Can a Catalina 22 Cruise at 10 Knots Under Power?

Aug 19, 2019
Wishful Thinking 1 Vancouver
Me and my girlfriend are looking at purchasing a boat next year to explore the rich ocean environment around Vancouver. We've only piloted small speedboats before, but are planning to get sailing lessons before then.

As far as the actual boat selection, I'm indifferent to whether it's a powerboat or a sailboat. What we want is a boat we can easily afford, that we can live aboard for a weekend, and one that can get from port to port fast enough that we can actually enjoy the destination. The way I figure it, a sailboat checks those boxes if it can sustain 10 knots under engine power.

Can the Catalina 22 do that? If not, are there other comparable boats that will? Thanks!

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
With about $100,000 worth of modifications it would, but then it would make more sense to purchase a motor boat that could do 30 for under $15,000.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I'm going to say … NO. Yes, you may be able to get up to 10kts with a big engine …. 50 hp or more.... but the boat was not designed to run that fast in any kind of seaway... and eventually every thing is going to shake loose, the rigging for instance. Not safe!!!! The larger engine will defeat your thrifty budget goals, and the excess weight will be a negative if you decide to slow down and sail. You didn't mention your budget, but you look like a candidate for the Macgregor 26x/26m with the 50hp option. Lots of those for sale. But for what folks are asking for them you could find an older, inexpensive Bayliner cabin cruiser....

If you would be happy powering along at 5kts...… or sailing that fast in normal conditions..... then lower your expectations and enjoy the Catalina 22 for what it was made for... the perfect "pocket" cruiser.

Aug 13, 2019
hunter 42 Seattle
The only sailboat I can think of, under ~65', that will do 10 kts under power is a Macgregor 26X. Not everyone is a fan of those boats, but they do exactly what you're looking for.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Look up displacement hull speed

6kts is about as fast as you can go in a cat 22

Aug 19, 2019
2/3 of the adventure in that geographic local is the "getting to" along with the being at.
Oh I know, but realistically if we can't get enough speed out of our boat, we'll just end up going to the same place over and over. We fully intend to take it slow enough to enjoy the ride.

Aug 19, 2019
Started looking into the Macgregor 26, and it does look good for what we want. The X's and M's however seem to be in the same price range as used cabin cruisers (20,000 CAD). We may end up going that high, but 10,000 would be that much better if we can find the right boat.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
something to be said for NO engine noise!
(+1 on hull speed, about 6-7kts in a C22, conventional sailboats displace, powerboats plane)

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
With a 50hp, our Telstar trimaran will motor that fast, but it will sail faster than that with a lot less motor. It also generally costs more than the Mac. I think you will find that all boats are a compromise of speed, comforts, and sailing character. It sounds like you are biasing toward a powerboat’s speed in order to give yourself the greatest range in a short time. Those Macs are expensive, but I cannot think of another boat that you can use as a powerboat and then go sailing. On the other hand, I think sailors turn the problem around and plan enough time to reach the destination at sail speeds.

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
You do realize that if you want to get from one destination to another fast a sailboat is not the answer.
However if you are not in a hurry and want to enjoy the scenery and enjoy the time on the water then a sailboat maybe for you.
As for your question, I don't know of any sailboat that will do 10+ underpower. I'll leave that to the experts on this forum.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
You do realize that if you want to get from one destination to another fast a sailboat is not the answer.
However if you are not in a hurry and want to enjoy the scenery and enjoy the time on the water then a sailboat maybe for you.
As for your question, I don't know of any sailboat that will do 10+ underpower. I'll leave that to the experts on this forum.
Agreed! A power boat owner uses his boat to get to where he wants to be and a sailor is where he wants to be when on his boat

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
YES ! there a numerous companies that transport sailboat on barge and ship. Most will do greater than 10 kts

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
All great points above.

I would add; Hunter Edge, Macgregor 26X, Macgregor 26M, Farrier or similar Trimaran (under sail with adequate breeze).

Have you considered trailering to the destination and launching as part of your decision? That would open up your choices.

At a $10k budget, you're probably looking for a 26X, or 26M pretty used up. You might get lucky and find one that someone is getting rid of, but you'll have to act quick. Even though they are a lightly built compromise boat, they have a pretty strong following.

I own a Mac 26M because it is an adequate power boat, an adequate sailboat, and is easily trailerable. I want to sail, the kids want to go fast, and the Admiral wants to be able to run from the weather. I paid asking price, and was lucky to be the first of three interested in it. Ad was only a few days old.

