Can anyone confirm something about a 93 Hunter 27-2?

Apr 4, 2019
Hunter 27-2 Kerr Lake, NC
Can anyone confirm that the 1993 Hunter 27-2 does, in fact, use glassed-in and threaded backing plates for the stanchions? I need to replace 2 on my boat, and am running smack into the fact that I have a one-piece fiberglass headliner which would make access to the backing plate a problem. But I have heard that some hunters don't use a nut under the plate, and instead you just screw the bolt directly into the threaded plate which is embedded in the glass under the deck. If that's true for my boat, it simplifies this a good deal, but I can't find any definitive information one way or the other on this particular boat.

Thanks!

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
That is definitely true on my H26. I have removed all of my stanchions and re-bed them with butyl tape and I have threaded backing plates.

@Crazy Dave Condon might know the answer for the 27-2. He knows a lot about Hunter boats.

If you don't hear from Dave you could always try unscrewing one bolt. If you are able to screw it back in, then you have a threaded backing plate. If you are not able to screw it back in then you will have to cut an access hole --- which you would eventually have to do anyway. So you really don't have anything to lose by testing.:beer:

Apr 4, 2019
Hunter 27-2 Kerr Lake, NC
It's good to think that at least I may not have to cut into the headliner yet. But yeah, either way I'm going to be trying to unscrew from above so I might as well try it.

Now to find the stanchion replacements. There don't appear to be any on the shop.hunterowners.com site for my model.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Call the SBO store. On five separate occasions they have been able to run down the parts for me that were not on their website.
  1. A spacer between the two deck sheeves for my halyards (they had this one made for me)
  2. A spreader bracket for my mast (see pics)
  3. A mast base foot
  4. A screen for my opening port
  5. The SS basket of my roller furler.
I have also had a very nice companion way cover made-to-order from these guys and it fit perfectly.... more importantly I no longer get water in my boat.:thumbup:

AND they didn't screw me on the price. These guys here are very helpful. They are my go-to first now. I usually end up talking with Joe and he (or whomever) will ask you a bunch of questions and make sure you get the right part. I have no vesting interest in SBO... just a happy consumer.

2018-06-23 13.44.34.jpg
2018-06-23 13.46.03.jpg
2018-06-23 14.21.13.jpg

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The lots are screwed into aluminum backing plates that are encapsulated into the deck fiberglass. They used 5200 sealant , so you may find it difficult to take out so take it slow. There is something that softens 5200 but will ask others to respond.
As for stanchion replacements, use the forum store as they are reasonable and have
the parts identified. The owner is a former Hunter employee and I am a retired Hunter dealer.
The attached is a petrified log over 200 million years old. Not suited for a mast
Crazy Dave

Attachments