Can a 2YM15 water pump work on a 2GM20F? All Yanmar.

genec

Dec 30, 2010
Pacific Seacraft Orion27 HP: San Diego, M: Anacortes
The water pump for the 2GM20F is set up in a way that makes changing the impeller a bit of a chore. The pump has to be taken off the mounting arm and at least one of the hoses has to be removed to access the backside of the pump, and the impeller.

The 2YM15 has a beautifully mounted front facing pump. Seems like both pumps should be about the same capacity, but the pulley arrangement is a bit different. Seems like I could put another pulley on the main pulley to move it out to meet the needs of this different pump... Of course I'd have to ensure that there is room in the front of the engine compartment. I'd also have to reroute the hoses a bit... but hey, hoses, right?

But just wondering if anyone has done anything like this or has any notion if it can be done.

genec

Dec 30, 2010
BTW, in case you are wondering... here is a video of servicing the 2GM20F... note that in this video it takes nearly 10 minutes to replace the impeller in this "easy access" engine.

Just having that pump turned around and facing forward would change all that to about 2 minutes, tops.

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
Remove pump and bracket together. Then service. Then put back and tension the belt. Just 2 bolts.

Last edited:

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
Ditto, what Charles said but I have enough hose to just twist the pump and keep the hoses on.

genec

Dec 30, 2010
Ditto, what Charles said but I have enough hose to just twist the pump and keep the hoses on.
I don't... sounds like I need more hose on the input side to make that work... I have not tried to just take off the bracket, as I thought it would not go back on with the belt under tension. Hmmmm have to try that.

But I still wonder if the waterpump from the 2YM15 would work. Look at that pump and location here...

Now compare that to the 2GM20F...

I'm not sure it would work either... likely take a custom bracket... and the extra depth of the waterpump mounted forward might be an issue. But damn, the accessibility would be great. Heck, I'd consider an access port in the wood cover of my engine now, to gain that sort of quick change ability for the impeller.

I will try the bracket idea though... and a longer hose on the input side.

genec

Dec 30, 2010
BTW, anyone happen to notice that getting two clamps on either side of that water pump would be rather difficult. I guess they figure such an engine isn't being used on a boat, below the waterline, at sea. :rolleyes:

Jan 30, 2012
One only hose clamp per hose at the pump. Two clamps at the seacock and both ends of the strainer if you have one.

As to access to the two clamps at the pump all the gm (belt driven) pump clamps are very accessible.

By the way - that motor in the photo is not an F. It is a direct seawater cooled model.

Last edited:

genec

Dec 30, 2010
I don't... sounds like I need more hose on the input side to make that work... I have not tried to just take off the bracket, as I thought it would not go back on with the belt under tension. Hmmmm have to try that.

But I still wonder if the waterpump from the 2Y15 would work.

genec

Dec 30, 2010
One only hose clamp per hose at the pump. Two clamps at the seacock and both ends of the strainer if you have one.

As to access to the two clamps at the pump all the gm (belt driven) pump clamps are very accessible.

By the way - that motor in the photo is not an F. It is a direct seawater cooled model.
You sure about that... it has the heat exchanger on the top, just like mine, and the same hoses and pump. The seawater goes into the heat exchanger, but the heat exchanger has water and anti-freeze in one loop that runs to the engine. But I will admit that mine doesn't have those black/green hoses along the side to the top and into that hole below the engine. That appears to be some coolant bypass of some sort.

Jan 30, 2012
Quite certain. The photo you posted at 4:22 today lacks a coolant circulation pump. The main belt drives the alternator only. Also the id tag says 2GM20 (no F). Maybe the photo is not your motor?

Are you in Anecortes now?

Charles

Last edited:

genec

Dec 30, 2010
Quite certain. The photo you posted at 4:22 today lacks a coolant circulation pump. The main belt drives the alternator only. Also the id tag says 2GM20 (no F). Maybe the photo is not your motor?

Charles
Ah ha. I do believe you are indeed correct... and no, that is not my engine... I stole the image from wiki.

And looking closely, you are right, it does not say 2GM20F... the F is missing. I thought you were referring to the video.

My nomenclature plate clearly has the 2GM20F with the F being quite obvious, and the layout of the heat exchanger and other plumbing quite similar to that shown in the video.

No, not at the boat at the moment... Been spending 4 days of each of the last several weeks up there... and needed to do some "family time."

Did manage to get quite a bit done though... stripped and varnished the bowsprit, and entire port cap rail, and most of the starboard cap rail, and the hatch boards and trim... installed a new VHF and managed to get the tillerpilot working. Also met quite a few of my dock mates.

Damn, time to do some sailing.

However, I did a visual and test inspection of the engine last Sunday, and found a very corroded clamp at the output side of the raw water pump... meaning two things... a)there is a leak, and b)there is a bad clamp... both of which need immediate attention. I'll replace the impeller and the o-ring too, but those are my spares, and as I feared... nobody has those parts locally. (at least not the two "Yanmar dealers" I contacted)

F dock, Friday late, Saturday all day.

genec

Dec 30, 2010

genec

Dec 30, 2010

Charles
Oh yeah... the second coolant pump... jeeze... I need more coffee. Oddly, I have a good picture of my engine in my "boat operating manual..." (notebook with all sorts of data, including original line drawings) But I have no idea where the original digital photo is... I'll have to take some more, better pics and then organize them in the proper folder on the computer. Sheesh.

Jan 30, 2012
Your dealers are Cap Sante Marine, North Island (at Skyline) and North Harbor Diesel. Maybe MSC but not certain.

genec

Dec 30, 2010
Just for grins, I thought I'd post my engine, so you can see that it is indeed a 2GM20F.
Look close, you can probably read the serial number. :biggrin:
20180806_140039.jpg

And just for grins... here is that baby with the bilge showing... yes, the bilge is damp... I just changed the impeller... and uh, it was a bit damp in those hoses.

engine and bilge.jpg

How odd... it got rotated... Well pretty sure it will still run. GRIN

genec

Dec 30, 2010
BTW I have full access to the engine compartment by lifting the floor of the cockpit. I can and do get right down in there with the engine. (getting out is another story... ;))