Calling all Yanmar Gurus...

Jan 9, 2013
Hunter 27 Mooresville, NC
I could use some input!

I have an older Yanmar 1GM10 on an '83 H 27. Starts and runs fine, but under load (3) things happen, that are probably not related:

1: The throttle backs itself off to about 1/3 throttle. Mildly annoying, and not a big deal...but I'm not sure how to fix it.

2: The engine smokes heavily while in gear at WOT. backing off the throttle, there's a point just below WOT where the smoke dissipates and you actually gain RPM's ( sidenote: Tach doesn't work...so I can't give you RPM ranges)
It doesn't smoke at all throughout the RPM range in neutral. Removing the air filter and housing doesn't affect this at any point. That was this morning with just me on the boat. With 400-500lbs more passenger weight, that sweet spot doesn't seem to exist until below 3/4 throttle. Because of issue #1, you have to actively hold the throttle in that sweet spot.
FYI: The engine was re-aligned, stuffing box repacked, and the cutlass bearing replaced last year - professionally done by a mechanic who's the acknowledged marine diesel "expert" here on LKN. I've also checked the ruder, prop, and shaft for anything binding it up or creating excess load, with no results. The boat tops out under power at about 4.5 knots, on a calm day.
Could it be running rich? I'm also tempted to replace the fuel filter just because I don't know when it was done last- and hasn't been in 2 years that I know of.

3: The boat turns hard to port above 3/4 throttle, you're fighting the wheel pretty hard. Doesn't seem to be any play in the steering...

I could use some advice, and the the steps to take to fix it! I'm tempted to call the above mentioned expert, and I'm on his list, but it's going to cost me $100/hr for to just to look at it and quote the repairs, and he's booked solid for the next month.

Thanks!
:confused:

Mar 6, 2012
Hunter H33 (limited edition cabin top) Bayou Chico
the turning thing is odd, have you looked at the prop to see what kind of condition its in? idk that these arent all related, the smoking could be over-fuelling or over loading, im not sure but the 4.5 kts is a little low and the turning part is just bizarre.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
as far as the throttle drifting back there is a cable clamp for that problem sbo and defender have them

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
Do you know the make, od and pitch of your prop?. I'm curious too about 4.5 top end and pulling to port hard.

Jan 9, 2013
Thanks for the info so far.
I don't have any info on the prop, other than "old" , but in decent shape,per above mentioned mechanic. I'm curious if it's possible for the prop to somehow be out of alignment itself? The wake looks clean, but maybe prop wash hitting the rudder at an angle would create that turning issue, as well as the load? I dunno..I'm shooting in the dark.. Not sure how they're attached to the shaft, nor what it takes to replace them.
I'm looking at about $400.00 just to pull the thing out of the water, though...

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
1. As others have noted look for a clamping device on the engine end of throttle cable to adjust tension. Edson pedestals use a bolt to adjust the tension on the axle of the throttle lever. It is located beneath the compass.
2. I'd check the exhaust elbow for clogging if you don't know it's current condition to be good.
3. Sorry, I got nothing' but a lot of "could be's" on that.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
Did you have this boat before all the work the mechanic done? If so, were these problems occuring previously? It seems like all the issues are when in gear with the shaft spinning. Do you feel any vibration that my not be normal? Seems to me the alignment is out of wack. When under sail does the rudder turn freely?

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Gloucester, VA
#1 sounds like cable clamp
#2 sounds like a loading problem, badly fouled bottom/prop (any vibrations) or clogged mixing elbow. might have a diver check the prop for fouling. cheaper than a haul out.
#3 couldn't speculate

Jan 9, 2013
All; Thanks for the clamp heads up. Dumb question: Am I looking for something "beyond" the standard throttle cable tension screws found on most older engines, or some kind of clamp to hold the cable sleeve itself? The throttle cable itself seems to have plenty of play in it ( not very tight), but there also doesn't seem to be anything, other than the lever at the other end, securing the cable sleeve...:0

RE the mechanic: I had all the work done just after I bought her. I certainly don't remember it smoking like that under load,and I also "imagine maybe" I picked up some vibration. The challenge is that 4 people ( including two marine mechanics who don't work on diesels) have told me to go to a certain mechanic to look it over if I think something is wrong...and he's the guy who "maybe" would've done it wrong to begin with. I did ask said mechanic about it when he first did the repair, and he, as well as the yard manager, told me I was imagining things.
SO I'm sort of stuck with : try to figure it out myself ( or at least eliminate what I can), or pay the gentleman (who may have actually caused the problems) more money to look the boat over. He seems to be the only game in town.

