Cal 25-2 for bluewater sailing?

Apr 5, 2014
Cal 25-2 Breakwater Cove
Hey everyone, I'm leaving the army in a year or two, selling everything and sailing from CA to FL via the Panama canal. That's the plan, anyway. I own a Cal 25-2 and am wondering what your thoughts are on using this boat to do the trip, assuming that she's in good condition and outfitted with the essentials. Am I going to die? hahaha Seriously, should I upgrade to a 32 or 36'? I will have the ability to upgrade, but would rather not spend the money if I don't need to, because after all this fun, I have to go find a job, and need some dough for the job-hunting period.

I have only used her in Monterey Bay. I've only been out in 20 knots of wind and swells of 11 feet or so. I can't say if she handles well or not--I have no other experience to compare with. I've done one 25-mile trip with no issues, and am doing the 100 mile trip up to San Fran next month.

Jul 28, 2010
Boston Whaler Montauk New Orleans
Assuming she's in good condition, she can probably handle more than you can. Practice, be prepared for the unexpected, ask at places ( like here), get as much knowledge as you can. I think Zeehag will have some experience on this plan.

Kestle

Jun 12, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Pedro
I'd replace the chainplates and strengthen the rigging before you go. Use the old set as your spare. I'd also have a complete steering replacement on board. Three radios, with one and a compass in a faraday cage, to protect against lightning. Also, get and learn to use a drogue.

Just my two bits. Have fun!

Jeff

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Questions

Hey, that's a big trip. Are you going alone (single-handing)? When was the boat last surveyed? Does it have radar? Have you ever sailed at night, and have you ever anchored the boat?

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37 C sloop Punta Gorda FL
Hey everyone, I'm leaving the army in a year or two, selling everything and sailing from CA to FL via the Panama canal. That's the plan, anyway. I own a Cal 25-2 and am wondering what your thoughts are on using this boat to do the trip, assuming that she's in good condition and outfitted with the essentials. Am I going to die? hahaha Seriously, should I upgrade to a 32 or 36'? I will have the ability to upgrade, but would rather not spend the money if I don't need to, because after all this fun, I have to go find a job, and need some dough for the job-hunting period. I have only used her in Monterey Bay. I've only been out in 20 knots of wind and swells of 11 feet or so. I can't say if she handles well or not--I have no other experience to compare with. I've done one 25-mile trip with no issues, and am doing the 100 mile trip up to San Fran next month.[/QUOTE

Google Steve and JaJa Martin . They circumnavigated in a Cal 25. Had two kids en route.

May 21, 2014
Cal 2-25 Moss Landing
Hey Veladora I just purchased a cal 25-2 that is in Moss Landing. Would love to compare notes and hear about your trip up the coast. Send me a note when you can.

Jun 17, 2014
Cal 25 Santa Cruz
Hey Veladora I just purchased a cal 25-2 that is in Moss Landing. Would love to compare notes and hear about your trip up the coast. Send me a note when you can.
Dang it, I think I saw that boat on CL. Looked awesome.

I am no expert sailor, but there is a lot of info about sailing on something small. The point is always made that it is the seaworthiness of the boat and crew, not the size of the boat that matters. Check out episodes 5 and 6 of the sailing podcast with David Andersen.

Oct 29, 2014
cal 25-1 scappose bay
i have a 65 cal 25-1 and am wanting to do the same but from columbia river to the gulf using the panama canal any advice on sailing these boats? i will have a kicker mototr. and am looking at eather a
Furuno 1622 radar for 350 needs cable

or a
Raytheon R20X 24 mile for 300

or a
furuno radar,model 1831 for 100

any ideas?

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
Hey everyone, I'm leaving the army in a year or two, selling everything and sailing from CA to FL via the Panama canal. That's the plan, anyway. I own a Cal 25-2 and am wondering what your thoughts are on using this boat to do the trip, assuming that she's in good condition and outfitted with the essentials. Am I going to die? hahaha Seriously, should I upgrade to a 32 or 36'? I will have the ability to upgrade, but would rather not spend the money if I don't need to, because after all this fun, I have to go find a job, and need some dough for the job-hunting period.

I have only used her in Monterey Bay. I've only been out in 20 knots of wind and swells of 11 feet or so. I can't say if she handles well or not--I have no other experience to compare with. I've done one 25-mile trip with no issues, and am doing the 100 mile trip up to San Fran next month.
the 25 was built as a coastal cruiser, not a blue water boat.... thats not to say you couldnt do ocean crossings in it, but as you are only "coastal cruising" you should be fine providing the boat is set up and outfitted properly.

coastal cruising is kinda defined as being close enough to land where if a large storm is headed your way, you can duck into a port within a reasonable amount of time to weather it out, as opposed to pushing your luck in heavy weather with a boat that it not rigged heavily/properly for "blue water" sailing.

the definition of blue water cruising would closer described as going out of sight of land for several weeks or more in areas where severe storms are very likely or common....

what are your plans after the voyage?? are you intending to live on the boat for any length of time?... if so, go to a 32-36 now and you will be much happier now and later.
people do cruise and live on smaller boats than 25ft, but livaboard life in a marina while having a job to go to every day is a lot more comfortable with just a bit more living space and storage room available.

if you plan to either sell the boat or moor it and get an apartment/house, then the 25 is a great choice to do the trip in...

whether or not you die during the trip may be of some small concern, but how you prepare yourself for the trip and what you are capable of in a tough and demanding situation, can minimize the risk.

and, as death awaits us all, when the lights go out it will all be the same anyway, and I still havent figured out whether it would be better to die fulfilling a dream, to die at work, or to die setting in front of the tv:D:D:D live your dream!