Can a 31' Hunter ocean cruise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 24, 2011
Gemini 3000 JAX
Hi, my wife and I are thinking about sailing from the Chesapeake to Bermuda and then onto St Thomas in our 1984 Hunter 31'. We have done not done any upgrades to the rigging, however we do have new sails. As we have not done any blue water sailing in our Hunter, I would love to have feed back on whether or not our boat would handle that small slice of the Atlantic. cheers, Leigh

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
The Chesapeake to Bermuda is not "a small slice of the Atlantic". You would be better served to work your way down to Florida via the ICW and offshore with weather permitting. Then make the much shorter ocean crossing to the west end of Grand Bahama Island. Go over the top and down into the Abacos. That should give you enough ocean experience to know if you want to make any large hops.

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
In a perfect world of wonderful weather, waves and mechanics - sure go for it!!

In the real world, if your rigging is 1984 and your sails new, you are risking quite a bit...likely life of new rigging used by Hunter is in the 10-12 years range. So, unless you know it has been replaced recently, you will need to replace it in total. Some of us even carry synthetic line, with the strength of steel JIC. Even then mother nature can be a cruel teacher.

More worrysome would be the boat itself and you as passengers. Although the boat will stand quite a bit more than you, unless you have been in rough weather and seas.... A lot of the windows/hatches (especially as old as yours are) that hunter uses are not up to snuff for this type of sailing. Same with systems...you will need spares for everything.

You can't just stop and get off out there.

I would suggest that you seriously research off shore updates to the boat, needed safety gear and do some passages out 100 miles and back before you sign up for bermuda and beyond. That small slice of the Atlantic can be one of the worst on the planet (re: Perfect Storm for ideas) at times.

This time of year and through late september (until after hurricane season) are likely the worst possible months to leave, unless you are really up on weather and short handed sailing.

If you are bent on going, I would suggest ICW to Melbourne/Ft Lauderdale and waiting for a window to jump over...

Best of luck!

Jul 24, 2011
Gemini 3000 JAX
The Chesapeake to Bermuda is not "a small slice of the Atlantic". You would be better served to work your way down to Florida via the ICW and offshore with weather permitting. Then make the much shorter ocean crossing to the west end of Grand Bahama Island. Go over the top and down into the Abacos. That should give you enough ocean experience to know if you want to make any large hops.
Thanks a ton for your reply, Ed. I see both yourself and another responder have advised that we travel the ICW and then do some smaller passages through Bahamas and beyond. We will definately take your advice and please believe that I was in no way understimating the Atlantic. Cheers

Jul 24, 2011
Gemini 3000 JAX
In a perfect world of wonderful weather, waves and mechanics - sure go for it!!

In the real world, if your rigging is 1984 and your sails new, you are risking quite a bit...likely life of new rigging used by Hunter is in the 10-12 years range. So, unless you know it has been replaced recently, you will need to replace it in total. Some of us even carry synthetic line, with the strength of steel JIC. Even then mother nature can be a cruel teacher.

More worrysome would be the boat itself and you as passengers. Although the boat will stand quite a bit more than you, unless you have been in rough weather and seas.... A lot of the windows/hatches (especially as old as yours are) that hunter uses are not up to snuff for this type of sailing. Same with systems...you will need spares for everything.

You can't just stop and get off out there.

I would suggest that you seriously research off shore updates to the boat, needed safety gear and do some passages out 100 miles and back before you sign up for bermuda and beyond. That small slice of the Atlantic can be one of the worst on the planet (re: Perfect Storm for ideas) at times.

This time of year and through late september (until after hurricane season) are likely the worst possible months to leave, unless you are really up on weather and short handed sailing.

If you are bent on going, I would suggest ICW to Melbourne/Ft Lauderdale and waiting for a window to jump over...

Best of luck!
We do appreciate your advice and common sense has prevailed. Another responder has also suggested the ICW and this route we shall probably do. You bring up some really valid points about safety, spares, storms etc: and these I take seriously as it is our lives at risk here. Once again, thank you for taking the time to give us such an extensive reply and it has give us much food for thought. cheers, Leigh

May 24, 2004
Hunter 33.5 Portsmouth, RI
Keep in mind that from the mouth of the Chesapeake to Bermuda is over 600 NM and 5 to 7 days at sea in decent weather.

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
With proper preparation and rigging the boat should be able to well handle those trips. The question is 'are you capable of doing it?'
I'm not talking about rogue waves but certainly 20' seas and 60 knot winds are possible to encounter and once a storm begins there are no safe harbors to duck into when you become exhausted.
I would suggest a bit more ocean sailing experience before you bite into this adventure.

Jul 24, 2011
Gemini 3000 JAX
Thank you very much to all that replied to my seemingly naive question. This has certainly opened my eyes and I value all answers from the forum. We shall certainly start taking this adventure in much smaller bites. "good winds and enjoyable sailing to all"

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
I would recommend doing some offshore trips with someone else first, to get a feel for it. I am not very experienced in offshore, but have done a few trips, several 24 hr days, on a 43 ft Island Packet, from Newport RI to the Chesapeake. Very different than on the Bay. Personally, I would not want to transit the Gulf Stream on a 31. I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable without a lot of backup equipment, medical kit, EPIRB, life raft, electronics, radar, some kind of long range comms (sat phone, etc.), repair kit, ...

May 21, 2004
Hunter 31_83-87 Milwaukee South Shore Yacht Club
Hunter 31 ocean cruising

Back in the dark ages of 1966 to 1972, we crossed from Florida (Boca Raton) to the Bahamas quite a few times in a 25' wooden Bahama sloop with a one cylinder diesel engine.

I now own a 1987 Hunter 31. It is a much stronger boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.