Calling all 36

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob

I have a 1986 Catalina 36 and love it.It came with a cruising spinnaker and I was thinking of getting a pole for it. What are the +s and -s? What size should I get? I will be pulling it out soon for bottom paint besides repacking the shaft what else should I think about doing because of its age? With the 25M Uni 21hp engine three blade prop what cruising speed should I get and at what rpm? Thanks for the info, Bob

B

Bob Robeson

36 owner

I too just got a 1986 C-36. I cruise at about 6 knots at 2450 RPM and can do over 7 at WOT about 2800 rpm. If the boat is kept in saltwater, think about bottom paint. Replace the Zincs. Rememmber the zinc inside the heat exchanger. Fix any blisters. A spinnaker pole will allow to to run farther down. Good luck Bob R

M

Mark Johnson

Had a 1985

It's really a great boat. Mine had the fin keel and sailed really well. I too had the 21hp Universal, and had problems with overheating from the time it was new. Over the years I guess it was determined that the heat exchanger was too small for the engine. They may have corrected that problem in later models. Good Luck..You will like the boat. Mark Johnson

L

Larry Sorensen

Have a whisker pole for you.

I have a brand new whisker pole for my 36. It is a 31/2 inch expandable from Forespar. New it is $800.00 I'd be willing to sell it for $500.00 if your interested. My email is ls401k@aol.com I bought the pole for last years newport to ensanada race which ended up being into the wind all the way. The boat/pole is in San Diego.

A

Art Golden

As a friend of mine with a '90-36' has said many times...your under-powered. You either need to re-power or consider changing the blade pitch to help increase speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.