Cam Cleats how do you use them?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
A recent thread on SBO talked about the use of Cam Cleats for handling Jib Sheets.

It got me wondering about their suitability on various boats.

I have used them as a tool on a number of small boats. I found them extremely useful to hold my jib sheets, even the mainsail sheet. But when are they best used. On small boats or large boats?

An online exploration brought up many of the familiar names; Harken, Ronstan, Spinlock, Schaefer Marine etc. producing cam cleats. Several manufactures talk about their Micro CamCleats. One limiting factor was the line size. The largest one I found was from Harken. It was labeled an "OffShore" cam cleat with a line size of 5/8". This unit sported a 500lb working load.

Is the size of your boat a limiting factor on the use of Cam Cleats? I suspect not. More likely it is the task for which you intend to apply the cam cleat. Certainly light work is an easy fit. What are working loads to you have Cam Cleats employed?

They are extremely useful tool for the racing boat, as they are simple solution permitting easy secure and release function of running rigging. This task is in continuous flow, adjusting trim, keeping the boat moving fast.

As a cruisers is the cam cleat a useful tool or does it pose a risk? Certainly some jobs require a secure hold of the line. A cam cleat breaking - releasing a line of rigging could be disastrous when sailing on a dark night.

What say you about a cam cleat as a tool aboard your boat?

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
We only have two ( that I can think of ) on the main sheet traveller. I’ve thought of putting a couple more on the jib sheet cars but what’s there now works OK. A case of not fixing what isn’t broke!

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
You just reminded me I have to replace two at the gooseneck for main reefing. Springs are no longer springing...Thanks John

Cole07

Sep 23, 2018
Oday Daysailer East Moriches, NY
On my 17 foot O’day daysailer, the cam cleats are used to secure the jib and main sheets. They are pretty old and could potentially be replaced but they work very well for what I need them for. I don’t have furling, but if I did I would most likely use a cam cleat to secure the furling line. On a smaller boat cam cleats can pretty much be used for any operation (other than the halyards), including the outhaul, centerboard line, topping lift, and the Cunningham. The only down side I can think of is wear over time on the springs and teeth that could potentially lead to unwanted slippage, otherwise they are great to have on a smaller boat.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I have them on the main sheet ( built into the multi- block, 6:1), traveler control lines(3:1) and the spin pole downhaul control (2:1). Kinda “racy” but convenient.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
On our recent charter in the PNW, a Tartan 3400, in addition to the mainsheet traveler, a cam cleat was rigged to stop-off/control the headsail furling line. It worked OK, but for a working jib on a self-tacking set-up. Also, as introduced here some years earlier, a Harken cam cleat is used in a halyard parking bracket, as it is sometimes called. I installed one of those on the Bavaria just a couple of weeks ago. Haven’t even used it yet. I’ll report later.:dancing:

Last edited:

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
On my boat I only have cam cleats on the traveler sheets. The Viking 28 I've started racing on has cam cleats on the jib sheets. They work ok but I'm still working on getting the sheets into them while grinding, not as convenient as self tailers.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Obviously it depends on the size of the boat:
  • Sheets. Yes, if tackle or the tail of a winch. No if before winch (jammer).
  • Halyards. No. Jammer or horn cleat. Even if there is a edicated winch (my last boat had mast winches) the risk of release outweighs convenience.
  • Bobstay tackle and rig tension. No (jammers).
  • Travelers. Same as sheets.
  • Barber hauler and twings. Same as sheets.
  • Down hauls and outhauls. Same as sheets. I'm more likely to adjust the outhaul than the downhaul.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
... I'm still working on getting the sheets into them while grinding, not as convenient as self tailers.
You need to keep grinding an inch while placing the line in the cam cleat. It will glide right in. If you try to slide the line in when the line is not moving in it will be suborn. Big difference. Like parking a car before power steering (if you are that old).

I have selftailers, but I use the cam cleats...
  • In very light wind (no grinding, only one turn on the winch).
  • Strong winds (faster release).
  • Just before tacking. I take the rope out of the tailer, remove one turn only, and put the line in the cam cleat. This makes for faster tacking. I also do not use the tailer through most of the tack (hand haul with a single turn first, then add turns and grind (if your timing was good you should not have to grind much at all), and then selftailer for fine tuning. Again, because this sequence is faster.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Its the best solution for the track cars, traveler and EZGlide, although the loads on the traveler can possibly be getting up there.