camera mount - winter project

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
For the past few years I've been just mounting a little point and shoot camera on the rear railing for sailing videos but the results are fairly ho-hum for the most part. so with some inspiration from a photo @Bill19233 posted in the photo contest thread:
01122019.jpg

I've also been working on a camera mount to extend off the stern a few feet for more inclusive photos.
I recently picked up a Drift Ghost XL action camera because it's waterproof, and can be controlled via a smartphone app, which makes it feasible to get the camera further away from the subject. I've also had a Hohem 3 axis gimble gathering dust for a few years, but it's battery life is only about 2 hours, compared to the Drift cameras 7-8 hours, plus the Drift camera shape really doesn't adapt to the Hohem gimble well anyway. So it boiled down to spending big dollars for a different gimble, finding a mechanical gimble that was suited to my needs, or just building my own. naturally I took door number three ;).
It's still very much a work in progress, but I now have the main (single axis) gimble and camera mount built:
IMG_0096.jpg IMG_0105.jpg

I designed in some friction washers under spring tension to dampen gimble motion, but just in case, I've also ordered a small (~4") shock absorber intended for 1:10 scale RC cars that should be easily adaptable if needed. As shown above, the camera is also manually adjustable in pan by about 110* total, to adjust for where the support arm is positioned. directly to the rear, or off to either side of the boat.
I've started off with the (3/4" emt) pole extending the camera out almost 5' beyond the rear rail, but I may have to shorten that some due to flex in the rear railing assembly, and the extension pole itself, causing some camera bounce. but I figured it would be easier to shorten it than lengthen. turns out that was good planning ;). I'd like to come up with a method to break the pole at least in two pieces for storage also, so that may happen at the same time it gets shortened. lots of winter time left to work out the details, but I'm happy with the progress so far.
IMG_0115.jpg IMG_0114.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Check out a friends YouTube channel here in Havasu that experiments with camera mounts. I'm still waiting on him to get a drone that will follows us along. He has a 360° camera, the one you can pan around with on the video etc.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
Let me know where you post the video and photos so I can check them out. I keep wanting to try a gimble on the strut camera again. Next, I'm going to try to change it to a swivel mount so I can swing it from looking over the port stern corner to the starboard while it's recording through a tack or jibe. I've got two of the old Drift Ghost HD's, one stealth, 3 Drift X's and just bought an XL because it's waterproof without a case, is there help somewhere for people like me?

And last couple races added the "boom cam", It gets some great angles. Until they start selling a cheap super smart "follow me" drone that won't end up in the bay, I'll just keep trying to get the right shot.

IMG_2020.jpg

VID00004 (3).MP4_snapshot_14.35_[2020.01.15_20.13.53].jpg

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Check out a friends YouTube channel here in Havasu that experiments with camera mounts. I'm still waiting on him to get a drone that will follows us along. He has a 360° camera, the one you can pan around with on the video etc.
There's some really interesting shots and transitions on this video. I'd love to know how some of them were accomplished. the boom camera is interesting, but the mast top shots really peeked my interest. I've often wondered about how to build a halyard system to raise a camera yet retain control like that.

Last edited:

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
And last couple races added the "boom cam", It gets some great angles. Until they start selling a cheap super smart "follow me" drone that won't end up in the bay, I'll just keep trying to get the right shot.
I have a fairly low hour Up-Air One drone you can have. you'll need to bring a diving bell to retrieve it from about 280' of water in lost creek lake however. yaaa.... that was a bad day :doh:. I think I'll stick to attached cameras for a wile now myself.:)

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
I have a fairly low hour Up-Air One drone you can have. you'll need to bring a diving bell to retrieve it from about 280' of water in lost creek lake however. yaaa.... that was a bad day :doh:. I think I'll stick to attached cameras for a wile now myself.:)
I’ve lost at least two cameras into the bay. We’re racing again today, hopefully, we’ll see how many cameras I manage to put out and remember to push record. All the photos on this thread are screen grabs from video using free software.
A5913651-73BD-4CB8-A936-F6FDE76CAB2E.jpeg

