Can I dock my boat stern first? SOLVED

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Good idea Greg! Mine is in the cockpit just aft of the lazzerette. I've heard folks suggest placing the connection amidships, but never thought about adding a second connection forward. Must have to use a pretty heavy gauge wire to run the AC back from the bow to the panel....
A PO installed it, or maybe it was an option when ordered.
it certainly is convenient.

Greg

Jan 8, 2020
brentswain 31 31 twin keeler Heriot Bay BC
If it's windy , dock bow first. Much easier, and safer. If you prefer it the other way around, come back later, when it is calm, and turn her around then, preferably by hand .

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
If the wind is coming from the slip I would back in. The wind will tend to hold the bow downwind and the boat will maintain maneuverability in reverse. If going bow in and you have a turn out of the fairway, it will be hard to get the bow into the wind in a lot of modern boats with a fin keel and a lot on windage on the bow. If you have way on it will work but you'd better be able to stop. Backing into wind is a way under appreciated skill.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
If going bow in and you have a turn out of the fairway, it will be hard to get the bow into the wind in a lot of modern boats with a fin keel and a lot on windage on the bow. If you have way on it will work but you'd better be able to stop.
Such a problem is when the knowledge of using spring lines can make your day. A spring line around a slip end cleat can aide in getting your stern and bow to behave as you try exit the slip. Yes practice with out wind or current is always a good idea. Understanding the mechanics of a spring line might save an embarrassing brush with a neighbors boat.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
knowledge of using spring lines can make your day
:plus::plus::plus:
I always grab the relevant spring line first. Wind pushing me in/wind pushing me out. Both springs are on the port side, so as the spring snugs up, the stern/bow will come to port to allow picking up the next spring.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
If the wind is coming from the slip I would back in. The wind will tend to hold the bow downwind and the boat will maintain maneuverability in reverse. If going bow in and you have a turn out of the fairway, it will be hard to get the bow into the wind in a lot of modern boats with a fin keel and a lot on windage on the bow. If you have way on it will work but you'd better be able to stop. Backing into wind is a way under appreciated skill.
:thumbsdown: