Calling ALL Catalina 34 owners

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Looks like my hot water tank has given. up the ghost. Looking for info from those of you that have replaced your tanks. I see 2 options. 1) detach and remove the entire counter. 2) cut access through the back of the dinette settee that is common to the tank area.

So, to those of you who have encountered this task, what worked best for you.. This is a 1986 C 34

Thanks,
Rick

Jul 7, 2013
Catalina 34 856 hamilton
Does yours not fit through the hole in the side of the galley? You might need to just remove the trim. The standard square shaped one should fit through the opening. removing the counter top is not for the faint of heart. i've removed mine (wood damage), you basically have to remove all of the galley wood to get it out.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Does yours not fit through the hole in the side of the galley? You might need to just remove the trim. The standard square shaped one should fit through the opening. removing the counter top is not for the faint of heart. i've removed mine (wood damage), you basically have to remove all of the galley wood to get it out.
The heater that is in there now was a replacement when I acquired the boat, Even with the trim around the access hatch removed I doubt there is sufficient room. The counter top shows a minor deformation from what I believe was the last change out. The boat is 33 yr old. I must assume that the current tank is at least 2nd generation and possibly 3rd.

3rd option might be to remove the sink only....

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
What make of heater is it? Capacity?

You should be able to get any 6 gallon heater out with the door & trim removed.

Anything bigger, bets are off.

Our C34 website also has instructions as to how to remove the countertop.

I wrote a C34 tech note when I did mine in 2013. Are you a C34 IA member? Have you registered for the C34 forum? It's free, just like this one, and I do both, daily.

Jul 7, 2013
Catalina 34 856 hamilton
The heater that is in there now was a replacement when I acquired the boat, Even with the trim around the access hatch removed I doubt there is sufficient room.
mines a tight fit too, but it scrapes through the hole. Can you provide any pictures? Make/model?

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
What make of heater is it? Capacity?

You should be able to get any 6 gallon heater out with the door & trim removed.

Anything bigger, bets are off.

Our C34 website also has instructions as to how to remove the countertop.

I wrote a C34 tech note when I did mine in 2013. Are you a C34 IA member? Have you registered for the C34 forum? It's free, just like this one, and I do both, daily.
Stu, yes member.. Thanks for the wake up.. I'll check the wiki

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
UPDATE....The old tank is out.. Large rust out hole in the bottom. I removed the sink to get access. The new tank arrived.. Aluminum and stainless and is a cube. Currently changing the plumbing. Here in Maine we need to treat for freezing. RV antifreeze is the preferred route. Old tank would get drained. The inlet and outlet lines would need to be released from the barbs ( always good for cuts and bruises) and then hooked together. Closing this loop, RV antifreeze is then run through all water lines. NOW the hoses will stay in place. A by-pass manifold with 3 ball valves will allow the same activity by simply turning valves..

Jimm

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 33.5 Bodkin Creek - Bodkin YC
UPDATE....The old tank is out.. Large rust out hole in the bottom. I removed the sink to get access. The new tank arrived.. Aluminum and stainless and is a cube. Currently changing the plumbing. Here in Maine we need to treat for freezing. RV antifreeze is the preferred route. Old tank would get drained. The inlet and outlet lines would need to be released from the barbs ( always good for cuts and bruises) and then hooked together. Closing this loop, RV antifreeze is then run through all water lines. NOW the hoses will stay in place. A by-pass manifold with 3 ball valves will allow the same activity by simply turning valves..
Good to know - replacing mine in my '88 this winter......

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Good to know - replacing mine in my '88 this winter......
Jimm, To remove the sink I used a heat gun to soften the silicone bedding. Then I started working a putty knife under the sink. Freeing the open end of the sink was a breeze. The front edge, other side and back were a different story. Because of the wooden lip around 3/4 of the sink, it became necessary to think outside the box. So, I took an older putty knife and bent it at a90 degree angle to the handle about an inch and a half from the end. Heat gun again.. The forced, dragged and heated my way around.
Don't be afraid to cut the old hose. It will be easier to accomplish removal and a better install to replace the old stuff.