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
There's some really interesting shots and transitions on this video. I'd love to know how some of them were accomplished. the boom camera is interesting, but the mast top shots really peeked my interest. I've often wondered about how to build a halyard system to raise a camera yet retain control like that.
@RussC If you ask that question in the comments section of the video I'm sure he will give you a good explanation.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Have you considered the new GoPro MAX and/or Hero 8? From what I understand they have built in stabilization and horizon leveling. That might remove the need for a gimbal and reduce the complexity of mounting.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I looked at the Hero 8 but it's 3+ times the cost of the Drift + the Heros battery life is only 90 minutes (or less depending on mode) wile I'm getting ~8 hours with the Drift Ghost XL . The Go_Pro Max 360* feature is interesting, and I might have consider it as a second camera on a boat, but it also has very short battery life.

• Helpful
Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Yes battery management with gadgets is always a challenge. Of course you could spend even more $ and have spare batteries that you could accidentally drop overboard ;)

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
The drone stuff is interesting gear but I’ve had more than a few “unplanned” landings so share your reluctance to fly over water.

I’ve been pondering some type of towable mount. Drop it off the stern and sail. Would likely need a pretty good gimbal but the new cameras might reduce some of that requirement.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
The drone stuff is interesting gear but I’ve had more than a few “unplanned” landings so share your reluctance to fly over water.

I’ve been pondering some type of towable mount. Drop it off the stern and sail. Would likely need a pretty good gimbal but the new cameras might reduce some of that requirement.
Weeeeeelllllll. ya I've been down that road once. and only once :laugh:. in fact that's the project that I originally purchased my Hohem gimble for, along with a Hero 4, a rather large kite and associated reel etc. under just the right conditions it could be a viable alternative, but my word of caution, if you decide to try it yourself, would be to never let the kite hit the water if your single handed sailing. you wouldn't believe how much pull a large kite has as it's being towed through the water behind a sailboat :doh:. as your franticly hanging on to the kite reel with one hand wile flailing around in an attempt to get the boat into the wind without being blow over or otherwise killed or maimed and that heavy duty kite string is flying out of the reel towards it's terminus...... maybe I'll try it again some day when the memories fade. :laugh::laugh:

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
My thinking is a floating platform, dinghy etc that wouldn’t tip over (at least easily). If things got dicey you could cut the tow line and then come back for it like MOB drill. Maybe a tall tripod or a volunteer ;) to get a good angle and eliminate the tow line from the frame.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
As of 1-19-20 my mount has been upgraded to version 1.3.6 :biggrin:

IMG_0129.jpg

I installed the oil filled mini shocks for better gimble damping. also split the main boom ( & shortened by 14") and fabricated a quick connect. then made the bob weight detachable as well, for easier storage.
IMG_0137.jpg

The shortened lower portion of the boom can stay on the boat now and it also received a quick adjustment to lock it in position side to side with a single wing nut. the clamp slides along the pulpit to give 180* boom adjustment.
IMG_0144.jpg

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
As of 1-19-20 my mount has been upgraded to version 1.3.6 :biggrin:

View attachment 174215

I installed the oil filled mini shocks for better gimble damping. also split the main boom ( & shortened by 14") and fabricated a quick connect. then made the bob weight detachable as well, for easier storage.
View attachment 174213

The shortened lower portion of the boom can stay on the boat now and it also received a quick adjustment to lock it in position side to side with a single wing nut. the clamp slides along the pulpit to give 180* boom adjustment.
View attachment 174214
Wow this is quite an evolution!

Are you thinking you might want to go commercial with this or continue down the “open source” path?

Your obviously a talented fabricator and I’m not trying to stir the pot with my comment above.

There are lots of sailors @TomY for example
on this forum that have a passion for photography so your winter project could benefit from their on board experience.