camera mount - winter project

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Well thank you Hunter216. naaaaa . fabrication is just something I enjoy doing. I learned long ago that the quickest way to ruin a perfectly enjoyable hobby is to make it into a business :biggrin:. but anyone is certainly welcome to copy anything they like of mine :beer:

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Well thank you Hunter216. naaaaa . fabrication is just something I enjoy doing. I learned long ago that the quickest way to ruin a perfectly enjoyable hobby is to make it into a business however :biggrin:. but then again, anyone is certainly welcome to copy anything they like of mine :beer:
I absolutely agree with your position on the hobby vs commerce thinking, why ruin fun with $

I will take it that your open to some “crowd thinking” ;)

I grew up farming so have a something of a McQuiver mindset so my feedback would be you have quite a bit of weight on the end of the strut that might induce some bouncing as the boat moves through the water. Have you considered using lighter weight but structurally strong (non metallic) components for the strut arm and the camera clamp?

A really bright guy @BobbyFunn might be able to offer some out of the box thinking on this as well.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Surely. if someone comes up with something I like better than what I have I'm perfectly willing to steel their ideas also :laugh:

As to the bob weight on mine now. I have a very scientific method to determine these things. it goes something like:
(1)I have this thing in my scrap pile that should fit.
(2) I hold it in position and stand back a few feet.
(3) if it looks right I use it.
(4) there is nothing we can do that can't be done.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I think the gimbal is amazing, not suggesting changing that and the bob weight could be adjusted fairly easy +or- as needed once you try it out, maybe strap the whole rig on your truck and go for a little drive??

If there is bounce maybe a topping lift arrangement would fix that??

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
If there is bounce maybe a topping lift arrangement would fix that??
I've tested for camera bounce with it attached to the boat, and by having the mount in my shop vice. it's pretty good already, but one place that could benefit from some gusset stiffening is where it makes the 90* bend over the pulpit rail. I might do something there if I get ambitious :).
maybe I need to borrow a car I built a few years back as my test bed. 59 Chevy rest-mod with air ride suspension. could hit the pumps from side to side to induce "heel" wile driving down the road :laugh:

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I
I've tested for camera bounce with it attached to the boat, and by having the mount in my shop vice. it's pretty good already, but one place that could benefit from some gusset stiffening is where it makes the 90* bend over the pulpit rail. I might do something there if I get ambitious :).
maybe I need to borrow a car I built a few years back as my test bed. 59 Chevy rest-mod with air ride suspension. could hit the pumps from side to side to induce "heel" wile driving down the road :laugh:
That would make a fun video!