Caliber 28 prop question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Hello Members,

Recently (under two weeks ago) we purchased a Caliber 28 that is equipped with a popular brand folding prop instead of the original two-blade prop. Propulsion forward is limited to 3.5 knots, and the Yanmar 2GM20 can be pushed to nearly 4000 rpms which exceeds the engine's design limits. Reverse is limited to slowing the boat's forward progress or prop-walking to port from a full stop. My skill in maneuvering this particular boat is surely some of the difficulty, but here is my question:

Can any of the Caliber 28 owners share their prop information with me? What diameter and pitch are you using effectively?

My planned use of the boat will be cruising and daysailing. Also, I would like to buy a two blade prop rather than the more expensive feathering prop which the surveyor suggested.

I have a copy of the original information from about 1983. Our boat is a 1987 model. The prop specifications in that information is as follows: 14 X 16 X 1 RH. I wonder whether that prop has proven to be the appropriate prop in actual experience. I have sent this question to the Caliber Company, and although they have been helpful in supplying the older information, I have not gotten a reply to this specific question. The Caliber Owners' Association did not appear to address this concern in the discussions that I saw.

Thanks, Phil

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37 C sloop Punta Gorda FL
Hello Members,

Recently (under two weeks ago) we purchased a Caliber 28 that is equipped with a popular brand folding prop instead of the original two-blade prop. Propulsion forward is limited to 3.5 knots, and the Yanmar 2GM20 can be pushed to nearly 4000 rpms which exceeds the engine's design limits. Reverse is limited to slowing the boat's forward progress or prop-walking to port from a full stop. My skill in maneuvering this particular boat is surely some of the difficulty, but here is my question:

Can any of the Caliber 28 owners share their prop information with me? What diameter and pitch are you using effectively?

My planned use of the boat will be cruising and daysailing. Also, I would like to buy a two blade prop rather than the more expensive feathering prop which the surveyor suggested.

I have a copy of the original information from about 1983. Our boat is a 1987 model. The prop specifications in that information is as follows: 14 X 16 X 1 RH. I wonder whether that prop has proven to be the appropriate prop in actual experience. I have sent this question to the Caliber Company, and although they have been helpful in supplying the older information, I have not gotten a reply to this specific question. The Caliber Owners' Association did not appear to address this concern in the discussions that I saw.

Thanks, Phil
Any propeller retailer like Michigan Wheel, north by west, or your local propeller shop can help you. They all use similar equations to calculate appropriate diameter and pitch for any boat,engine,transmission combination.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Thanks Bill,

I checked Michigan Wheel earlier for the prop listed in the paperwork and found it as a special order which suggested it wasn't too popular. I wondered whether other owners of the Caliber 28 might have actual experience to share concerning that prop or any other.

Enjoy the PG/Charlotte Harbor area. I hope the rain is easing off a bit. We are looking forward to returning to Cape Coral in October.

Phil

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37 C sloop Punta Gorda FL
Enjoy the PG/Charlotte Harbor area. I hope the rain is easing off a bit. We are looking forward to returning to Cape Coral in October. Phil[/QUOTE said:
Give us a shout if we can help!

Status
Not open for further replies.