Camden Maine!

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
We first sailed into Camden over 20 years ago. I still recall a VHF transmission from a cheeky schooner captain entering the inner harbor. It went,"....and now passing the docks of million dollar Wayfarer."

Ha! The cost of everything has gone up, even sarcasm. Today, this 70' Hinckley could top the mil mark, and it's 30 years old.
DEFIANT Hinckley 70_.jpg

Camden is only a mile down the road from our lesser known Rockport. We don't get into the big town often in 'season'. For every 10 cars that stop in Camden, only 1 savvy traveler might peel off for Rockport.

But the high life in Camden was a nice jolt for a family outing over the Fourth.

Next time you're in Camden, sit at the Rhumbline (at the billion dollar Wayfarer docks), for dinner and watch it all go by. Their fish tacos are legendary.

P MJ Rhumbline.jpg

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Great photos as always, Tom. The Hinckley has an “interesting” dinghy carrying setup. That dinghy and motor must weigh north of 500 pounds. Any side views of that?

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
We first sailed into Camden over 20 years ago. I still recall a VHF transmission from a cheeky schooner captain entering the inner harbor. It went,"....and now passing the docks of million dollar Wayfarer."

Ha! The cost of everything has gone up, even sarcasm. Today, this 70' Hinckley could top the mil mark, and it's 30 years old.
View attachment 166853
Camden is only a mile down the road from our lesser known Rockport. We don't get into the big town often in 'season'. For every 10 cars that stop in Camden, only 1 savvy traveler might peel off for Rockport.

But the high life in Camden was a nice jolt for a family outing over the Fourth.

Next time you're in Camden, sit at the Rhumbline (at the billion dollar Wayfarer docks), for dinner and watch it all go by. Their fish tacos are legendary.

View attachment 166854
Hi Tom:
Great panorama as usual. Your pics brought back great memories of Camden for us. Before we moved to Surry we cruised Maine in our yawl Silverheels on 8 summers. Then we would leave Silverheels at Wayfarer for a couple of weeks, rented a car in Rockport, and drove back to RI for a couple weeks. Wayfarer would watch Silverheels for us and they would leave a note on the chart table when they boarded. When I returned with my delivery crew we would call them a week ahead and when we arrived Silverheels would be fueled, watered, iced, and tied up alongside. What service! A month or so later a bill would show up, which was always very reasonable, and which we paid immediately. I used to refer to Wayfarer as "..old time yachting...". With our new boat Maxine we used them twice in the same way with the same results. Great yard. And we have had some memorable dinners at the Waterfront and lunches at the Camden Yacht Club.
Thanks Tom

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Great photos as always, Tom. The Hinckley has an “interesting” dinghy carrying setup. That dinghy and motor must weigh north of 500 pounds. Any side views of that?
I didn't get forward to see. I asked someone that might know; he thinks there is a special purpose (and removable) SS rack that fits into deck inserts. The inflatables rack is forward where it is easy to raise and stow. It's raised so the hatch over the crew quarters (quite plush no doubt), can be raised for ventilation. Makes sense.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I love Camden! Very cool place. We did a Windjammer out of there a few years back on the Mary Day. We have made other visits by car.