Can scoop a 25' trailer space....

Jun 26, 2023
Clark Mills Suncat Narraganset Bay
Hi, I have been waiting for a slip or mooring to open up but can now get cheap, secure 25' parking space for a boat/trailer a couple hundred yards from a good boat ramp on a military base. No wires so I think I could leave the boat rigged all season. Does anybody have the length or a catalina 22 ON the trailer (26-27'?). Will also be happy to hear opinions on the best rig for this opportunity. Thanks

Last edited:

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
I think he means total on-trailer length. He found a 25 ft parking space.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Is the Catalina 22 a fixed wing keel, swing keel or a fixed Finn keel? How much overhang will there be from the end of the trailer. A photo of the trailer parking slot would be helpful. As former dealer selling boats to the military, I have seen some spacers either not wide enough nor long enough.

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
Check with the renter of the parking lot as to specific rule of measurement because they may limit parking to documented boat length (size) rather than actual measurement prop to ball hitch. Similar to fees and restrictions when renting a slip.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I usually add 3-4' to the boat length when it's on the trailer. It's a rough number and will vary from trailer to trailer. A lot of the time people wont notice an overhang if it's just a tongue or if the back of the spot has space that's normally unusable. Personally I'd just go for it and hope that they don't complain. You probably wont overhang by much. Assuming that there's some normally unusable space at the back of the parking spot (up against a fence, parking barrier, etc), it may not overhang by more than a few inches in the front which is unnoticeable by most

Aug 15, 2022
Catalina 22 14790 Redwood City, CA
I had my wing keel on trailer in a 25' space. Just fit with me taking the rudder off. Obviously the tongue extension was in all the way.