Calling all Reliance 44 Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Member 41673

Hello all Reliance 44 owners. Please post your hellos & what-evers on this thread. If you know of any other Reliance owners, please pass this site along to them. The more traffic the better!

Thanks

Rick Goltz
Voyager
Reliance 44 #3

Nov 24, 2008
Wanderlust V Reliance 44 Vancouver
Rick,
we are in the process of buying hull #26, Wanderlust V, here in Vancouver, BC,
Canada. After much involvement with Ericson Yachts and the excellent site they have, I have been looking for similar resources for the Reliance 44's. I am happy to help in any way possible to move this forward.

cheers,

Mike Gritten

Feb 16, 2007
- - -
Rick, great job again! You have a fine commodore keeping all of us together and a constant reminder of how lucky we are to have acquired one of these boats.
I have many questions and discussions in that I have been working way too much and the Southern Belle has patiently been waiting to go to sea.
Just a few items to think over:
Did you install a new mast? I see two spreaders?
Are you using a longer boom than originally used with the ketch rig.
Do you ever fly a spinker?
I also have Issues!!:
Fuel tank no longer usable and I do not want to demolish the boat to get to the old tank. I am not but so young I have to get to sailing.
Blisters on the hull; about 30 of them. They haven't been a problem and I haven't addressed them yet.
The chain plates for the shorterl "jumper" shrouds are rusting too quickly; I only have one zinc and that is on the shaft behind the propeller.
Do you have an emergency sterage set up; such as a tiller or the like?
Many other questions!!
Keep in touch.
Photos to be posted during Christmas.
Gill
Southern Belle#8

M

Member 41673

Hi Mike -

I've heard of Wanderlust... Who was the previous owner? Please send me your e-mail address. I keep a group listing of all known (to me) Reliance owners & I send the occasional broadcast of interest. Don't worry, I won't do anything else with the address.

Bye

Rick

M

Member 41673

Hi Gill -

Some answers to your questions -

I didn't install the mast. Voyager came to me rigged as-is. The previous owner was a world-class scrounge & the spars are obviously taken from a previous boat - they're crap, but they work. 2 spreaders - made of aluminum pipe with hand-made wooden spreader tips. The boom is the same one that was on Voyager when it was a ketch. I couldn't go longer if I wanted to because I utilize the same backstays (in the "ketch" position).

I fly an asymetrical spinnaker. No trick there.

What do you mean the fuel tank is no longer usable? What could possibly go wrong with an integral fiberglass tank?? I love mine. No leaks, the weight is all down low & there is nothing to remove or repair. I have another custom-fitted tank that drops-in right below the aft cabin floor. It may not be "standard". I have shifted which tanks I use for which purpose. What was previously a fuel tank is now a water tank & what was previously a holding tank is now a fuel tank. I figure I need diesel worse than I need poop. I will, of course, have to reverse this when I bring Voyager back to the states.

Don't worry about the blisters - they're easy to fix. Grind 'em out, glass 'em, fill 'em, paint 'em... All fixed! I repair some every time I haul out.

My chain plates are stainless steel bar stock. My problem is the internal structure that the chainplates bolt to (this may be what you are talking about). I simply chip & ospho as best I can & keep the chainplates well sealed against water leakage.

I drilled & tapped & installed a couple of additional tear-drop zincs onto the rudder shoe (lower rudder hinge).

I do have an emergency tiller. The top of the rudder post is accessed thru an inspection plate in the cockpit floor. The tiller is simply a pipe that is slotted to fit the top of the rudder post & the handle is an old ax handle (previous owner again).

If you need pics of any of these things, let me know.

Bye

Rick

Nov 24, 2008
Rick,
Wanderlust V was (and currently IS) owned by Glenora Doherty. Sadly, Glenora's husband and partner, Peter, passed away a few years ago after bypass surgery stranding the boat in Mexico (it was featured in a Cruising World article "6 months hard time" back in the Sept & Oct 2005 issues. Anyway, Glenora brought the boat back to Vancouver and kept up the maintenance for a few years while her grown children enjoyed the boat, but recently changed her mind and has agreed to sell her to us. She is a ketch rig and the big knock against her right now is the badly rusted chainplate anchors that are glassed into the hull. Anyone else have this issue?
I'm glad to join the group and will keep you up to date with the progress of our purchase.

cheers,

Mike

Mike Gritten

Attachments

M

Member 41673

Hi Mike -

Yep, I think we all have rusty chainplate mounts. Maybe I'll try to get Pierre to make some input on this thread on the subject. Anyway... All I do is chip & ospho every time I find too much rust.

Bye

Voyager

Nov 24, 2008
Rick,

I am not familiar with "ospho". Is this a short-form name for some rust inhibiting product or coating?

(Never mind! Google is a wonderful thing......!)

cheers,

Mike

N

neonatal

Rust and osmoses

Hi everyone,

The rusting chainplates have been a bit of a worry of mine aswell. I comfort myself with the knowledge that it takes only a millimeter of iron to make a centimeter of rust.

I have taken the chips off and sprayed Tectyl on the visible parts.

The last year I also did a big blister removal job. The whole of the bottom is covered in small blisters approximately 7 to 12 mm big. My Reliance has had an osmoses treatment the past.

Again, it is great to hear from eveyone.

Cheers,

--Axel

M

Member 41673

Hi Axel - Wow! Galatea is a beautiful boat. The interior layout is completely different than Voyager, which, I believe, is close to the original interior design layout. Maybe I'll try to post some pics of Voyagers interior soon.