Sep 3, 2012
79 Hunter 30 Carlyle lake Il.
I have been searching the internet for any info I could find on yanmar marine diesels and have about 6 pages in a word doc of cut-n-paste info on history, I.D., parts, mechanical drawings, original manuals, tips/tricks, pearls. Etc... Give me an email and I can send it to you
I was researching for my own knowledge.

CW

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I am no guru, but I will confirm others words.
A diesel "throttle" actually sets an RPM target for the engine.. The governor then adds fuel to try to get to that RPM.. What you are describing is a classic diesel overload. The engine is making enough horsepower and burning all the diesel until it hits a limit where there is not enough air to burn the fuel that is being injected. The overload can be a bunch of things like too much propeller pitch or a fouled prop and/or hull bottom. It can also be caused by restrictions on the intake air side or the exhaust side. You checked intake so ya need to pull the exhaust elbow and make sure it is open ..I am assuming that the mechanic work did not involve pulling the diesel injection pump?? . If the injection pump was removed, there could be a timing issue ..
Throttle: If you remove the compass and compass holder on top of the pedestal, look at the casting that holds the throttle and the shift levers. On top of that casting you will see a little recessed screw just above the throttle shaft. That set screw can be tightened carefully to hold the throttle setting but still allow the shaft to move. You probably have a Merriman Yacht Specialties pedestal. There is a diagram of it in the downloads section.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Had an h27 with similar maladies.
1) The sliding throttle lever. I had a piece of cardboard covered with tape that would attach to the pedestal with Velcro and a string which could be wedged against the lever to hold it in place.
2) The smoking at WOT is likely overfueling and could be due to a fouled prop/hull. This could also be related to the boat turning under power.
3) The boat turn; been there but the diagnosis of the actual cause was not clear cut. First make sure the condition does not manifest itself under sail and only under power. At the time I was experiencing a loss of power and the mentioned steering pull to port. I first called my diver and asked him if he had cleaned the prop on his last visit a couple of days earlier and he assured me that he had. I gave the engine a tune up by adjusting the valves gap, replacing the filters and removing and cleaning the exhaust mixing elbow. Next time I went out the engine had regained power and the steering pull was gone. Your boat should be making at least 5.5 knots under power under calm conditions. Check the hull and prop for marine growth and clean before doing anything to the engine. A clogged mixing elbow would be my guess if after cleaning the hull and prop the condition persists.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
You don't mention what color smoke. Since you are the proud new owner of a Yanmar 1GM10, get a SELOC catalogue for your engine. It will be invaluable. Prepare yourself by doing a lot of reading and study the parts. It will be too expensive to rely upon the mechanic and you will never be satisfied that you are getting the proper service if you don't gain the knowledge for yourself. I went thru the same learning curve when we bought our 27' boat with 1GM inboard.

For starters, the boat may be slightly underpowered. That said, 4.5 knots is unacceptable. Our 1GM achieved 6 knots (5,700 pound boat) in lake waves. It is very likely that your bottom condition is badly fouled with marine growth. I found that just a healthy coat of algae slime reduced speed by more than 1/2 knot and significantly increased the BLACK smoke at WOT. I'm in fresh water so have never experienced the nasties that you may have growing on the bottom. My prop was over-pitched (sellers explained that is was compensation for being slightly underpowered and needing the power running against the tide on Shrewsbury River). I don't know if the argument holds water, but the max rpms achieved was too low and inevitably caused other problems.

BTW, you need to fix your tac or obtain one that works. You are totally in the dark without a functioning tac. You need to learn the distinction between black smoke, white smoke and gray smoke and the distinct causes.

Your throttle cable is a minor nuisance and should be easily remedied. I set my throttle with a bungy, which seemed to assist the cable screw since it never quite held even when tighted.

