Cal 36 - 9 foot draft??

Aug 13, 2022
Cal 34 Santa Barbara
Hi all,

There is a Cal 36 for sale near me, and I want to go and take a look at it. Beautiful boats and I know they are highly regarded, as long as I check on a few specific things. I’m curious -could Cal have built some boats differently than others? He is saying that this is “a special boat” and he may be referring to the mast and boom (higher mast, shorter boom), but most Importantly the draft. He is certain the draft is 9 foot. Says it came factory like that to compete in racing.He has also not owned the boat very long, so I don’t know what to think. It’s probably a deal breaker for me if this boat has a 9 foot draft, but I can’t imagine they did that??
Thanks in advance!

Aug 13, 2022
Cal 34 Santa Barbara
Thanks! I see you’re in SF - the boat I’m looking at in in Alameda. The Año Nuevo. I realize that all the info online says one thing, but I’m just curious if for some reason someone could have ordered one special like this? It seems wild to me but he’s really sure that it’s that deep! Lol

also - “must have apps for RV’ers”, huh? didn’t find any boat facts in there! Haha

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It would be in likely that the Cal 36 had a 9 ft keel. The CAL 40 had a 5.58ft keel. My CAL 35C has a 4.7 ft keel. The 36 is reported to have a 5.7 keel. And the CAL 36C a 5.58 keel.
If it has a 9ft keel it would be a rare beast and not have the hull that made them all so popular.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Highly unlikely that the Jensen factory would have done this. But any Frankenstein modifications a previous owner may have done to the boat would be anyone's guess. Personally, I highly doubt it has a 9' draft.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I am in that also camp..........ask the owner for his survey, which should have photos of the survey haulout, for your review.

Aug 13, 2022
Cal 34 Santa Barbara
Well! If anyone was curious - it really was a 9’ draft. Apparently a sailor named Rolfe Croker had specifications that he gave to Cal (not sure if he was friends with Bill Lapworth, or how on that), and the boat was specifically made for him! It is probably only called a Cal 36 because it happens to be 36 feet long, made by Cal. Not necessarily like the others. Kinda cool! Passed on it unfortunately, but a neat boat nonetheless.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Thanks Pete for reporting back. Sounds like it was a one of a kind boat. Cool. Did you spend time talking with the owner. Any report of problems or benefits from the design feature?