Can anyone tell me O'day Ynglings?

• Thread starter Justin - O'day Owner's Web
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Justin - O'day Owner's Web

Hey - There are several boats around here called Ynglings. Its Scandanavian for Youngster and is basically a scaled down Soling. All six of the ones I have seen locally have O'day badging on them but I have not found any information about O'day's Yngling. There is some information about other Ynglings on the web. It is apparently still an active one-design. These are great boats and very competitive PHRF racers in the right hands (namely any hands but mine). I would love to hear any info anyone has on them. Thanks. Justin - O'day Owner's Web

A

Alec Riggins

Yinglings

Justin, I copied the following from the Yngling Class homepage. I had an opportunity to sail a Yngling last year in Baltimore. It was wicked. Responsive like a dinghy without being as flighty as a J18 or similar. I loved it. If you ge a chance to sail one of the boats you found local to you, take it. Alec Begin Quote: The Yngling is an attractive, fast, and seaworthy small racing keelboat -- an agreeable cross between a planing dinghy and a keelboat. Its award-winning design is classic, and its construction is durable. The Yngling shares the Soling's sleek form, well-balanced rig, and responsive helm, yet sails happily with a 3-person crew weight of 450 - 500 lbs. (200 - 230 kg.). It performs in a zephyr, yet retains control in 25 knots. Under spinnaker it is a lively performer, happily surfing waves. Its self-bailing cockpit makes the Yngling unsinkably safe, perfect as a junior boat or a sailing-program boat. A new Yngling costs less than most similar-sized racing keelboats. Strict one-design rules curb expensive modification. Sturdy construction produces simple and inexpensive maintenance, and a durable hull: 30-year old boats are still competitive!

J

I will get to crew on one in a few weeks

Alec, Thanks for the information. I will get a chance to crew aboard one of the local boats this spring. I am looking forward to spanking some J-boats. Did the web site you visited happen to have information on when O'day was building these boats? Justin - O'day Owner's Web

D

Don Evans

great boat

A good friend owns one and sails on the same lake as I. He has just come back from a weeks training in Caracao (sp?), in the Carribean, sponsered by the class association. They spent a week last summer at the factory in Rhode Island in an intensive training. This is one powerfull little boat. He leaves me far behind especially under spinnaker. O'Day built them for a few years I believe in Florida. Don

J

Thanks Don

Don, Thanks for the comment. Would you be willing to ask your friend if he knows what years the O'day boats are? Justin - O'day Owner's Web

D

Don Evans

aaarrrggghhh

Justin I just blew away all that info the other night. I had it sitting in my archive for months . But of course I will ask again, but my recollection was that they were built under license to O'Day in the mid to late seventies. The interior design changed slightly and self bailers were added by the current manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.