Cal 33-2 Too much weather helm

Jun 29, 2012
Cal 33-2 St. Michaels MD
My Cal 33-2 have a very heavy weather helm. To reduce this weather helm, I have moved my mast forward about 1/4 " at the deck. This helped in winds of 8 to 10 knots but any wind speed over this, the weather helm increases to where it get almost impossible to keep the boat going to weather. Reefing the main helps but not enough. I checked the stays and had them adjusted and have made sure they are run through the spreader properly. Any one out there with a Cal 33-2 who could give me some insight in getting this boat balanced?

Jeep
Moonraker Cal 33-2

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
moving the mast forward at the deck is not the answer.... you need to adjust the standing rigging to bring the top of the mast forward...

but before doing that,

How is the rigging tensioned?... it has to be tight.
how much rake (leaning rearward) do you have in the mast now?
what size of headsail are you running?
how much is the boat heeling over?
have you recently purchased the boat?
is the bottom relatively clean?....

weather helm would mean the boat is turning into the wind when you let go of the wheel... too much weather helm would mean you cant keep it from turning...

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
moving the mast forward at the deck is not the answer.... you need to adjust the standing rigging to bring the top of the mast forward...
The Call 33 has a keel stepped mast, right? If yes then moving the mast forward at the deck (by re-wedging it) would for sure help weather helm for the reasons you mentioned, it moves the sailplan forward. The base stays put so the effect is tilting forward. If fact this HAS to be done before you mess with your standing rigging.

To the OP when is the condition of your mainsail? If its blown out and you can't depower (flatten) it, it will have this effect.