Calling all Catalina 275 owners

Jun 6, 2016
Catalina 275 Wilmette, IL
Welcome to the C275 threads. Can't say you are doing a good job of promoting Toronto tourism if that is what you get in July. Yeah, I know, a good nor'easter in Chicago is not that inviting as well.

Thos

Aug 2, 2017
Catalina 275s PCYC
Glad to be on board.
Incidental thing about that cold weather June and July... Caused condensation enough to partially soak starboard side v-berth cushion and leave a bit of water in the bilge as well. Nothing since warmer weather and boat is as as dry as it was in previous seasons.

PMK

Dec 3, 2016
Catalina 275S Annapolis, MD
Welcome Thos! I'll likely add add a folding prop for next season and was considering a Gori prop. How do you like your Kiwi prop? Compared to the fixed 2 blade prop, do you see a notable difference in sailing speed? Does it seem to justify the 13 sec/mile change in your PHRF rating? Any difference seen in speed / RPM and in backing?

Thos

Aug 2, 2017
Catalina 275s PCYC
I like the Kiwi prop a lot. I think it is worth the PHRF hit. I have the three blade unit and it has real bite especially in reverse. Price is right and I also considered both the reduced weight and lower galvanic load re corrosion. I take it off for the winter storage.

PMK

Dec 3, 2016
Thanks for the info. I'll definitely consider the Kiwi prop.

Mar 11, 2014
Hi I've owned 4 Catalinas since the mid 80s, a 27, a 30 and Cat 22 and a Capri 22. Dorian took the Capri out in early September and today I take delivery of a 275 Hull 34. When I sailed it it felt like a large Capri so I'm really looking forward to getting to know her in my new cruising ground of Charleston SC.

Jun 6, 2016
Congrats. As a fellow Capri 22 owner/past owner, I do not expect you will regret your new purchase. Enjoy. And if I may give your first upgrade suggestion, replace the cooler locking pin with the dual latches I documented in "pimp." Just be careful to make sure you bore the holes in the correct place. Measure more than twice and install one at a time.

Mar 11, 2014
Got my PHRF rating from Charleston Ocean Racing association - They gave me a 180 with the Spin and a 202 with out... The rater said he only found two boats with ratings and they were 100 seconds apart so he punted. What did every one else get?

PMK

Dec 3, 2016
Your ratings seem appropriate. Here is my boat's (s/v Cloud Nine, hull #9) history: I bought my boat new in 2017 and when I applied for a PHRF-Chesapeake rating, I was assigned 138 spin and 141 NS. I immediately appealed, citing much high ratings for a couple of other boats with published ratings. My boat's rating was revised to 156 spin and 159 NS for W/L course and 153 spin and 159 NS for a random leg course. I raced spinnaker with these ratings for two seasons and after finishing consistently in last place, appealed again and was given my current (2019) rating: W/L 168 spin, 171 NS and random course 171 spin, 174 NS. These ratings include +9 sec for RF headsail (106%) and above deck drum (Cloud Nine has a folding prop, so no credit for prop, fixed prop is a +9 sec credit). I did ok this season, but am sure that the ratings are still too low, but I have no plans to appeal again. Your ratings of 180/202 seem more appropriate than mine. Do you have a 106% genoa, and a folding prop? The folding prop makes a huge difference, especially in light wind. Good luck!

Mar 11, 2014
No folding prop. I beleive the Jib must be 106 as it wasn't made for the self tacker and would need to be reefed for that

Nov 27, 2019
C&C 30. MK1 715 Lake Norman
Hello all,
I just became the first owner of hull #31. I bought the boat in Ohio and will have it shipped to NC asap. I will be day sailing and club racing on Lake Norman as soon as it warms up.
The boat has an A-Spin on a furler and the 106% genny, plus I'm planning to add a larger Genoa along with sail track etc to handle it. Anyone have thoughts or advise on this?
I've learned a lot about the boat from this thread and can't wait to get my 275 home.