Look at the orientation of the shaft as it exits the hull. Don't laugh ... mine is offset, possibly so the shaft can be removed without removing the rudder. I also thought that it negated prop pull to one side in reverse. I've always had a strong pull to one side as the rpms increase while running along in forward.

You should not delay in learning about your engine. From the sound of it, you have already observed some alarming problems. I went thru the experience of watching my 1GM display alarming symptoms and ended up replacing it with a new 2-cylinder Yanmar for a total cost of close to $10 K. I wanted the re-power for various reasons, but it isn't how most people would choose to spend money on an aging, small boat. If you don't learn to take care of that engine by yourself, you can find yourself forced to make some uncomfortable decisions.

Jan 9, 2013
Thanks, all!
I'm going to pull the mixing elbow today, as well as replace the fuel pump and ( since I'll be in there anyway) go ahead and replace the impeller just so I have a "hard date" on when it was done.
As mentioned ( I think) in my OP, the hull and prop are clean, and without obstruction that I can find. I'm in a freshwater, inland lake...but a warm one, so algea growth can happen quickly. I've developed a highly scientific way of cleaning the hull in the water..( It involves a deck brush on a 5 foot HD extension pole, with a 3lb ankle weight duct tape to it...very fancy ..:) )

What I didn't mention is that it's heavy black smoke... al la overworked motor...

Thanks!

Mar 9, 2011
Hunter 280 St Petersburg
The smoke is injectors. Change that and you should be good to go. The throttle issue you just need a cable brake. Sailboatowners.com sells these. The turning is most likely a bent wing on your keel. You will need to haul out and have a yard bend it back for you. Any other issues feel free to ask.

Mar 9, 2011
Hunter 280 St Petersburg
If it was the elbow you would have a loss of power as well. But seems like maintenance has been neglected on your motor. So change the elbow and the injector put a cable brake on your cable and you should be good to go mechanically.

Jan 9, 2013
follow up:
Went down to the boat yesterday to start some of these projects.
I wasn't able to cha e the impeller (yet), since the two spares I bought a year ago seem to have gone on walkabout.
The fuel filter wasn't the factory filter ( I have 2 factory fuel filter elements , pm me if you're interested in them very cheap) , but an older bronze Perko with no screen, and what looked to be a hard "cork" element. Filter was about 1/3 full of black nastiness. The fuel line running into the filter had clean fuel coming from the tank. I've ordered a quality fuel filter/ water separator to replace the whole unit.
I do know that when I bought her, one of the first things I did was change the oil, and she was overfilled by the po at some time.
Based on the filter condition, I'm actually very impressed that I was getting good starts,and any kind of performance at all!

Would you replace the elbow, or just pull it and clean it? Same question about the injector. Should I pull it if I'm getting consistent fuel and only having problems at wot?

Finally, tfay, thanks for the thoughts on the turning! But I don't have a wing keel...:)

MDS

Jun 14, 2014
Cal 27 mkIII Portsmouth, RI
Definitely pull the exhaust elbow and check for internal corrosion and pinholes. If you know that it's the original, I would replace it regardless of condition. With the elbow off, you need to look inside the exhaust port on the cylinder head. Yanmar 1GM's have a tendency for the port to clog up with very hard carbon if the engine is not run consistently at high RPM's. Mack Boring, the Northeast distributor for Yanmar's, told me that the engine should be "run hard".

If the elbow is leaking, the salt and carbon can form a rock-like solid that needs to be removed very carefully. There can be damage to the cylinder head underneath these deposits. I ended up replacing both the head and the exhaust elbow. If you find that the port is clogged, I would seriously consider removing the head. The exhaust valve could be burnt.

Good luck!

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Go for a swim

Even sitting on the mooring you can pick something up. I once found a lure and some line on board. Perhaps your prop has fouled...or you rudder has broken and is spinning on the shaft...mixing elbow is always a possibility if the engine wont rev up. Does it happen both in neutral and in gear?

Jan 9, 2013
Bob, it doesn't smoke at all in neutral throughout the rpm range, but I checked out the prop as well as I could by anchoring in about 5 feet and looking with goggles....didn't see any obvious issues.
I'm comfortable with the things I'm doing ( fuel filter, exhaust elbow, impeller) only because they need to be done anyway...but they may not solve the problems..