Is your engine located completely below your floorboards? My 82 h.p. Perkins is too big for that & it sits in the "island" that is the galley sink.

Bye

Rick

Dec 1, 2008
Reliance 44 - Lelystad Haven, The Netherlands
Is your engine located completely below your floorboards? My 82 h.p. Perkins is too big for that & it sits in the "island" that is the galley sink.
Yes it is. The engine compartment is just below the floor as you enter the cabin. I have a Perkins 4108 that just fits in there (and is in need of some TLC: why does the waterpump axl always break and the pieces end up in the timing gears and raise havoc there?). The floor is raised about 20 centimeters there and that just gives it enough room.
When you enter the cabin, to the right are the chart table and the u-shaped sink. To the left is a two-berth cabin. After the seating area, on the left is the head.
By the way: a great tip I read in this forum before but is now missing: to lift out the engine, put a beam through the windows to raise the engine.
I really hope this forum wil start up again.
Cheers,
--Axel

mm08

Dec 21, 2008
Reliance 44 - -
Hello all,

I may be the owner of the last unfinished R44 in the world. My boat was purchased and then never finished. The first owner sold it to me in 1999 and I have worked on it on and off ever since. My hull number is #22.

I very much would like to find the owner of a cutter-rigged boat as I have only limited information on the rig. I too hope there might be some activity on this forum so as to foresee as many problem areas as possible.

Neil Dunder

M

Member 41673

Hi Neil

Hi Neil -

Long time no hear from... I have seen some R44 rig dimensions on the internet. Try a google search on reliance 44 rig dimensions. A quick one gave me this http://www.mauriprosailing.com/techinfo/boatspecs/Rig R.htm

I've been in touch with Pierre recently, so I know he reads his e-mails. You could try him. I know he still has all his drawings & can make copies for you. There is a rigging drawing - I have one. I'll send you his address in a separate e-mail.

Bye

Rick

Hello all,

I may be the owner of the last unfinished R44 in the world. My boat was purchased and then never finished. The first owner sold it to me in 1999 and I have worked on it on and off ever since. My hull number is #22.

I very much would like to find the owner of a cutter-rigged boat as I have only limited information on the rig. I too hope there might be some activity on this forum so as to foresee as many problem areas as possible.

Neil Dunder

Dec 1, 2008
Neil,

I might have the rig setup you have in mind. My R44 is single masted and I usually sail her with double jibs although I have a Genoa aswell. If I can be of any help, please let met know.

--Axel

mm08

Dec 21, 2008
Reliance 44 - -
Hi Axel,

The pictures you posted of your cabin are beautiful to say the least. I am eager to hear more about how long you have had your boat and where all it has taken you.

Yes I hope you can help me. My boat was made as a cutter it has the mast in the raised area near the forward end of the coach roof of the cabin. This is all fine and well and I know where the mast and stays go. My question is about the mainsail sheeting, traveler and winch placement. I have seen a few pictures of cutters but in none of them can I make out any of these features. What I am after are some photos of your cockpit and side decks so I can see the following things:

1. A side view of the boat taken even with the aft end of the boom. Where I can see the sheeting coming off the boom.
2. A side view of the boat taken even with the traveler if it is located forward on the boom.
3. A picture of the mainsheet traveler with the sheet run to and from it.
4. A picture of the mainsheet winch with the sheet run to it so I can see how it is run.
5. Some pictures of your cockpit so I can see your headsail winch placement and how the sheets are run to them.
6. A picture of your sail tracks on the side decks so I can see their placement.

The drawings I have of the sail plan do not show this information at all. I am not to a point where I really need this yet but if I can get it now that will be great. If your boat is covered for the winter just wait till spring and take them is fine. I'll send you a PM with my Email address.

Thanks so much,

Neil

Dec 1, 2008
Hi Neil,

No problem at all! She is in the water shivering in the ice at the moment. I think I know what you'll need and I will take some pictures this afternoon.

I've had her since 2000. The previous owner thought he was getting toold to keep up the maintenance and I have to admit, she's is a bit cumbersome compared to previous yachts I have owned. Her builder was a german carpenter who sailed her to holland somewhere in the mid nineties.

The reason I bought her that I fell hopelessly in love with her lovely hull shape and I was looking for a long distance cruiser. The long distances I have yet to sail with her. Partly because my (lack of) confidence in my own sailing abilities, partly because of work and partly because I'm fixing up an old house. Although the latter two maybe weak excuses ;-). The North Sea is just around the corner but can be a treacherous stretch of water. I mainly sail her on the IJsselmeer which is an inner lake. Nothing beats trimming her well in steady winds, fixing the rudder and then sit on the cabin :).

I hope you can finish yours soon!

Cheers,

--Axel

Nov 24, 2008
Wanderlust V will be ours on March 31

Rick/All,

our Ericson has a solid deal on it so we will be closing both sales (Selling Ericson and Buying Reliance 44) on or around March 31! Yay!

cheers,

Mike
Mike Gritten
s/v Wanderlust V
Reliance 44 :)

Nov 24, 2008
Ok, I was a little premature before, and my definition of "solid deal" has changed somewhat, but, barring a nucleur holocaust, we WILL be the new owners of Wanderlust V on the 30th of June!

MikeGritten

the "new" owner of Wanderlust V

Status
Not open for further replies.