Can A/C be installed on a Beneteau 35s5?

Apr 19, 2017
Beneteau 35s5 Steele Creek Marina, Kerr Lake
In order to sell my 1991 Beneteau 35s5 I want to install the thru-hull for an A/C system and need to know a good model to recommend and need to locate the thru-hull in a workable location. I'd like to hear from anyone with experience doing this. Please contact me at srgelbert@gmail.com with info, or a phone number.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
You want just the thru hull model? Or an AC unit?

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
You are near Roanoke, VA? I don't know anyone up there, but a thru hull is pretty routine marine work.

Apr 19, 2017
I am interested in what model A/c unit can be successfully installed on a Beneteau 35s5 and where it must be located in order to position the thru-hull properly.

Apr 19, 2017
The sailboat is at Kerr Lake. I am interested in what kind of thru hull would be best.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
I don't know your boat. I looked at the layout. My GUESS is under a seater in the main cabin would be the location. Maybe a 12-16,000 BTU unit.

You have to deal with the raw water intake with an easily accessible large strainer. We have Groco bronze thru hulls for ou AC units. The placement of the pump for the AC units needs to have the path to the AC unit from the strainer is somewhat tricky. I can't advise you because I don't know your boat.

You have to deal with the condensate drain (NOT to bilge).

The discharge for the raw water should be above the water line. That's easy.

My advice: Call Annapolis Yacht Sales (the largest Beneteau dealer in the mid Atlantic). Ask them how it's been done. You could call MarineAire. (now Dometic) and ask them. The installers is going to be an issue for you. Do you intend to do this yourself?

If you want to import someone, aside from the equipment, it's probably 3-5 man days to get the work done.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2017
I don't know your boat. I looked at the layout. My GUESS is under a seater in the main cabin would be the location. Maybe a 12-16,000 BTU unit

You have to deal with the raw water intake with an easily accessible large Strainer. We gave Groco bronze thru hulls for ou AC units. The placement of the pump for the AC units needs to have the path to the AC unit from the strainer is somewhat tricky. I can't advise you because I don't know your boat.

You have to deal with the condensate drain (NOT to bilge).

The discharge for the raw water should be above the water line. That's easy.

My advice: Call Annapolis Yacht Sales (the largest Beneteau dealer in the mid Atlantic). Ask them how it's been done. You could call MarineAire. (now Dometic) and ask them. The installers is going to be an issue for you. Do you intend to do this yourself?

If you want to import someone, aside from the equipment, it's probably 3-5 man days to get the work done.
Thank you very much for your detailed response. I will definitely call Annapolis Yacht Sales and maybe MarineAire as well. There is also a Charleston, SC Beneteau techie who is likely to know something about it whenever he has time to talk. I won't be installing it myself but believe I should have knowledge about what is needed in order to sell the boat. While the boat is having the bottom redone I am thinking it would be worthwhile to install the thru-hull if I can get good info on how to install an A/C system and if it is a fairly inexpensive task to put in the thru-hull.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
I wouldn't think it an advantage install a blank thru hull prior to sale. I'd talk with a couple of brokers about that.

IF you believe the AC unit installed would "pay back" in the sales price differential, then do it. I'm not too sure that would be so.

If you want the AC for your use, that's a different story.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2017
Thank you for your comment. I have a friend who agrees with you. I will make more inquiries about the idea before proceeding.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
This is an expensive many-task install and will require a second 30 Amp service to the boat in addition to the unit, wiring, plumbing, controls, ducting and through-hulls (intake and discharge). Get an estimate from an ABYC-cert'd technician and use that in your sale negotiations. This is not a jack-leg boatyard monkey job.

Apr 19, 2017
Hi Gunni,

I am most appreciative that you have taken the time to write. I will not attempt to do anything myself regarding an A/C system at this point, as a result of your comment and the others received. All of the information will be useful in selling the boat, however. Thank you very much!

Best, Robin