CAL 21 info

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
OK, pictures of Cabin interior and Keel well cover.

I've included a pic from the sales brochure, a copy of another brochure, and then pics of NODROG's interior (including 2 from the day we took delivery in March 1970, I've grown up a bit since then, as has my sister!), plus 2 pics of the interior i n mid-season around 2000.

Gee, did you know there was standing headroom in the V-Berth! Works when you are only 19 months old!

Attachments

Nov 8, 2013
cal 21 any lake
This helps greatly. I will take some pitcures of what I have and what I will have to do.
Again greatly appreciated.

Nov 8, 2013
cal 21 any lake
My next question is how does the keel plug, MODIFIED per NODROD work, I cant seem to rap my head around this one

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2004
Keel Plug fit into the keel well thru the opening in hte cockpit, there was a metal plate that rested against (or at least near) the trailing edge of the keel inside the well, and a vertical piece at the aft end of the plug that fit against the aft end of the well, where it was secured by a wing-nut on a bolt that was installed there above the waterline (bolt was more or less permanently installed with head of bolt inside boat and a nut inside the keel well). We had a steel rod that was attached to the plug near the forward end of the cockpit opening, that attached to the cover for the opening ans served to hold the forward end of the plug in position as wel las hold the cover in place (along with a bungee cord near the aft end of the cover). I'm sure this is all confusing...... heck, it is a lot easier to demonstrate than describe.... but, maybe a few pictures will help? I do have a dimensioned drawing of the keel plug based on our slightly modified setup. It is posted on the www.cal21.com web site, but I might be able to send you a copy (orignal drawing made by my Dad is about 11" x 17")
Stay tuned for a few sketches of the keel well and how the plug fits. I also included a copy of a drawing made by another CAL 21 owner of the cover for the keel well. he made his a bit different, but the dimensions should be close.

Attachments

Nov 8, 2013
cal 21 any lake
Went and bought the supplies to build this keel plug. Hope to have it done this weekend, thanks again for explaining this in further detail.

Nov 8, 2013
cal 21 any lake
restored the trailer this week have a question on supports around swing keel, replaced bunks that still had C21 on them because they were rotted out. There was a piece of wood in the center of trailer that the keel sat on but it looked as though it was an add on, not original.

Nov 8, 2013
cal 21 any lake
I guess to clearify my question was there rollers on the trailer under the keel or was it a piece of wood. Thanks

Jun 2, 2004
I will keep looking for any pictures of CAL 21 trailers that I might have, it sounds like yours is the Factory-supplied one. We didn't have a trailer for NODROG, but now I wish that I'd taken pictures of the trailers from our former neighbor's CAL 21 and Chris Fox's CAL 21 (Was Jim's). I'm not sure if the new owner of NODROG is using a factory trailer or an aftermarket one, I've never seen the trailer (he had the trailer from his 1st CAL 21..... which had lost her keel...... long story short, he bought our boat instead of trying to find/build a new keel).

Many of the other trailerable boats built around the time of the CAL 21 used a rubber, "bow-stop" bolted to the trailer frame to support the weight of the keel. I have added a few pics of the factory trailer.... too bad none show the support for the keel! However, in the one showing the mast being stepped..... it does appear that there is a roller that just might be supporting the keel? As I say....... too bad I didn't take any pics of either of the 2 CAL 21 trailers that I have seen up close!!

Attachments

Jun 18, 2011
Hunter 22 Low Country
Where did you store your house battery? My Cal has the battery to the left of the swing keel as you look forward. It looks the same place you have a "step" through to the forward cushions?

Jun 2, 2004
We had our battery (Group 24) located under the cockpit, along the port-side of the keel trunk, against the forward side of the bulkhead just aft of the keel trunk. Dad built a plywood box that housed the battery, it slid in from forward on a floorboard that we added to keep items stowed under there "dry". I don't think I have any pictures..... but will check!

Originally, we used a dry-cell 12 V battery ,stowed aft in the lazerette. no fun to install/retreive.... but it didn't weigh much. Later we switched to a small ,motorcycle wet-cell battery stowed in a plywood box just aft of the bulkhead at the aft end of hte keel trunk. We finally upgraded to the larger, Group 24 battery around 1991-2 when we added a battery-charging coil to our outboard.

Feb 18, 2014
Macgregor 21 Sarasota
Mr. Johnson, you are a lifesaver. I have been looking for how to repair my "new" Cal 21 and I have been following your posts over multiple forums. I have learned a wealth of information from them. Thanks again.