Cal 33-2 not sailing to its rating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 29, 2012
Cal 33-2 St. Michaels MD
I have recently acquired a 1987 Cal 33-2 SD. The boat is scratch boat in the fleet giving the others at least 10 seconds per mile and up. I have new sails and my starts are good. We lose every body going to windward do to the other boats out pointing us. we have tried adjusting backstay tension but the boat just will not go to windward. My genoa tail tails indicate my not pinching. Any one else out there race these boats? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Lou

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Some thoughts.

Remember a shoal draft boat will not point as high. Your speed has to come from footing off a bit and boat speed. You need you find the right combo.

Then:

Prop. Do you have a folder? A fixed prop will kill you.

Mainsail. Key to upwind pointing and speed. Boom to centerline with traveler up. All telltales streaming with top flickering.

Light. What's in your boat. A heavy boat will kill you. Get all your cruising crap out if you want to win.

On the first upwind, what happens? Is the problem speed or point? Are you starting behind them and in bad gas, or are you getting rolled? Need to keep your air clear.

Crew work. Have you race driving other boats? How do your results compare?

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 28.5 Tolchester, MD
Racing a Shoal Draft Boat

Previous suggestions were good. For competative racing, you will need a very good bottom finish and a folding or feathering prop to decrease drag. Try to have a sailmaker or knowledgeable sailor check out the condition of your sails, the set-up of the rig, and critique your sail trim. Also , being new to the boat, it may take time to just get used to what works best for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.