Cal 34 i, ii or iii

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
I would prefer to find a Mk III, as it would be identical to what I have.
im looking for an abandoned or unwanted hull, severly damaged or otherwise, that i can cut out the rear of the cockpit and gunnel behind the helm. im willing to pay a reasonable price for this part, as
I would like to use this part as a mold for a project im working on so I dont have to haul my boat up on the hard to do it. Thank you
contact me anytime... either private message here on SBO, or call me, 503-932-2146....

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
So what is it you are imagining to do? Put a sugar scoop on a Cal34?

Mar 20, 2012
no sugar scoop..... I want to build up the rear of the cockpit settee, to raise the helm seating area and to make a deeper locker (lazerette) in the stern where storage and access is very limited in the original configuration with only a port settee hatch opening.
a (poop)deck that is about 12" above the existing gunnels is my plan.
I would like the cockpit section to use as a form to build onto using fiberglass. this allows me to do it in my shop and roll/turn it as needed for convenience during the layup process.
after the basic shape is fitted and reinforced, I could then remove it from the form, cut/fit/form the hatch door and do most of the finish work without making a mess of my boat until its ready for the install.
in addition to opening up room and making a place to hang bundles of extra line, this feature would also limit the amount of water taken into the cockpit in the event of ever being pooped...

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Like the approach. Takes some of the guess work out of the process. I walked the marina in Everett last week and saw a Cal29 with a modified stern end to the cockpit. He had built a seat out of StarBoard. Raised the seat about 12 inches above the bench seats. This gave him an elevated perch to see over the cabin while at the helm. He then converted the added space above the seats and cockpit floor to storage bins. with cutouts and covered hatches. Likely did not help with the reduction of flooding your seeking, but easily installed or removed/modified as needed. I'll try to get you an image and send it along.

I've been thinking about something to raise the helmsman on y Cal35 so visibility above the pilothouse salon would be possible. As of now, I stretch out on the lee side seat and try to look through the windows. Or stand up and take the spray. Putting on a dodger to help stretch the season is on a list of priorities.

On the seats have you ever tried one of the 9in height helm cushions that were sold by our Forum Provider store? I wonder if they would be stable enough and provide the needed height.
John

Mar 20, 2012
I use three throwable cushions to set on now... its about the right height for visibility and leg comfort... when im on the motor, (except for leaving/entering the marina), I'm on autopilot, so then, setting on the cushions, I can lean back against a strern rail post in the corner and be very comfortable... to the point that I once fell asleep:yikes:..... I woke up to my wife laughing at me.

a ready built helm seat would work for motoring, but I want a custom seat that will be just as comfortable at a 25degree heel as it will when level... with a leaning post:biggrin:...

rather than trying to sail up the river against the 3-4kt current, we motor....and thiis happens during the summer and winter, wind, rain and storms dont matter to us, because i just bundle up, put on the raingear and keep watch... and adjust the autopilot when needed, as its not hooked into the system so that I can set a route.
a bit of spray and heavy rain just keeps it refreshing....

last year we left our marina at 1:30 in the afternoon and headed up the river into the gorge (columbia river), where we encountered sustained 45-50kts winds with gusts of 55-60kts lasting for 10-15 minutes. they were mostly headwinds, but due to the canyon, it came from all angles...
it was pitch dark, raining sheets, and we were motoring upriver on autopilot with me keeping a constant watch at the helm and my eyes glued to the radar screen for a blip, while my wife kept me supplied with dry gloves, good food and hot chocolate....
we eventually made our desination for the weekend 3miles below bonneville dam at a friends place, and at the time, I didnt even realize how much time had passed since we left the marina, as it got dark that day by about 4:30 pm due the the weather.... it took us a fll 8+hrs to go 35miles against the wind and current...
the weather, as severe as it was, and what it inspired, actually made it an exciting trip, and a real adventure to remember...

but next time you can bet I will have a heavyweight poncho to wear as a windbreak over my raingear:biggrin:....