Can anyone ID this pedestal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 25, 2006
Hunter 34 Bayou Chico - Pensacola
Can anyone help me ID this pedestal and find instructions on disassembly? It wasn't original to the boat I removed it from and there are no markings in the casting that I can find. The brake knob is seized so I need to get it apart for repair before I repaint and install. I'll make another post with a picture of the internals.

Attachments

Jun 25, 2006
Disassembly instructions?

On the Edson Web site I only found an exploded view of their current design. Does anyone know where I might find info on how this older unit comes apart? I'll contact Edson but if anyone knows a shortcut...

Jun 25, 2006
Edson says it's not an Edson

I emailed the photos to Edson and they said it wasn't one of theirs so I'm looking for suggestions for others I can contact.

Jun 25, 2006
Edson says it's not an Edson

I emailed the photos to Edson and they said it wasn't one of theirs so I'm looking for suggestions for others I can contact.

Ketoj

Jun 5, 2004
Hunter 34 Whitby Ontario Canada
My guess is a Merriman Yacht Specialties pedestal

This maker went bankrupt in 1990 but was around for many years. If this is the Merriman than there is an after-market brake system available for it, just search in the forum.

Ketoj

Jun 5, 2004
Hunter 34 Whitby Ontario Canada
My guess is a Merriman Yacht Specialties pedestal

This maker went bankrupt in 1990 but was around for many years. If this is the Merriman than there is an after-market brake system available for it, just search in the forum.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
It does not...

It does not look like my Merriman and the tapered shaft is throwing me for a loop as Merriman's were straight shaft.. What boat did this come off of??

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
It does not...

It does not look like my Merriman and the tapered shaft is throwing me for a loop as Merriman's were straight shaft.. What boat did this come off of??

Jun 25, 2006
Don't know but it probably wasn't original anyway

It came from a Katrina salvage boat. I don't know what brand of boat it was but the pedestal may not have been original anyway so the boat info may not help. I plan to be working on our boat this weekend so I'll take a look at the donor boat and add that info when I get back home. The pedestal we replaced was a merriman and it was different in that the entire pedestal was a single cast piece while this one is made up of separate base/column/top parts like an Edson. It's not obvious from the picture but the shaft appears to be captured by a chrome or stainless piece that's inserted from the ouside and secured with a large knurled nut on the inside. I got the knurled nut loose and tried to drive the piece out but it wouldn't come peacefully. My next attempt will involve using some arrangement of wedges or clamps to put some outward pressure on it while I heat the aluminum casting. I have to get the shaft out of the way so I can get to the locked-up threads on the brake. The throttle and shift levers are long (about 10-12") sweeping chromed bronze handles with wood knobs if that helps.

Jun 25, 2006
Don't know but it probably wasn't original anyway

It came from a Katrina salvage boat. I don't know what brand of boat it was but the pedestal may not have been original anyway so the boat info may not help. I plan to be working on our boat this weekend so I'll take a look at the donor boat and add that info when I get back home. The pedestal we replaced was a merriman and it was different in that the entire pedestal was a single cast piece while this one is made up of separate base/column/top parts like an Edson. It's not obvious from the picture but the shaft appears to be captured by a chrome or stainless piece that's inserted from the ouside and secured with a large knurled nut on the inside. I got the knurled nut loose and tried to drive the piece out but it wouldn't come peacefully. My next attempt will involve using some arrangement of wedges or clamps to put some outward pressure on it while I heat the aluminum casting. I have to get the shaft out of the way so I can get to the locked-up threads on the brake. The throttle and shift levers are long (about 10-12") sweeping chromed bronze handles with wood knobs if that helps.

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
Could possibly be Taiwanese Grand Deer .....

Grand Deer was 'kind of' famous for that high angled taper on the wheel shaft spindle. GD did a lot of Edson, etc. 'knock-offs', etc. .... most of their products were pretty inferior. They usually used Whitworth (Colonial) Imperial 'variant' machine-tool profiles, instead of SAE or metric, for much of their machining and fastners (nuts and bolts). GD pedestals were famous for 'locking up' (bearings and bushing seizing, etc.)

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
Could possibly be Taiwanese Grand Deer .....

Grand Deer was 'kind of' famous for that high angled taper on the wheel shaft spindle. GD did a lot of Edson, etc. 'knock-offs', etc. .... most of their products were pretty inferior. They usually used Whitworth (Colonial) Imperial 'variant' machine-tool profiles, instead of SAE or metric, for much of their machining and fastners (nuts and bolts). GD pedestals were famous for 'locking up' (bearings and bushing seizing, etc.)

Jun 25, 2006
Anybody have a diagram or maintenance info on GD pedestals?

Thanks. I'll do a Web search for these pedestals. In the mean time if anyone knows where I can find info on GD pedestals to verify the ID or get diagrams or maintenance instructions I'd appeciate it. I saw a suggestion on anothe rpost that hydrogen peroxide will dissolve the corrosion that oftens locks up threads and other fittings. I'll give that a try and if anyone else has a "formula" for success I'd love to hear it.

Jun 25, 2006
Anybody have a diagram or maintenance info on GD pedestals?

Thanks. I'll do a Web search for these pedestals. In the mean time if anyone knows where I can find info on GD pedestals to verify the ID or get diagrams or maintenance instructions I'd appeciate it. I saw a suggestion on anothe rpost that hydrogen peroxide will dissolve the corrosion that oftens locks up threads and other fittings. I'll give that a try and if anyone else has a "formula" for success I'd love to hear it.

Jun 25, 2006
Well THAT wasn't very productive.

I googled grand deer and all I got was a link back to this post and some info about hunting DEER in the GRAND canyon.

Jun 25, 2006
Well THAT wasn't very productive.

I googled grand deer and all I got was a link back to this post and some info about hunting DEER in the GRAND canyon.

Status
Not open for further replies.