Mar 11, 2014
Hello all,
I just became the first owner of hull #31. I bought the boat in Ohio and will have it shipped to NC asap. I will be day sailing and club racing on Lake Norman as soon as it warms up.
The boat has an A-Spin on a furler and the 106% genny, plus I'm planning to add a larger Genoa along with sail track etc to handle it. Anyone have thoughts or advise on this?
I've learned a lot about the boat from this thread and can't wait to get my 275 home.
Congrats! I got mine in November when I had it shipped from Miami. Funny thing is while I have Hull 34, the sail numbers are 31. Apparently the original owner didn't get sails with the boat and was told he was going to get hull 31 so he had his sail maker put those numbers on the sails. Looks like you got the boat that was supposed to go to Miami... Enjoy

Please let me know what the LNKC assigns you as a PHRF. Always curious in that regard. The folks in Charleston gave me a 180 NS and 202 with Spin.

As to a large over lapping Jib, not sure its worth it as the outboard shrouds will really make you simply want to fly a zero off the sprint as they will likely both allow you to point just as high and the zero will fly better in the light air you'd need it in

Let me know if you ever make it down to Charleston and we'll go out on Spray to trade stories.

Jun 6, 2016
A genoa would be nice, but I too would have concerns about the outer shrouds. The boat is narrow for its size and I certainly would have someone in the know verify the configuration before you do the work and expense. Additionally, if you have any kind of wind, you'll take a performance hit with the furled genoa. Could swap sails for conditions, but that is more work than I would consider. I would suggest spending a summer sailing her and revisit this subject next winter.

Azure

Mar 5, 2017
Catalina 275 Sport 1 San Francisco
I thought I saw a boat online at the Toronto Boat Show designated as a Catalina 275 r. It was totally stripped down, no saildrive and the shrouds had been located inboard next to the cabin top. It also had genoa sailtracks on the decks. Be nice to have more information about it.

Nov 27, 2019
I've looked for more info on that 275R but haven't found any. Perhaps it's a custom modification.

I sail in a VERY light air area and think a 130-150% genny would be just the ticket in spite of the loss in pointing. And since I primarily race in non-spin it would be would be a game changer downwind. I will be consulting very closely with my sailmaker before beginning the project.

I will update the forum on what rating I receive, but that will be awhile.

I was going to use 31 as my sail number! maybe will rethink it. And likewise if you come to the Charlotte area let me know and we'll sail Amaidi`

PMK

Dec 3, 2016
Take a look at the C275 listed for sale on Yacht World by RCR Yachts in Sodus Pt, NY. This boat has an extra set of outboard tracks, an extra set of aft winches, 135 and 150% genoas and a Code Zero spinnaker in addition to the asym. The shrouds are in their standard outboard position. Clearly a boat set up for light air and/or lots of off the wind sailing. Take a look at this for pictures of the placement of the second set of winches and genoa tracks. Perhaps you can contact the owner through the broker to get info on their experience with the larger headsails.

Nov 27, 2019
I was up there to look at that boat. Would have bought it except it is shoal draft, that wasn't reflected in the listing at the time.
I'll use both boats as guides when I set mine up, along with all the advise I can get(including waiting awhile).

Mar 11, 2014
Hey folks - Was chatting with the Catalina folksthis week and they tell me that they have two new 275 hulls in the shed that are in process. They will be noted as Hulls 50 and 51...

Apr 18, 2020
J-boat J/105 Fort Walton Beach
Hello all,
I just bought a C275 but not sure of the hull number as I bought unseen (but surveyed) due to Covid-19!! Currently it's named "Quantify" and sits in storage in Rochester NY, but is being trucked to Florida panhandle where I live. I recently moved from SF Bay where I co-owned a J/80 which also had a dreadful PHRF rating. Or maybe that was our excuse for struggling to finish in the top 50%!
Anyway, I intend to trailer it to races in FL and the Southeast. Looking forward to any racing tips and stories!
thanks all, Pete Boland

Nov 27, 2019
Congratulation Pete,
I would have bought that boat myself but I didn't want a shoal keel. It is in really good condition and very well outfitted.(I looked at it awhile back).
I just received a PHRF rating of 189 here on Lake Norman, but with the present crisis all racing has been cancelled for the time being. Still sorting my boat out so don't have any tips to share, just questions! But that's for a later posting.
Welcome aboard.
Steve