natures wrath. Not many sailors get that much time out of there sails, however I am a bit of a fanatic about my boat and hosed off the sails about every two to three weeks, so I guess it paid off.
As others have said the sails are your engine, so get the advise of a sail loft.

Jun 24, 2019
Hunter 34 CFB Trenton
Now I have to decide if I want to know the % badly enough to unroll it on the lawn again:)

Thanks for all of the advice, I'll drop the sails at the Kingston loft tomorrow, if they're allowed to be open. Ontario has announced non-essential businesses will close.

May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan
Can someone please help figure out what I have for genoas?

Yep. Your trusted local sailmaker can.
gary

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
There may be different Hunter 34s out there, maybe measure your J length to ensure the loft has the right info.
Cheers
dj

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
Sounds like you did not measure the LP, but can i assume the longer measurements are luff lengths? If so looking at https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/hunter-34, your forestay length is 49' less whatever length the furling system uses, then only the larger jib 44.5' would seem likely to fit this boat. The other luffs are too short. A smaller sail can/would have a shorter luff, but not that short.

As to adapting a smaller sail to a furler system, your sail maker should tell you:
1. any sail you are going to use on a furler needs a sacrificial UV cover
2. if the sail's luff length is less then the the jib full hoist length ( which makes an allowance for your furler coinfiguration), then the jib needs a strap installed at the head.
3. The furler tape sewn to the jib luff needs to extend onto the strap.