Camping / Crusing in a 16.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Erik

Camping on a daysailer

No. That's why I bought a Capri 18. Better accomodations for overnighting (and a full day of sailing) with easy trailering and storage.

D

Dana Smith

Additional information

Erik, thanks for the reply. The Capri 18 is a pretty boat but it doesn't fit my needs nor garage (homeowner's associations (blah)). On the 16.5 the bench seats go all the way to the transom. I believe I can put small lockers (access hatches with liners) toward the rear of the benches without effecting flotation too much. I was told by the dealer that the flotation was under the benches. These access areas would allow much quicker access to small needed items. The size I'm looking at is a 9x15 flush mount, one on each side. Regarding camping. The boat has wide enough benches to lay down on. What type of tent structure would generally be prefered? A conestoga (wagon train), or cabin (wall sided) tent. Are there additional types of tents for sleeping aboard? Final bit of additional info, I live in Florida, I sail coastal rivers and would like to sail the Keys. I know beach camping is an alternative and the Capri 16.5 has plenty of storage forward, albiet hard to get to. Any comments greatfully accepted. Erik, nice boat, enjoy your time sailing. Dana

D

Dana Smith

Additional information

Erik, thanks for the reply. The Capri 18 is a pretty boat but it doesn't fit my needs nor garage (homeowner's associations (blah)). On the 16.5 the bench seats go all the way to the transom. I believe I can put small lockers (access hatches with liners) toward the rear of the benches without effecting flotation too much. I was told by the dealer that the flotation was under the benches. These access areas would allow much quicker access to small needed items. The size I'm looking at is a 9x15 flush mount, one on each side. Regarding camping. The boat has wide enough benches to lay down on. What type of tent structure would generally be prefered? A conestoga (wagon train), or cabin (wall sided) tent. Are there additional types of tents for sleeping aboard? Final bit of additional info, I live in Florida, I sail coastal rivers and would like to sail the Keys. I know beach camping is an alternative and the Capri 16.5 has plenty of storage forward, albiet hard to get to. Any comments greatfully accepted. Erik, nice boat, enjoy your time sailing. Dana

T

tom

boat cover as boom tent

I have used the Capri full boat cover (offered as a facory option) as a boom tent. Use the main halyard as a topping lift to hold the boom up and throw the cover over it. Since it is Sunbrella fabric, it's waterproof. I am also putting removable plywood inserts between the benches to use my queen size air mattress. I have even camped on the boat while it's on the trailer

R

Ray Sacks

Survey of 16.5

Dear Dana I am planning to buy a 16.5 next spring. i would like to hear your evaluation of the boat. I have sailed many boats from day sailers to a 36' sabre. Thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.