If I only wanted to get to destinations, I'd have bought a powerboat. Sailing is my destination. I usually motor out to get dagger board depth, raise the sails, find a broad reach, and spend the day letting the wind pick my course. Using the wind for propulsion to destinations, particularly when you're time restricted, may frustrate you and your girlfriend.

Hope you find something that suits you!

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
"Mutinous_Scallywag, post:
I'm indifferent to whether it's a powerboat or a sailboat.

Observing boat ownership this is a bit unusual - maybe special. The differences between the two boat types are profound. In the PacificNW and the ocean waters you want to explore they can be significant. The amenities on the boat that make up your on water experience. The smells and sounds that you intake. Even the convenience you have just moving about the boat. This takes some personal decision making. Walking on and moving about boats of all varieties.

What we want is a boat we can easily afford,

Afford ? Does this mean purchase? Or cover the monthly expenses of maintenance, moorage, fuel costs, etc.
The fuel costs alone north of the border has Canadians going south to fill their tanks.

that we can live aboard for a weekend,

Sounds frugal. So is this an alternate to buying a motel room or staying in a bed and breakfast where there are hot showers and comfy down quilts? Are you tent campers enjoy waking with bugs crawling about or would prefer the feeling of an Trailer keeping the wildlife outside.

and one that can get from port to port fast enough that we can actually enjoy the destination.

Actually enjjoy the destination? Has me a bit stumped. If destination is the goal then the BC ferries and a car are far qucker and overall less costly than boat ownership. They service all the main “ports”.

I am happy. Your exploring the idea of a water life. Sounds like much is still a fog and you have a lot to consider before empting your bank account on a flashy “10 knots under power” boat. Perhaps you and a couple of friends could try a charter out of Vancouver. There are both sail and power available. Maybe a club with a school would help you with your experience exploration. Would be a hell oh a lot cheaper.

Hope to see you on the water.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
And, there's an upside. In January, as @jssailem will likely concur, there's no need to rush anywhere. Assuming you can find the dock, it's probably free and clear.

Aug 19, 2019
"Mutinous_Scallywag, post:
I'm indifferent to whether it's a powerboat or a sailboat.

Observing boat ownership this is a bit unusual - maybe special. The differences between the two boat types are profound. In the PacificNW and the ocean waters you want to explore they can be significant. The amenities on the boat that make up your on water experience. The smells and sounds that you intake. Even the convenience you have just moving about the boat. This takes some personal decision making. Walking on and moving about boats of all varieties.

What we want is a boat we can easily afford,

Afford ? Does this mean purchase? Or cover the monthly expenses of maintenance, moorage, fuel costs, etc.
The fuel costs alone north of the border has Canadians going south to fill their tanks.

that we can live aboard for a weekend,

Sounds frugal. So is this an alternate to buying a motel room or staying in a bed and breakfast where there are hot showers and comfy down quilts? Are you tent campers enjoy waking with bugs crawling about or would prefer the feeling of an Trailer keeping the wildlife outside.

and one that can get from port to port fast enough that we can actually enjoy the destination.

Actually enjjoy the destination? Has me a bit stumped. If destination is the goal then the BC ferries and a car are far qucker and overall less costly than boat ownership. They service all the main “ports”.

I am happy. Your exploring the idea of a water life. Sounds like much is still a fog and you have a lot to consider before empting your bank account on a flashy “10 knots under power” boat. Perhaps you and a couple of friends could try a charter out of Vancouver. There are both sail and power available. Maybe a club with a school would help you with your experience exploration. Would be a hell oh a lot cheaper.

Hope to see you on the water.
Fair bit to address there, but as far as the destinations go it's like the difference between taking the bus and owning a convertible. Both will get me where I want to go, but one is a heck of a lot more fun than the other.

Me and my gf both enjoy the tranquility of being on the water, but we also want to properly explore new places as we desire. With a basic sailboat, it'd probably take us all day just to get from Vancouver to Nanaimo, so there's your entire weekend spent on sailing alone. I'm sure the trip would be nice the first couple of times out, but eventually we'd want for a new destination to keep things interesting. There's potentially a great deal we could see on the west coast, but we'd need to pick up the pace a little bit if we want to see it :)

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
You are talking 6 hours across the strait and even more important, you are subject to weather, and that’s just crossing. It doesn’t get you anywhere unless you’re planning on hanging around Nanaimo.
Far better plan to consider 4-5 days.