Cal Owners Group, active Group

Mar 23, 2015
Cal 3-30 Bayfield
Looked for groups...none appear to be Cal 30, and those groups at Yahoo, dont appear to be active.

I appreciate your assistance!

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
Looked for groups...none appear to be Cal 30, and those groups at Yahoo, dont appear to be active.

I appreciate your assistance!
the yahoo groups absolutely are active.. im a member. it is NOT a forum like this one, but in a much different format that i dont like so I rarely go there unless I see something of interest in my notifier.
and no, you wont find a specific cal 30 group anywhere. if you have a desire to be in a cal croup that excludes all other sizes except what you own, you will need to buy a cal 20:D

Mar 23, 2015
Cal 3-30 Bayfield
can you give me a name of the group you are referring to? The group that would accept a lowly Cal 3-30 owner?

Mar 20, 2012
can you give me a name of the group you are referring to? The group that would accept a lowly Cal 3-30 owner?
i sent a link in my first reply to you... you need to figure out how to join the group from yahoos seemingly top secret method of navigating these things... I cant tell you because i dont even know how I stumbled on to it...

as i've said, I dont like their format and because of that I dont participate much.
every so often someone has a question about a 34 that I am able to help with, or some information that I can glean, but otherwise its more of an email forum where you post your question today, it shows up in everyones notifier tomorrow, then when they have the time, some one or many may reply... and the following day you will see in your notifier that you have some feedback....
some people must like it that way, because even though this site has a much better format for the same purpose, yahoo still has the bulk of the cal boat crowd... go figure!!
I do own a cal boat and am a member of the yahoo cal group, which the people there have a lot of imformation about the specific model of boat, but this site is better and has more quality information about the care and feeding of boats in general, its much easier to navigate, and its in real time, which means if someone who knows the answer to your question is on at the time you post your question, it will be answered within a few minutes... AND there are cal 30 owners here to answer any questions you may have.

Nov 11, 2016
CAL 2 34 Squalicum Harbor
Thanks S/V Resa for that link. I have been trying for months to connect with the yahoo group and thanks to your link I was able to send the request. We'll see what they think.

On another note ...... I bought my Cal 2 34 a year ago April and we have had quite the journey. One of her issues is one cracked window and one crazed window from the original stove that was in there. I am in Washington state and have been searching everywhere, (net included), to find someone who makes them. I've been told of a guy named Mark in California who builds them but I have not been able to find him. The 5400 they used to seal the outer frames to the plexiglass is impenetrable so I need to have new ones made.

Does anybody out there have any ideas or resources?
Am so glad to have found this list.
Faith
S/V Sea Jewel Cal 2 34

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Sea Jewel, pleased to welcome you to the CAL forum and SBO. While not boat specific for us CAL owners it is a great forum to build and share knowledge about boats and boating. The owners here have helped me immensely.
Looking forward to seeing another CAL on the waters of the Sound.

Nov 11, 2016
Thanks so much! I'm really excited to connect with everyone, specifically CAL owners, as I have had quite the journey with Sea Jewel since purchasing her a year and a half ago. Hopefully my journey with pretty much a complete rebuild of my Westerbeke 4-91, paragon transmission and hull repaint due to my neighbor crashing into me during one of last spring's gale storm will be helpful to others. I've done lots of research and found many resources for hard to find parts and services and given my quest to restore her am looking forward to networking and finding more.
It's always a thrill to me to see other CALs on the water ..... love the idea of sister sailing as well.
Faith
S/V Sea Jewel

Mar 20, 2012
my journey with pretty much a complete rebuild of my Westerbeke 4-91, and paragon transmission
Faith
S/V Sea Jewel
Have you done the rebuilding of the engine and trans already, or are they still on the "to do" list?

