Cal 3-27 Cutlass Bearing

WBH

Nov 15, 2020
Cal 27-3 Port Stanley
Hi: I recently bought a 1985 Cal 3-27 and the survey identified that the cutlass bearing is in need of replacing. It has a 1inch shaft according to the electronic caliper and if I remember correctly the hosing that the bearing sits in is 4 inches long. I went to order a bearing online using this info only to discover that there are several that meet those parameters but which also differ in the outside diameter of the bearing. Unfortunately my boat is sitting on the hard 200 km away and our province is in a 28 day lock down due to Covid, so I can't just pop down and do a measurement. Would anyone know the correct specs for the cutlass bearing that fits this boat ? Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Bill

WBH

Nov 15, 2020
Cal 27-3 Port Stanley
Many Thanks Greg. There are four possible options for a 4 in strut, 1 1/4. 1 3/8, 1 1/2 and 1 5/8 in. Since I will be ordering online and I can't get into the marina to do an exact measurement due to the COVID shutdown, I'm hoping that someone with another '85 CAL 3-27 can give me the exact size that I need. That being said, many thanks once again for taking the time to respond and to send me the online store info.

Cheers

Bill

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Sorry Bill, I did not realize there were so many options for a 1” shaft...

more than I thought.

Greg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Hi Bill. Congrats on your CAL 27.

Suspect you are between a rock and a hard place, wanting to order the part sight unseen and then there is the lockdown issue.

Really no way to be certain about the shaft size and the correct cutlass bearing unless you measure it. You need to have the proper size of the Cutlass bearing to work properly.

Since you had the survey, can you ask the surveyor the size of the shaft and the cutlass bearing?

Jan 7, 2011
Hi Bill. Congrats on your CAL 27.

Suspect you are between a rock and a hard place, wanting to order the part sight unseen and then there is the lockdown issue.

Really no way to be certain about the shaft size and the correct cutlass bearing unless you measure it. You need to have the proper size of the Cutlass bearing to work properly.

Since you had the survey, can you ask the surveyor the size of the shaft and the cutlass bearing?
I think he knows the shaft size (1”) and length of the strut (4”), but the one measurement he needs is the OD of the bearing (or the ID of the strut). I did not realize that struts for a 1” shaft could have different ID’s.

So, I think that is the dimension the OP needs....

Greg

WBH

Nov 15, 2020
Cal 27-3 Port Stanley
Bill
I came across this website data that may help.
Hi John:

Many thanks for taking the time to research this for me. I have reviewed practically everything on Youtube on replacing the bearing. It is plan to leave the shaft in place and to have a local blacksmith make me a custom tool once the lockdown is over at the end of January. to remove both the prop and bearing. The design for the tool will be similar to the tools that I have seen used in the Youtube videos. Hence another reason why I need the precise dimensions for the bearing that I want to remove LOL.

Cheers

Bill

Jan 7, 2011
@WBH,

You may have seen this, but my brother-in-law made up this tool for me...
allows me to pull the prop, press out the cutlass bearing and press off the coupling....very handy.
But yes, you do need to know the inside diameter of the strut, in addition to the prop shaft diameter.

Strut bearing replacement:
:(

If you need to remove the shaft (and don’t want to cut it)...

Greg

WBH

Nov 15, 2020
Cal 27-3 Port Stanley
Hi @Greg@ s/v Tally Ho:

Did you find it easy to pop off the prop with this set up or do you think two split plates that could go on the shaft before and after the strut would work better ? I am concerned about damaging the end of the shaft.

Cheers

Bill

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2011
Hi @Greg@ s/v Tally Ho:

Did you find it easy to pop off the prop with this set up or do you think two split plates that could go on the shaft before and after the strut would work better ? I am concerned about damaging the end of the shaft.

Cheers

Bill
Popped off pretty easy for me. Leave a nut on the shaft, near the end, so 1) you don’t mess up the threads and 2 keep the prop from falling on the ground when it pops off.

Greg