Calling all Catalina 275 owners

Jun 6, 2016
Catalina 275 Wilmette, IL
If anyone else has any experience or suggestions as I order a new 275, I would value your comments.
For some reason, I'm not getting notification of posts even though I'm watching the threads. Anyway, review "pimp" for any ideas. Also, Catalina claims they do not paint the inside, but they did on my boat and they've been doing it for years. Catalina is resistant to custom suggestions and should be thought as Ford cars and you get what you get. But I did get them to do a few minor things, but mostly leaving things out so I can put in my own. If you have any females on the boat, I really suggest the toilet I installed. Much better than the hand pump.

Mar 11, 2014
I haven't been receiving any notices either... Good luck with Catalina... hope they are doing well under new leadership

Jul 24, 2018
Catalina 275 36 Sydney Harbour
Hi thanks for reaching out - the Queensland C275 is likely the only one to come up anytime soon, I will attempt to get a qute and see if its at all possible to move yachts interstate during our interesting current times :cool:
Really love the look of your Sapphire - great looking blue hull - I was hoping yours would be the one!
20 years ago, I chose a light blue paint scheme on my Alan Payne designed launch to go around the windows...
Can you point me in the direction of CodyBears blog that I think you referred to - sounds interesting. Thanks
Yeah the blue topside colour tends to sharply divide opinion - love it or hate it. Both Ciara and Sapphire were on the market same time so i had the option and went with Sapphire, in no small part down to a clear preference for the blue.

On basis Gretel was designed by Alan Payne and built by Halvorsen yard back in the day is that launch an old Halvorsen?

Aug 13, 2021
Catalina 275 Sydney Harbour
Yeah the blue topside colour tends to sharply divide opinion - love it or hate it. Both Ciara and Sapphire were on the market same time so i had the option and went with Sapphire, in no small part down to a clear preference for the blue.

On basis Gretel was designed by Alan Payne and built by Halvorsen yard back in the day is that launch an old Halvorsen?
She was originally built in1948 by shipwright - unknown name by D A Jefferies who owned the Rose Bay Marina for his own family use. My wife suggested we sell as It was costing $20k/yr in maintenance. It was purchased by Rozetta, Alans daughter and I am told gets a lot of use.

Jul 24, 2021
Catalina 250WK Osterville
Codybear,

Thank you. I learned to sail from Dempster Street beach in Evanston. Great to hear there is good sailing from Wilmette.

Froudy

Apr 18, 2020
Catalina 275 Sag Harbor
Folks,

Just putting the word out.. thinking of selling Chipara sail #27. I have done nothing formal yet. I plan to put her on the hard soon as I have a broken arm (thank you j111 race boat) - message me if any interest.

Jun 6, 2016
Catalina 275 Wilmette, IL
They say curiosity killed the cat. Is you next boat a cat or something else?

Froudy

Apr 18, 2020
Catalina 275 Sag Harbor
lol codybear! So no decisions yet either way. Caught the racing bug this season so that has eaten into my personal boat time. Also totally spoiled as the j111 is brand new and we have a great crew. Another friend has suggested going into a partnership on a j70. We now have nine of them in the local club and race every week from May to October.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 275 15 Bellevue, WA
What are people's thoughts on a used 2015 hull that has only been in fresh water? It would have to move half way across the country and I would sail it on the lake here in Washington State. My other choices are a new First 27 or a J/9. Both of those would be new, so almost three times the money.

Thoughts?

Mar 11, 2014
All boats require service, even new ones. If you buy new you still pay shipping, if you buy used then you pay for upgrades. a '15 will likely need new sails unless the PO just changed them... as far as a freshwater boat, the stainless will be pristine. My new main and 106 were about 5K...

Bottom line it depends on many factors you haven't mentioned. The boats purpose, and your budget. If your gonna race it the J will beat the 275 , but the rating will be reflected in same... the 275 is heavy for its size, but its a Catalina. I like the 275 and I race it, for fun, I find the boat meets my needs, so there is the bottom line...get the boat that meets your needs and budget... You can negotiate the price to account for its condition but certainly not on the new boat... Good luck

Jan 22, 2008
Thanks. I think I am good shape. I will need to evaluate the sails when I get the boat.

Jan 22, 2008
OK, here is the update. Survey happened today. Boat apparently shows as new. Some mildew in the lazerettes on the inside of the hull. Mostly because the boat was used do lightly.

The surveyor also noted that there is water in the rudder, which I guess is somewhat common. Fix is to drill holes in the bottom, let it drain out and then insert plugs. Local shop said not a big deal.

Otherwise, exciting.

One more question for this group. Has anyone ever installed a "below deck" autohelp in a 275?

Thanks

Mike