Nov 11, 2016
They are both complete ..... was no small feat given that parts for the Westerbeke are almost impossible to find. Thankfully I found the only guy on the planet who works on Paragons and he is in SC ..... well worth the find ....... he did an amazing job, was a pleasure to work with and has been working on them for over 40 years so he has tons of parts and the ingenuity to create the ones he doesn't have.

Mar 20, 2012
They are both complete ..... was no small feat given that parts for the Westerbeke are almost impossible to find. Thankfully I found the only guy on the planet who works on Paragons and he is in SC ..... well worth the find ....... he did an amazing job, was a pleasure to work with and has been working on them for over 40 years so he has tons of parts and the ingenuity to create the ones he doesn't have.
thats good information to have and share... if you go to http://richardanderson.net/calsailboats/ and post the information there, Richard will archive it for others to use.. or you can find his email there and send it to him that way, which may be a better way to get it to him..

Nov 11, 2016
Thanks for the link. I stumbled upon his site yesterday but somehow missed his enthusiasm for CALs.
Also want to put kudos out there for Tri County Diesel Marine in Bellingham! The folks over there are absolutely amazing as well; tireless in their willingness to find solutions and patient in my relentless quest to get the Westerbeke 4-91 back up and running with all surrounding parts ship shape as well. They are very well connected to all the marine folks locally and then some so as a resource they're also incredible!
Am happy to share whatever I can to help anyone out there working to revive a 40+ year old engine after it's been run out of fuel and sprayed with heet, (not by me ... by the boat yard checking her systems after a bottom paint job) to get her back in her slip. As I said it's been quite the journey but I've learned a lot and love her even more :)

Nov 11, 2016
Actually, let me correct that previous statement and say that I was distracted by the Sun Odyssey and therefore thought perhaps the CALs were a passing fancy for Mr. Andersen. Upon revisiting I see his CAL section is most certainly active and growing. Thanks again for the resource.

Mar 20, 2012
Actually, let me correct that previous statement and say that I was distracted by the Sun Odyssey and therefore thought perhaps the CALs were a passing fancy for Mr. Andersen. Upon revisiting I see his CAL section is most certainly active and growing. Thanks again for the resource.
he has the most comprehensive collection of cal information on the web.... if there is another site thats better, its a very well kept secret... I have suggested to him that he should open a forum for cal owners, or at the very least have a cal owners registration page, but as much as he likes collecting and posting the information for others to use, he has no interest in constantly babysitting a webpage....

Nov 17, 2014
Catalina 30 3099 Louisville
Thanks S/V Resa for that link. I have been trying for months to connect with the yahoo group and thanks to your link I was able to send the request. We'll see what they think.

On another note ...... I bought my Cal 2 34 a year ago April and we have had quite the journey. One of her issues is one cracked window and one crazed window from the original stove that was in there. I am in Washington state and have been searching everywhere, (net included), to find someone who makes them. I've been told of a guy named Mark in California who builds them but I have not been able to find him. The 5400 they used to seal the outer frames to the plexiglass is impenetrable so I need to have new ones made.

Does anybody out there have any ideas or resources?
Am so glad to have found this list.
Faith
S/V Sea Jewel Cal 2 34
There's a company in Washington that makes custom Yacht windows. MotionWindows. My father sent in a drawing to them and they made up brand new windows (For a US30 we were restoring) at around $100 a window (Which is a steal) I doubt they'd still sell them at that. Their biggest concern was if they could make the radius on the corner of the window.

Also you can take a heatgun to sortof release 5200, but the windows most likely will be destroyed by removing them.

Nov 11, 2016
Thank you so much for the info. Someone from another CAL group suggested them as well and said he was very pleased with their work also.
It's great to have so many folks with resources and wanting to help! I'll definitely check them out.

Dec 28, 2016
Cal 2-30 City Island, Bronx New York
Hello all - not sure this is the best available forum to be posting to but am the new owner of a 1969 Cal 2-30 and trying to find the original owner's manual or, for that matter, any substantive documents on original rig layout etc. Any thoughts appreciated.